“We are NOT recommending this hotel!”

Kreutzwald Hotel Tallinn
Ranked #13 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Reviewed 23 July 2011

We stayd in this hotel one night whit two kids. We did select this hotell and the ZEN suite because following reasons. There was jacuzzy, air-conditioning, computer and internet.
So, first ther was no hot water in first day (only late in evening). They did know that
in advance but DIDINT inform us about that. So no baht for children. Air-conditioning didint work. We spend really hot and sweaty night there. Internet didint work either.
Like this wasent enough, midle of night we notice that under the bed and radiator there was huge amount water in the flor. So, we ring to reseption and they bring some towels to dry the flor.
I wondt call this room a suite. My view is that suite is somethin biger, better and luxury. This room was only little bit biger than standard room normally and did have jacyzzy (really noisy).
My last point is that hotel did know that there is four people our group but still there was only two towels for us. There was no extra bed ready even i did ask for it when i did the resevation and I did get comfirmation about that.
We did get 30 euros discount from to room price but it wasent even half the price. So I´m not happy. I think that after everything it wold be fair to not pay at all.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Marika-from-Finland
uniquehotels, Member of the Board at Kreutzwald Hotel Tallinn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2011

Dear Marika,

thanks for you review , i was frankly shocked at your comments and i have investigated this morning. I am sorry there are some major misundertandings here which would make your review misleading to other potential clients. I always take reviews seriously and react, but as this is our worst review in history I wish to be clear and factual re this.

The reason the extra bed was not in the room plus extra towels was because you checked in just after 12 noon , and we allowed you into the room early due to the fact you had children (check in is 2PM) the extra bed and towels followed shortly afterwards, I see no fault in this, only flexibility from our side.

The city turned off the water for annual cleaning , the signs where on the lift /reception and very visable, I am sorry for the inconvienience but it affected the whole city and if future we will place more signage around the hotel if this happens again

The water in your room was from the Jacuzzi bath you used in the evening and the water spilled into the room , this have never happened before and under normal use it does not happen. The Jacuzzi is brand new and noise levels are the same as all Jacuzzi baths.

The AC units are new the problem we have found is guests open the windows also resulting in the the problem the AC will not be able to combat temps of around 35 degrees we have been having. thanks for your comment we now are putting a notification re this in the keycards so guests leave the windows closed if they want to use the AC.

Thanks for your comments re the suite , it is our newly renovated suite , pictures are available on the website and we have had only great comments about it. You paid 115 euros inc bfast for 4 people , representing a 50% discount.

The wifi is seamless and free and does not break down , maybe you had a problem with the computer ? did reception come and fix this ? Usually a restart fixes the problem but i need futher comments from you re this.

I have tried to contact you but no response so far. Please reply so we can discuss further and resolve this.

Reviewed 20 July 2011

I travel a lot, visited many hotels and this is one of the best. In this hotel friendly staff and service at the highest level. I advise the hotel to all tourists.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Service from reception was perfunctory and lacked warmth. The happiness and satisfaction of guests seemed to be low on the list of priorities.
Bedrooms were clean and of a good size. A computer with internet access was provided in the room, with free wireless access. A kettle was also provided along with tea and coffee, though replenishment took a visit to reception, where my information that we had ran out of coffee was met with I'll write it down rather than would you like me to get you some.
The breakfast appeared to be appreciated by others, I found it disappointing that some items were not always available for instance croissant and bananas were not available every day, and some items seemed stale.
The hotel was quiet and is a 5-10 minute walk from the old town. The cost of a taxi to/from the airport was 6/7 euros.
Overall the hotel was fine for a short stay but the breakfast and lack of good service would put me off a longer stay.

Room Tip: Apparently those at the back get very hot
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
uniquehotels, Owner at Kreutzwald Hotel Tallinn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2011

Thanks very much for your review, very constructive remarks, did you discuss these problems with anybody whilist you were here?
I have been dealing with this feedback with the Front Office Manager, and frankly we are quite shocked you were treated like this. We have spare coffee refills available so it beggers belief why the receptionist did not provide them immediatley . We pride ourselves on customer service and this i apoloigise for. What i need is your dates of stay, i will send you a message through the site , please let me know. I am sorry to hear the breakfast did not meet your expectations, We have a very large selection of items , hot , cold cuts breads , pastries fruit etc etc , unfortunatley we cannot be 100% accurate of the tastes of our guests , so for example if we run out of bananas we always replace with some other form of fruit , pastries are also varied. We get great commnents normally re our breakfast and i know for a fact it is a much larger variety than our competitiors in the 4 star segment. The "stale" comment , i need to get more details , if it was the bread? this is delivered every morning fresh , so i would also need more details.
thanks for your time for commenting.

Reviewed 13 June 2011

This hotel is a ten to fifteen minute walk from the town square. This was OK for us as we were away from the noise and bustle of the old town during the night. Younger people may prefer to stay nearer the nightlife in the town centre. Bring your own laptop, I didn't, as the hotel advertised a computer with internet access in the room. The computer was there but the internet was very intermittent and the computer repeatedly crashed. I asked for this to be recified every day, but it was not, on our last day we were offered the use of one of the hotel's spare laptops. There was free wireless internet in the hotel and much of Tallinn. The Zen room with jacuzzi was much appreciated by my wife.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Thanks so much for the positive review. We have had problems with the computers in the room because the server we have simply cannot cope with the demand during full occupancy due to the fact software updates today take so much room. We now are changing the server so by next week all will be back in order. We provide the computers which are small thinclient servers connected to a large server free of charge in the event people do not bring laptops etc and have been very popular with tourists as well as our business clients. This is a temporary fault which i apologize for.

Reviewed 13 June 2011

I spent 3 nights in the Kreutzwald Hotel in Tallinn in January 2011, and was very impressed with the experience. Of course at that time of year it was quite quiet, which meant there were very few fellow guests at the breakfast tables. The breakfasts were superb, and I was able to help myself to a very wide range of hot and cold food.
I travelled by bus in from the airport, and the hotel was easy to find being fairly central, and very handy for the old town. The staff in the hotel very helpful with advice about how to get about town and back to the airport by bus,
My room was very comfortable, and I would thoroughly recommend the Kreutzwald Hotel to any traveller with unpretentious tastes.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 June 2011

Friendly, helpful and professional staff. Lovely interior. Good location - less than 10 minute walk to Old Town. The breakfast had good variety and the restaurant had good food at good prices. I would stay there again any time.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2011

The Kreutzwald Hotel in Tallinn was an absolutly great hotel. I was travelling with my wife in a tour group and stayed for two nights in a superior room. The room was spacious enough and the best thing was that it had a computer which you can use free of charge. We also enjoyed a massage that we ordered. At first sight it the spa did not impress us very much, but the quality and price of treatments was excellent. Overall it was a good experience and i would stay there again.