“Book the zen room!”

Kreutzwald Hotel Tallinn
Ranked #13 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

Really nice hotel, service and breakfast.

About 10 minutes walk to the old town and 5 minutes to a big shopping center.

The spa was nice, but even better to have a jacuzzi in the room. That's the reason - book the zen room.

If you don't have to live in the old town, this is a great hotel!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 November 2013

I chose the Kreutzwald Hotel on a whim after finding what seemed like an excellent deal on Hotels.com.

A taxi from the airport was less than ten Euros, check-in was friendly, my standard room on the third floor was spotlessly clean, comfortable, had a computer with free internet access (Estonians are spectacularly generous with their internet access, it's free and fast everywhere - rest of the world please take note) and a large TV with BBC News and the other usual suspects.

The city centre is a right turn out of the main doors and a simple ten minute walk. At no point did I find Kreutzwald's location an issue and didn't take a taxi during my four days there.

There are spa facilities that I didn't try but judging by the number of people wandering about in white dressing gowns this is a popular service.

Downstairs is an excellent restaurant which is faultlessly run, welcoming, with a high standard of cuisine. As a vegetarian there was no problem finding a choice of excellently prepared dishes - the mustard lentils tasting far better than it sounds. It is also good value for a hotel restaurant.

Good cooking aside, the restaurant's main asset is its staff. Everyone is convivial - and polite, unobtrusive and prompt service with a genuine smile is the standard. Although I obviously explored different restaurants around Tallinn during my stay, I found I would make a point of popping by of an evening if only for a glass of wine and a chat.

In particular, supervisor Raili and waitress Triinu deserve a special mention for their hospitality, humour and professionalism. Decor, food, service, value - this restaurant cannot be recommended more highly.

Checking-out, I found a minor fault when the receptionist claimed I had had beers, a Pepsi, and some water from my mini-bar, which I hadn't. He showed me the record made by the chambermaid. But I'm not deducting a point here, because when I explained that it must be a mistake, he gladly returned my 50 Euro deposit without hesitation. The customer was considered right, and I left feeling even more impressed - it was a simple mistake, I was given the benefit of the doubt, and it was instantly rectified.

As a footnote, Tallinn is an outstanding city and if you're considering visiting then you won't be disappointed. I plan to return soon, again for leisure, and the Kreutzwald will certainly be my base again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Stanley M
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I spent a very nice weekend with my two friends in this hotel and we felt very spoiled. The hotel is little bit outside of the city center but within a walking distance. I have been in most of the spa-hotels in the Tallinn center and by far this was the nicest one. We stayed in a spacious zen-room which was wonderful! We had a jacuzzi in our bathroom!!! I bet the zen suite is even better! The breakfast was great and we had a dinner at the hotel restaurant once, that was truly delicious! We all had treatments at the spa (different types of massages) and those were top quality massages! The biggest difference between this hotel and the othet spa type hotels of Tallinn is that this was quiet and elegant. No drunk people or noisy children. Only minus is that there is no swimming pool, which I personally value a lot. I will definitely go back to Kreutzwald hotel! btw, the staff is very friendly and helpful!

Room Tip: The standard rooms are ok, but small. The zen room was big and beautiful and had a jacuzzi in the ba...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

One of the best I stayed at, close to all site seeing places. Good food served there even coping with my needs . Full info given on your trips out by staff on site. You can get the bus from the airport that if you tel the driver were you staying drops you within a 200 yards stroll to hotel

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 16 October 2013

My single room smelt very strongly of sewage, I was told it was because it was at the end of a corridor and that it had been raining! Their solution was to put on the air condioning !! The fridge was locked, as I was part of a tour, and the safety deposit box faulty! Breakfast was a scrum, the breakfast bar is in a confined area, my orange juice, bread roll and coffee were cleared away while I went to get the rest of my breakfast, I then had to wait for a table!

Room Tip: No comment
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank TriPalonG107
Reviewed 9 October 2013

It might be we were lucky and upgraded but had a great stay in the hotel. It is not central but finding way into town is not difficult slightly uphill past library and church and you are practically at the top of town in 10 minutes. It is on a main road and you wont get a scenic view. The room provided had a flat screen tv, computer, Jacuzzi, coffee maker and got a good night sleep. The only slight minor points might be access into hotel as I seem to remember steps, so might have to check if not that mobile and breakfast is a bit hectic if there is a group in. Good selection but can be a queue for drinks.Neither was a problem for me. Found staff were friendly

Room Tip: try to get upgraded or pick one of better rooms fir a great stay.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I was taken here for my birthday as a surprise from my boyfriend! We were in the zen room we were so pleased the bath this was amazing!! We loved the mood lights perfect to help you relax and feel refreshed! Champagne was provided on arrival in the room as a birthday treat I was extremely impressed by the staff service with this! Rooms were always clean and to an excellent standard. Staff were always helpful and friendly and answered any questions when needed. The location was fab around 10-15 minutes walk to old town which was our favourite place to visit so beautiful! The hotel breakfast was the best by far of any hotel we have ever stayed in great choice and variety. Only negative thing would be to be careful of some taxi men as they try to rip you off other than that they are not bad prices if you don't fancy walking one evening, around 5 euros at most! Some lovely places to eat and drink would be pepper sack, Chicago, the hotels restaurant (amazing cheesecake!) clay hills, reval cafe and African kitchen! Overall a fantastic stay would definitely come again!

• Stayed: October 2013