“Good location!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 82 Hotels in Tallinn
Turku
“Good location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2007

Hotel's location is great, about 15 minutes walking distance to Old Town and about 5-10 min to huge shopping center Kristine keskus.

Breakfast was manysided enough and service was good. Room was spacious and facilities was excellent (tv, internet, tee/coffee for a charge). Only bad thing was that we had non-smoking room and we had to smell smoke through the air-condition...

If you book this hotel, I recommend to ask room located in back yard side, because road in front of this hotel is very busy.

In this hotel exists also spa. Restaurant in this hotel is very comfortable with very stylish decoration and prices are low.

Good choice. (We booked this hotel via hotels.com and price was unbelievable cheap!!)

• Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank JenniFi
uniquetallinn, member of the board at Kreutzwald Hotel Tallinn, responded to this review, 29 December 2007
many thanks for you nice comments ! I am sorry re the smoke smell i have not heard about this and will investigate , it should not happen the system is brand new and the air should be clean, i am sure it is a simple problem to solve. i also think you meant we have in room tea coffee and comptuter with wifi for a "change" not "charge " ? All our in room facilites are free of charge and we do not charge for the use of computer or the wifi connection, for us providing wifi and connections is like having running water in the room , it is free :)

Thanks
Paul
Paul@uniquestay.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
Cardiff
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2007

Just arrived home from a three night stay in Tallinn. We had booked the standard room but upon check-in we realised that upgrades were available at €20 per night for a Zen room or €30 for a suite.

No suites were available so we asked to see the Zen room and immediately upgraded. If you fancy using the Hotel Jaccuzzi then you might as well pay the upgrade to get one in your own bathroom.

The room was spacious with an excellent bed. Breakfast was plentifull with a wide selection, and the bar prices for food and drinks also seemed reasonable.

The hotel is located some 10-15 minutes from the old town, and 15-20 minutes from the Airport bus stop in the new town. Not the best location but still very convenient.

We found plenty to do in Tallinn, with the 3 days taken up pretty much in the Old Town walks. We plan to return in the summer to enjoy the parks further affield.

Plenty of restauraunts to choose from at varying prices and the shopper would be delighted at the array of stores available in the new town - allthough these did seem quite pricey.

Travel tip - if you have any Euro's then take them as most shops seemed to accept these in addition to their local currency, and at excellent exchange rates.

There are plenty of commission free exchange booths around the Old town that also offer good exchange rates - so dont worry if you are not sure that you have changed enough money before you leave.

• Stayed December 2007
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2007

Treated my boyfriend to a birthday getaway, so i booked up Tallinn and this hotel as i though Tallinn would be something a little different.

This hotel was perfect!! I cannot fault it in anyway!

Before i came here i emailed the hotel as i relised after i had booked a standard room with ebookers, that this hotel did actually have upgraded rooms for a suplment. I got an email within minutes and the info i recieved was excelent. Anna from unistay was wonderful and answers all the questions and more! She sent me pics of the rooms, what they included, everything you would ever need and the comunication was perfect.

It made you really feel like this hotel cares about you personally and isnt in it just to make money.

When we arrived the hotel looks pretty impresssive. The staff was wonderful and Anna even asked us to call for her on arrival to say a hello and welcome! Very impressive.

Our Zen room was lovely. Very clean, spacious and all with flat screen internet and a jazzui bath! The decor is great and you can tell that pride is one thing that this hotel promotes.

We stayed in this room for one night and then upgraded to the Suite that the hotel boasts on the 5th floor. The prices between the Standard, zen rooms and suite was hardly nothing concidering just what you get! We wanted the suite on the first night but it was occupied (that was my fault of not telling them quicker) but the hotel moved us in the morning and we had the remainding two nights in the suite. Everything was pretty much the same apart from you get a living room area and the bathroom is much bigger and comes with jazzui bath and a seperate shower! It was lovely, but both the Zen room and suite were lovely! Just a little bit special staying in the suit!!

The breakfast was lovely with a selection of hot and cold food. You get breads, toasts, cereals, cold meats ect and you also get the american/english style breakfast of bacon, eggy bread, dippy and boild eggs, beans, sausages ect. There is plenty of choice for everyone with nice real fruit juice! All served in a nice resturant/bar.

I would reconmend this hotel to anyone!! Its so cheap, clean and i havent 1 bad word to say about it.

The location is pretty out of the way, you are looking at a good 10minutes walk to get into the old town which i supose is the only set back, but it didnt really bother us (especailly after a drunken night!). There is transport to get there if you wished, but we just walked. You turn right outside the hotel, keep walking stright past about three roads if i remeber, and then you are there. Look out for the macdonalds signpost as then you know you are near the action when there is a mcdonalds bung there!

