“Beautiful new rooms but Service is lacking”

Radisson Blu Hotel Olumpia
Ranked #15 of 82 Hotels in Tallinn
Munich, Germany
“Beautiful new rooms but Service is lacking”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

I stayed at the Radisson Blu Olümpia in February for a business meeting. I knew the hotel from older times and I am possitively impressed of what has been done with the rooms, The business class rooms are just great, zhe bathrooms are amazingly spacious AND it is clean. The first impression enterin the hotel i still steril and outdated but I wouls hope that this changes in time.
Ahuge isue is the Service. Eating at Restaurant Senseo is nothing special. One is better off tsking the buffet rather than a la carte. The servica attendants are not attentive and stand most of the time around. The lobby bar service attendant didn't even bother to come to the table where I sat down with my business partner asking for drinks. I went and felt that I disturbed her conversation with her colleague asking for service.
That just didn't feel right. I would stay at the hotel again because of he new rooms but the other hotel in front of Olümpia is still and always a step ahead. Especially when it comes to service delivery.
The hotel has generally great potential but it needs more than a rooms refurbishment to wash out the old times and structures.

Room Tip: Get a refurbished business class room on a higher floor. These are amazing...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
MeinradGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Olumpia, responded to this review, 4 March 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with the Radisson Blu Olümpia during your stay in Tallinn. I am sorry that you did not like the service provided. I will review your comments with my team and do our utmost to meet all our guests expectations. I hope you will visit us soon again and have a better experience.

Meinrad Schibler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Oslo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013

Stayed 4 nights in superior room. On 17 th floor. View towards Old town.
+ : Good 4 star standard. Well equipped fitness room. Very nice views. Good storage place. Comfortable temperature in room all the time. A lot of international TV channels. Polite, helpful and professional staff. Especially at check-in desk. Central location. Two large shopping malls nearby in walking distance ( Solaris 5 min, Stockmann , 2 min ). A third even larger shopping mall also nearby ( Viru shopping mall and hotel with KGB museum, 10 min). Well equipped minibar (although didnt use it) ;) . Good breakfast, with many hot alternatives. Eat from 6.30 - 10.30 (sun 7-11). Affordable cafe on ground floor. Nearly always a taxi standing outside the hotel. Easy hotel to find and easy to and from airport. Takes just 10-15 min by taxi. (6-7 euros). Very good cleaning and bedding every day.

- : The swimming pool was closed for a week for upgrading. Small portions of food at the restaurant. The beef hams were not tasty. The superior rooms are narrow. The fridge jammed twice, seemed to be normal. The bathroom glass wall is see through. Embarrassing for most people. No TV channels with English series or movies, only news. A bit pricy rooms. Have to walk to Old town. 12 Euros for a mediocre movie in room TV.

Tips: Cinema is only 5 euros per person. Good selection of movies in English. Solaris has excellent restaurants for a low price. Take Tallink ferry for a day cruise to Helsinki. D-terminal for Tallink ferry is only a short taxi ride (5 euros) away. Ask for Old town view, not sea view. Visit the guided tour of the KGB museum at top of nearby Viru Hotel. They take VISA, master and debet cards EVERYWHERE. And free wifi at most cafes, malls and restaurants. Try inexpensie real Thai massage near the Viru hotel and mall (44-50 euros).

Room Tip: Ask for Old town view. Not sea view. As high up as possible. Standard rooms are placed on lower floo...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us during your stay in Tallinn. I am very glad you did like your stay in Tallinn. As to the few shortcomings I will follow them up with my team and do our best to improve our product and services where needed. We are all looking forward to seeing you again here at the Radisson Blu Olümpia, Tallinn.

Steinenbronn, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 7 days in January for a work conference and was quite pleased with my stay. The staff is very kind and extremely helpful and responsive. Food is delicious in their restaurant and quite affordable for room service and in the cafe. Bar staff is attentive and the lobby bar was a nice place to relax. My room was spacious and clean every day and affordable. Walk into Old Town was only ten minutes and there are many stores and shops nearby for cheaper water, snacks and liquor. I'd reccommend this hotel to anyone staying in town!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room for the most space and a nice view.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing the Radisson Blu Olümpia for your stay in Tallinn. I am very glad you liked our hotel and will share your comments with my team. We all hope to welcome you back very soon.

Vienna, Austria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

Over the last years, I have stayed at the Radisson Blu Olümpia several times for business reasons. It is an ok business hotel, but my impression is that it has seen better times. Last time the room was not really incredibly clean, with some hair on the bed sheets (sorry, but I am quite picky).
Personnel is friendly, even though check-in and check-out takes some time, even if you arrive late at night and wish nothing more than finally dropping into the bed in your pre-reserved room.

Room Tip: They have something like an executive or priority floor. Seems to be better and does not cost much m...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
MeinradGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Olumpia, responded to this review, 21 February 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for chosing the Radisson Blu Olümpia for your stay in Tallinn. I am sorry that you have experienced some shortcomings during your stay. Me and my team will address each of your points and implement the necessery improvments at once. We hope to welcome you back very soon.

Woking, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

I stayed here for a business trip and from the moment I stepped inside the foyer after a long flight from London Heathrow, everything about the stressful journey I had leading up to that point had been forgotten. The hotel had a very warm and contemporary decor and my hotel room was crisp, clean and very warm as it was snowing in Tallin.

The bar and restaurant had a plenty of seating arrangements so it wasn't too hard to find a quiet spot if you wanted to eat or drink by yourself.

The staff are extremely friendly and approachable, and the view I had from the 16th floor was spectacular.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
MeinradGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Olumpia, responded to this review, 12 February 2013
Dear guest

Thank you for chosing the Radisson Blu Olümpia for your stay in Tallinn. I am very happy you liked your stay and will forward your kind comments to my team. We all hope that you will chose us again for your next stay in Tallinn

Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2013

Arrival: I felt that I was warmly welcomed and respected. She told me all the essential things.

My room had a nice view from the window! It was like a panorama view. The room was very clean and everything was working well. The cleaner is doing a great job! The internet connection was fast and worked well. The bed was good. The floor was clean and the wooden floor was excellent choice. Personally i like that there was a radiator in rooms!

The breakfast was awesome! In addition the restaurant itself, very cozy and beautifully decorated. The coffee was good and plenty. The male waiter was friendly and served well and quickly!

The restaurants in this hotel were convenient and in my opinion, not expensive, a reasonable prize. They were open late, and you could really find what you need. My young female waiter in Senso Restaurant was very friendly and polite and made you feel important. She really has a beautiful heart and fits in that place. In addition i liked the Cafe Boulevard downstairs, very cozy and nice atmosphere.

I could go to sauna until 23. It was a real Finnish sauna, a good one. Well it's small but we were only three in there, so we had space enough! Sauna was clean and it was working properly. I didn't have a swimsuit so I didn't go to swim: A good reason to be back again.
The only thing what I was a missing a bathrobe and slippers in my room!

Above all, I felt comfortable as a solo traveler in this hotel. I would highly reckon this hotel in Tallinn, I have been in the other hotel as well. The staff have a great attitude towards their work and people! I liked the atmosphere. In addition, everything was clean, and no broken worn out furniture - very tidy and stylish.

Check out was fast, and friendly.

The hotel located quite close from the centre. Very close to Stockmann. It's very easy to walk to the viru centre and take some fresh air.

I met nice customers. People were not in drunk.

I am hoping to be back soon.

Room Tip: Go for the superior or business room. Such a nice view and sauna available etc for entire day of yo...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for staying at the Radisson Blu Olümpia, Tallinn. I am very happy that you did like your stay and thank you very much for posting a comment on Tripadvisor. We are very keen to get our guests feedback as it motivates us to keep up the good work or even get better. I will share your comments with my team with pleasure.

Sywell England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2013

Having arrived alone on the 30th January 2013 I was immediately made very welcome and feel very comfortable in this first class hotel.the staff are exceptionally helpful and of course speak perfect English. The location to the Old Town is very good.

Room Tip: Just check in
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Sywellglobetrotters
MeinradGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Olumpia, responded to this review, 1 February 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your kind comments and your posting on Tripadvisor. I am very glad that you did like your stay at the Radisson Blu Olümpia, Tallinn and will forward your comments to my team with pleasure. We all hope you will chose us again when staying in Tallinn next time.