“What is 'unique' about Unique Hotels?”

Kreutzwald Hotel Tallinn
Ranked #14 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Reviewed 17 November 2011

My sister & I took a long weekend break to Tallinn & Helsinki, using Tallinn as a cheaper way of getting to Helsinki where her daughter is at university. Our stay at the Kreuzwald was for our last 2 nights and my niece also joined us. We had standard rooms which were fairly similar although my niece's shower room was slightly larger.
The rooms were small and simple with laminate flooring and melamine 'flat pack' style furniture, spotlessly clean, warm and equipped with a hospitality tray, computer & TV (no BBC World but some English language foreign channels). The shower room seemed newly fitted but had a smell of drains; the shower did not have a separate tray but was a simple raised edge built into the floor. There was lots of hot water but no screen only a curtain (which wrapped round your legs) so water splashed on the floor. With an official 4* rating we were disappointed with the accommodation.
We had our evening meal in the Library Restaurant which was tastefully laid out but we were only offered the menu from the Brazilian restaurant. Maybe it was our choices but the food was strange. A spicy Brazilian curry that was mainly sauce and served without rice (or any thing else), a citrus chicken dish (chicken breast with a bland sauce that seemed to come out of a jar, served with half a lemon and greasy fried peppers, the so-called 'wok vegetables'). This had to be sent back for re-heating. The other was a curious pork dish with bean stew.
At least the surroundings were pleasant in contrast to the Brazilian restaurant, a gloomy semi-basement more bar than restaurant, where breakfast is served. The food was fine, with enough selection for all tastes & in sufficient quantity to set one up for the day but it's not a place to linger. No doubt it could have lots of atmosphere for a packed music night but in the cold light of day the decorations looked tacky & weird.
Arriving by taxi from the port gave a distorted impression of the location of the Kreuzwald & it was closer to the Old Town than it first appeared, just 5-10 mins walk. The receptionist was very professional & friendly and gave helpful advice & directions.
All in all it was a satisfactory stay and reasonable value but not as good or as cheap as the Domina Ilmarine where we spent the first night of our trip. It was not apparent, however, what the 'unique' concept of Uniquestay Hotels entailed.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are small & fuctional, you may be better off paying more to upgrade.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank laNyonsaise

Reviewed 14 November 2011

I stayed in the Kreutzwald Hotel at the end of October 2011
I found the staff to be very pleasant and helpful and the rooms were excellent.
Rooms were Clean, fresh towels and extra on request. The PC in the room with free internet access was a brilliant addition. The bar downstairs was a lovely place to relax before heading into the old town. The location is fine if you dont mind getting the No. 7 Bus for two stops!! Its easy to find. When you exit the front door, turn left and observe the bus stop in front of the kiosk about 70m away. Two Stops will leave you within mins of the old town.

Overall, we all enjoyed our short stay with the Kreutzwald and would not hesitate to return when visitiing Tallinn!!!

Keep up the good work Kreutzwald!!

Room Tip: Get the No. 7 Bus from the stop to the LHS of the front door, its a great way to get to the town ce...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Really Nice hotel with exellent facilities. I was very impressed with the size of the room and the quality of the fixtures and fittings. Nice touch having both Hi speed wifi and a full pc terminal in the room. Excellent coffee machine and very well equipped bathroom, spa bath and shower. I had a Zen Double Room and was very pleased with the cleanliness and comfort it afforded me. The restuarant in the basement is Brazilian and offers really well cooked meats including a steak on a lava rock, and some of the best spicy wings Ive ever had. If you need a different flavour I would recommend the chinese takeaway just next door to the hotel. Reasonable prices and huge portions so beware. Half portions are more than enough to satify that Monsodium Glutamate fix lol Overall a great hotel for business with a central location.

Room Tip: Definately upgrade to a Zen Room the basic doubles are little dowdy and dont have the benefits of th...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Guardo66
Reviewed 9 November 2011

We stayed 3 nights in June 2011. Hotel situated 10 minute walk distance to Old Town. When consider price/quality index this hotel highly recommendable for us.

We stayed in Zen type room. This rooms have jacuzzi. Rooms are large for european standards. Breakfast good enough. Hotel situated in silent region.

Staff are very helpful. We need to buy bus ticket and print it from internet so they did it for us at reception.