Tallinn, if i am honest, is a nice place but does have limited things to do during the day. If you want to get drunk and eat all day, then its perfect, but not too much to do otherwise. Not even that many shops!

I did notice many stip clubs though so i can defintely see why all the blokes on a weekend would want to go!

I have also been to Prague which i though was a much more interesting city, but Tallinn defo made a change.

There are a few nice tallinn resturants and bars which are good to visit, ask the recepion for info and they also give you a town map which is essential to keep to hand!!

All in all, this hotel was fantasic and if i do return, i would 100% book up to stay here!

• Liked — the rooms
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kazprincess
England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2007

I stayed at the Mihkli for three nights with three friends and we had two single rooms and a Zen suite. To deal with the subject of the title first; when booking the room via Lastminute.com I had requested a smoking room for myself but on arrival discovered that the room was non-smoking (with an additional 'cleaning charge' equivalent to one night's room rate if you lit up). I asked the receptionist if I could be moved to a smoking room but was told with a slightly superior smile that all of the bedrooms were non-smoking. As all of the public areas including the lobby and bar are (understandably) also non-smoking the outcome was a trip to the front of the hotel to join the other guilty smokers which, believe me, isn't a bundle of laughs when the snow's blowing in horizontally at 1am. Don't get me wrong (and this is assuming what the receptionist told me was correct) it's the hotel's perogative not to offer any smoking rooms and I'm sure many people reading this review will applaud such a policy. But I wish the hotel had advertised this beforehand so we could have made an informed choice. Nowhere on their website could I find any reference to all rooms being non-smoking and, interestingly, the in-room literature refers to non-smoking rooms being available 'on request'.

That gripe aside the Mihkli gets a lot of the basics right. It's situated on a fairly anonymous but safe road leading away from the Old Town. The hotel somewhat optimistically says that it's a 9 minute walk to the Old Town but unless you're bionic you can count on 15-20 minutes to the Town Hall Square up a (not very steep) hill. There are also regular buses and trams which stop just outside and will get you a bit closer. The hotel feels light and airy, public areas and bedrooms are well decorated in neutral colours and the whole place is kept immaculately clean. Someone earlier compared the hotel to a Travelodge, which is probably doing it a dis-service as it feels slightly more upmarket, but it does have the same corporate, rather clinical feel to it.

The size of the rooms seems to vary - my single was a decent size with a large bathroom but my friend's single down the corridor was fairly cramped. The other couple with us were pleased with their Zen suite which was a lot more spacious and warranted the additional cost. There's a good range of TV channels including BBC world and CNN and although many were Estonian or Russian they seemed to show a lot of UK and US shows and films in the original version with sub-titles. I had to ask twice to get my internet connected (I think it was just an unplugged cable somewhere) but once up and running the connection was very quick and stable.

Breakfast is downstairs in a large and pleasant farmhouse-style basement. The Mihkli gets full marks for offering a wide variety of hot and cold items although the standard's probably best described as edible rather than memorable (though apparently the pickled fish was very good if you like that sort of thing).

I didn't try the sauna or other health and fitness facilities but those friends who did were very complimentary about the standards and felt that the massages and treatments were good value for money.

All of the staff we dealt with spoke good English and generally seemed very competent although standards of friendliness varied quite considerably.

As I've said the hotel gets a lot of the basics right but lets itself down in certain areas which could easily be addressed. Some examples:

The beds are extremely comfotable (mine was one of the best I've slept in at an hotel) but we were all complaining about the thin flat pillows that offered the support of a limp lettuce leaf.

Tea and coffee facilities were provided but with only one small pot of pretty disgusting coffee whitener.

The (fairly bland and uninviting) restaurant served some decent food at reasonable prices but the drinks prices were very steep - 55 EEK for a beer is more than you'll pay at a good bar on Town Hall Square. Also 40 EEK for a small bottle of mineral water at reception is, in my view, a rip-off.

The mini-bar in the Zen room wasn't restocked throughout the stay.

The hotel bar is allegedly open until 'late' but when we went to get served again at 10.45 one night we were told service had stopped (no advance notice) and to make sure we got the message the music was immediately yanked off and the lights flashed on and off - not great customer service.

Would I stay there again? The smoking issue aside, probably not, I'd be likely to pay extra for a more upmarket hotel in the centre. But I do recognise that the hotel's rates are very competitive and overall offer good value for money so if you're on a tight budget it's still worth considering. Personally I'd be happier if they charged a few pounds extra per night and got rid of some of the cost-cutting and mark-ups that prevent me from giving it a higher rating.

• Stayed November 2007, travelled with friends
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
uniquetallinn, Member of the Board at Kreutzwald Hotel Tallinn, responded to this review, 2 December 2007
Hallo , many thanks for your review. I must make certain things clear. Estonia is part of the EU and adheres to the strict non smoking rule in public areas as do all EU hotels. We actually have 5 smokers rooms as these are deemed private areas, and I am sorry the receptionist failed to point this out, with a superior smile or not , she should know.

They actually are given first come first serve. So i imagine there were all occupied.
At lot of the hotels in Tallinn do not have ANY smoking rooms, you will also find the smokers in the hotel outside smoking all around town , and around Europe.

I am not aware any hotels in Tallinn have any other facility besides the outdoors, this is the law and i think is understood by all smokers by now.

Thankyou for your positive comments also, the hotel is situated next to the national library and is a nine minute walk to the freedon square which is the old town. There is the old town square but even this is only a 2-3 minute walk from the freedom square ? I walk this route all the time as I live in the Old town. I am of average fitness, and even my father aged 77 made the walk in the same time.

I am happy in general you enjoyed your stay. I have noted the comment re the coffee powder in the room. I will look into alternatives.
We still are the only 3 star hotel offering this t , so i agree it would be great to change this aspect.

I take the comment re the treatment you had in the bar, very seriously, please could you let me know the dates you stayed and when thsi happened. Behavior like this from a member of staff is not acceptable and is against all training standards.

Re the prices of beverages , they are comparable to the old town pub prices plus or minus 5 eek . We do not have the volume and buying power of some of the larger bars. so i think the slight difference justified. Our dish of the day for example is around 80 pence so we make up for it in other areas:)

Please give me your dates of stay and the date of the bar incident: paul@uniquestay.com

If you do come back let me know, i can arrange for you a hotel in the centre of the old town, it will cost much more of course but i would be more then willing to help.

Tallinn, Estonia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2007

We stayed 3 nights and the Mihkli Uniquestay in Tallinn after a recommendation from a friend living in this wonderful city.

The room was large and modern - I think the hotel had recently been refurbished and had a computer. Great cafe which was also used by the locals.

Staff were friendly and took the time to help us discover the best of Tallinn which made such a difference from other experiences in Eastern Europe. Bocca was a great Italian restaurant, VS Cafe for top curry. Also had a fun evening in a Russian Restaurant called Troika on the main square.

Great find - will definitely visit Tallinn again.

• Liked — Friendly and knowlegable staff
  • Disliked — No Sky TV
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BillyBigTime
Bozman
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2007

In early August, I and a fellow traveler walked into the lobby of the Uniquestay Mihkli during one of the hottest summer weekends in decades. We had no reservations, and had been turned away by several other establishments. We expected the same here, and that our list of reasonable options was dwindling.

What we found instead was a staff that was genuinely concerned with our predicament, and rather than turn us away, Zhanna Mitjushova, Natalja Ekker, and Valeria Ekker took us under their wings, first searching other hotels for rooms as we waited in the cool of their lobby, and when that proved fruitless, rearranging accomodations within the Uniquestay to get the two of us into a single room for the night and a double for the next night. We put them out, but they treated us as if they were at fault, even to the extreme of sending a delightful refreshment platter to us after an inadvertant move to another room was necessary. My friend and I were most impressed, and after all my travels in Europe, Canada and the United States, I don't think I have ever been treated as cordially and professsionally as did these ladies; our US hotel staffers could learn a great deal from these three people in how to treat a guest in their establisments.

My recommendation: stay at this hotel. I will again.

Stayed August 2007
2 Thank Michael W
Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2007

My reason for my visit to Tallinn was to see how it had progressed over the years. I was last there in 1993.
Needless to say it has changed along with the prices.

My wife and I booked 4 days at the Uniqestay Hotel. We had a Zen room which was to the rear of the property. The room was big and airy with a huge bathroom complete with a corner bath. Lots of hot water.
The room was clean and had free internet. The beds were spotless, large and very confortable. The room was very quiet. although the rooms at the front of the Hotel may be a bit noisey as they overlook the main road.
There is also a safe F.O.C. in the room

Breakfast was a buffet with a good selection of food served in pleasant surroundings. Food was available in the evening served to an acceptable standard.
The hotel is clean and well run. It is well within walking distance to the Old Town. For a Hotel in this price range you would be hard put to find a similar one in the UK
I cannot think of anything to complain about this hotel Its just good value for money

When in the Old Town do not miss a visit to the Olde Hansa for a unique eating experiance

Stayed September 2007