“Nice hotel, great buffet breakfast”

Kreutzwald Hotel Tallinn
Ranked #12 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Reviewed 5 August 2011

This was a nice hotel with friendly and attentive staff. The location is good - not great. It is less than 10 minutes to the old city, which is nice when the weather is good. It felt a bit tedious in pouring rain. Two things I did not like were related to the windows. Because it was raining, the noise from the street was even louder than usual. The windows were not soundproofed, and I think that if you are a claiming to be a 4 star hotel and are located on a busy streets, the windows one the streets side at least should be sturdy and soundproof. The other thing was the window coverings. They were the roll-down bamboo type and simply not adequate for blocking out light - which is especially important in Tallinn in the summer. The bright light through the windows made it very hard to sleep. Other than that, we liked the hotel. The computer in the room was a nice touch, although it was some Russian-made thing that did not work well. The jacuzzi was great. The breakfast in the morning was very extensive and delicious. I would stay here again.

1  Thank ug97

Reviewed 28 July 2011

I stayed at Kreutzwald hotel last week. For the price this was excellent value. Hotel is in a good location about 10mins walk from the border of old town. We stayed together with my girlfriend in a standard room for a long weekend. The room was spacious and with really soft pillows which made the sleep very good. As it was a romantic getaway for us we treated ourself with a massage after arriving from the airport- at the beginning I was expecting a big spa, to my suprise it was nice, small and cosy and best of all the massages we got were done by real proffessionals. I would recommend this hotel if you do not mind taking a small walk to the hotel and wish to relax outside the busy old town.

Reviewed 27 July 2011

We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights and had a triple room. We were pleasantly surprised when on arrival we had been given a zen room with jacuzzi bath and it was nice and spacious! Beds comfy and air conditioning was good as it was hot weather! There were a few downsides however. We were allocated a room at the front of the hotel and as it is situated on a busy main road with trolley buses, normal buses and cars, we found ourselves getting little to no sleep on the first night. We asked to swap to a room at the rear of the hotel the next morning but were told the hotel was full- didn't look full to us so therefore had to sleep with tissue in our ears for the other few nights! Also, breakfast was disappointing but that is simply taste - nothing like you would find in britain but I'm sure other Europeans would enjoy!
We were in Tallinn to support a family member in the athletics being held there and found that we could get a bus from outside the hotel. Public transport is good and there is bus stops just outside the hotel! This hotel is in a great location - about 10 mins walk from old town so it's great for exploring!
Overall, would recommend this hotel to anyone planning a trip to Tallinn and is great value for money - just request a room at the rear of the hotel!

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Took my boyfriend here as a surprise 21st present and stayed 2 nights in the luxurious amazing Zen room. Room was nice, clean and spacious with TV and computer present. The jacuzzi in the bathroom was simply sublime. Staff were very friendly and helpful, called down to the reception one night to request bath robes and within 60 seconds a member of staff was at our door holding 2 fresh bathrobes for us. What amazing service! Breakfast was good, plenty of choice. Went for a wonderfully relaxing massage in the spa inside the hotel and it was fairly priced and they even gave us 10% discount. Hotel was about 5 mins walk away from the old town which was also brilliant. I hghly recommend this hotel and would advise anyone staying to book a zen room or suite as the jacuzzi baths are out of this world and very romantic :)
Also, check out the museum of of occupations near by for a glimpse of what life used to be like for the Estonians. And make sure to eat in the old hansaa in the old town, for a feast fit for a king!

Room Tip: Book a Zen room for a touch of sheer luxury.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
uniquehotels, Member of the Board Unique Hotels Group at Kreutzwald Hotel Tallinn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2011

Thanks so much for your review! It is very refreshing to get positive reviews like this, and it helps the team feel motivated that their service really is appreciated.

Please contact me direct if you plan to return ,

Again thanks
Paul

Reviewed 23 July 2011

We stayd in this hotel one night whit two kids. We did select this hotell and the ZEN suite because following reasons. There was jacuzzy, air-conditioning, computer and internet.
So, first ther was no hot water in first day (only late in evening). They did know that
in advance but DIDINT inform us about that. So no baht for children. Air-conditioning didint work. We spend really hot and sweaty night there. Internet didint work either.
Like this wasent enough, midle of night we notice that under the bed and radiator there was huge amount water in the flor. So, we ring to reseption and they bring some towels to dry the flor.
I wondt call this room a suite. My view is that suite is somethin biger, better and luxury. This room was only little bit biger than standard room normally and did have jacyzzy (really noisy).
My last point is that hotel did know that there is four people our group but still there was only two towels for us. There was no extra bed ready even i did ask for it when i did the resevation and I did get comfirmation about that.
We did get 30 euros discount from to room price but it wasent even half the price. So I´m not happy. I think that after everything it wold be fair to not pay at all.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Marika-from-Finland
uniquehotels, Member of the Board at Kreutzwald Hotel Tallinn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2011

Dear Marika,

thanks for you review , i was frankly shocked at your comments and i have investigated this morning. I am sorry there are some major misundertandings here which would make your review misleading to other potential clients. I always take reviews seriously and react, but as this is our worst review in history I wish to be clear and factual re this.

The reason the extra bed was not in the room plus extra towels was because you checked in just after 12 noon , and we allowed you into the room early due to the fact you had children (check in is 2PM) the extra bed and towels followed shortly afterwards, I see no fault in this, only flexibility from our side.

The city turned off the water for annual cleaning , the signs where on the lift /reception and very visable, I am sorry for the inconvienience but it affected the whole city and if future we will place more signage around the hotel if this happens again

The water in your room was from the Jacuzzi bath you used in the evening and the water spilled into the room , this have never happened before and under normal use it does not happen. The Jacuzzi is brand new and noise levels are the same as all Jacuzzi baths.

The AC units are new the problem we have found is guests open the windows also resulting in the the problem the AC will not be able to combat temps of around 35 degrees we have been having. thanks for your comment we now are putting a notification re this in the keycards so guests leave the windows closed if they want to use the AC.

Thanks for your comments re the suite , it is our newly renovated suite , pictures are available on the website and we have had only great comments about it. You paid 115 euros inc bfast for 4 people , representing a 50% discount.

The wifi is seamless and free and does not break down , maybe you had a problem with the computer ? did reception come and fix this ? Usually a restart fixes the problem but i need futher comments from you re this.

I have tried to contact you but no response so far. Please reply so we can discuss further and resolve this.

Reviewed 20 July 2011

I travel a lot, visited many hotels and this is one of the best. In this hotel friendly staff and service at the highest level. I advise the hotel to all tourists.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Service from reception was perfunctory and lacked warmth. The happiness and satisfaction of guests seemed to be low on the list of priorities.
Bedrooms were clean and of a good size. A computer with internet access was provided in the room, with free wireless access. A kettle was also provided along with tea and coffee, though replenishment took a visit to reception, where my information that we had ran out of coffee was met with I'll write it down rather than would you like me to get you some.
The breakfast appeared to be appreciated by others, I found it disappointing that some items were not always available for instance croissant and bananas were not available every day, and some items seemed stale.
The hotel was quiet and is a 5-10 minute walk from the old town. The cost of a taxi to/from the airport was 6/7 euros.
Overall the hotel was fine for a short stay but the breakfast and lack of good service would put me off a longer stay.

Room Tip: Apparently those at the back get very hot
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
uniquehotels, Owner at Kreutzwald Hotel Tallinn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2011

Thanks very much for your review, very constructive remarks, did you discuss these problems with anybody whilist you were here?
I have been dealing with this feedback with the Front Office Manager, and frankly we are quite shocked you were treated like this. We have spare coffee refills available so it beggers belief why the receptionist did not provide them immediatley . We pride ourselves on customer service and this i apoloigise for. What i need is your dates of stay, i will send you a message through the site , please let me know. I am sorry to hear the breakfast did not meet your expectations, We have a very large selection of items , hot , cold cuts breads , pastries fruit etc etc , unfortunatley we cannot be 100% accurate of the tastes of our guests , so for example if we run out of bananas we always replace with some other form of fruit , pastries are also varied. We get great commnents normally re our breakfast and i know for a fact it is a much larger variety than our competitiors in the 4 star segment. The "stale" comment , i need to get more details , if it was the bread? this is delivered every morning fresh , so i would also need more details.
thanks for your time for commenting.