If you can walk 8-10 minutes to Old Town we recommend this hotel for you with less price :)

Room Tip: Select Zen Room
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2011

This one ain't a keeper.
Don't get me wrong - the hotel itself is not half-bad, but I had a bad experience with them.
First of all - I booked a room for two. Twin beds. Then I sent them an e-mail to clarify that everything is OK. No answer. Sent to more letters. Still nothing. Tryed calling them for a day. Luckily managed to get them on the phone by accident - explained my situation. Everything seemed to be okay. I also wanted an earlier check-in and extended check-out. I was guaranteed an earlier check-in.

So, I arrive at the hotel and I'm told that the check-in is at 14:00. I explain them that I sent three bloody letters and called already at which point I'm told to "Go away. Rooms aren't ready and they can't vouch for what someone sayed on the phone."
I raised an eyebrow and my voice at which point the manager showed up out of nowhere. With a smile and aim to please she got my room ready in 15 minutes. I asked them about their carrier pidgeon - why hasn't there been any reply to e-mails? Well, turns out, the staff had read my e-mails, but for whatever reason they didn't bother to answer. They sayed that usually they answer right away, but that's all I got out of them.
Luckily I got the extended check-out aswell.

So, fast forward to the next day. I went out to eat and when I return my keycard doesn't work.
I go to the receptionist, who didn't even bother to say hello back or say anything for that matter. He just took my TWO keycards, threw one away and gave one back to me after he was done with it. He didn't even give me an explanation as to why only one. Since there were two people booked for the room and I gave him two.

The hotel also has a nice little Brazilian restaraunt. Reasonably priced. Amazingly, I should mention. Hotel also serves breakfast there in the mornings. Breakfast is really plentiful. Don't let the "continental" style fool you. You have everything you might want. Only drawback is - the food really doesn't taste of...anything really. No salt/pepper/spices to spruce up your breakfast which is kinda sad.
But in detail:
+ Rather good location
+Reasonably priced
+More or less clean rooms
+Amenities
+Computer in every room with free and unlimited wifi usage.

-Really rude service
- Only one free plug to charge your electronic devices...which has to be accessed by moving

-/+The breakfast was plentiful, but tasted bland. Like..all the taste of it had been sucked out.
the table. Or you can just pull out TV/computer.
-/+ Really slow computers, I must add.
-/+ Non-smoking rooms strictly. People at the first floor might have to deal with the second hand smoke coming from the outside of the hotel, since most guests will be staying near the entrance while they get their tobacco on. When I arrived there was a lady who complained about it three times before staff did something about it and turned the ventilation on to ease the guests pain.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
uniquehotels, Member of the Board at Kreutzwald Hotel Tallinn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2011

Dear Tonu,

Thanks for your review. I am sorry you received such an unpleasant attitude from our receptionst, which of course is completely unacceptable and we have taken appropiate action.

Re response times and accuracy, we have investigated the "paper trail" and you sent an email to reception on the 4th which was responded to on the 5th by our Reservation Manager, explaining we will try to offer an early check in if possible. The second email was sent on the 6th and answered a few hours later. We have a maximum 24 hour response policy which i think is perfectly reasonable.

Thanks for the comments re breakfast. We have recently upgraded again and offer more cheeses and breads, to comliment the vast array we already have.

I have discussed with the chef about more seasoning without making the food too salty, I am sorry despite many excellent reviews about our breakfast you were not happy.
We have completely renovated the hotel last year and we have one of the freshest properties on the market. We are also upgrading our Brazilian restaurant this winter and have enlarged and beautified the car park , needless to say many improvements have been made
I would like to discuss this further with you, as i take these comments very seriously and thanks for taking the time to write them down.
Please could you send me a mail with your telephone number?

Reviewed 30 September 2011

We stayed in four hotels in Estonia and as we had paid for a Zen room this was the best. It was the same price as two of the other and much better. Room had all touches of four star at home. Computer,flat screen, extra pillows, wifi, clean and nicely decorated. Spa bath was lovely after long day. Location a bit off the beaten track but taxi is 5 euro to old town as raining. Breakfast fine never ate there but has restaurant and Brazilian bar with entertainment. Also car parked out back for 7 euros. Would stay again.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 25 September 2011

The hotel, as advertised is just a short walk to the edge of the old town. It is very close (7 mins walk) to a large shopping centre and supermarket too.
The reception staff were very helpful with all directions and which local transport to use.
The rooms were clean and bathroom large. The mini bar however was very expensive so best left alone. The fridge was useful to put our own drinks in which we bought from the supermarket.
The breakfast was a well stocked buffet style with most everything you would want from fried foods to pastries, breads and porridge. Coffee, Tea and fruit juices also available.
I have already recommended this to friends and would personally quite happily use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Higher floors can get hot in summer so maybe request a lower floor.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends