“Value for money”
Review of Hotel St. Barbara

Hotel St. Barbara
Ranked #22 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Reviewed 9 June 2014

You cannot expect given the roomprice ,that you are getting a 5 star serviced hotel or room. Given this the rooms are ok. Be aware there is no airco in the room. The location is certainly a plus. You cross a street and you are in the center. The hotel has a private parking. Staff is very friendly. I would say value for money.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We arrived quite late about 10 pm and got a room that smelled awfull. The smell game from the toilet. We went immediately to the reception and told about the smell. They said that the hotel was fully booked (witch I don´t believe) and they cannot change the room. I asked if they can fix the problem and the receptionist told that there was not anyone to do it. Then i asked if she can spray something in the toiled and she did it. I found out that the problem was the sewer in the toilet floor and poured some water there and the smell vanished. I am sure that this was the first time with this kind of problem and don´t understand why the receptionist didn´t do this.
The breakfast was not good, something kind old soviet times. I just took coffee and a toast.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 April 2014

After our first night in Tallinn myself and my friend went down to breakfast too late. Everything had been cleared away but a lovely polite young man brought us a special breakfast with everything we wanted plus hot tea and fresh fruit. We were very touched and impressed by his kindness and this level of service. It's a great place to stay, very central, clean and friendly.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank venuspeter
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Very nice hotel, close to the old town centre. Just a short walk through the underpass and you are in town centre. We found everything accessable on foot including the new town and the port, a nice gentle walk to work off breakfast! The room was clean, modern and warm even without the radiator on (in February!). We couldn't book to eat downstairs in the restaurant which was a little dissapointing even though when we did pop in for a drink it was obviously not full. The breakfast was plentiful and replenished regularly, they even had boiled eggs which were labelled to show the hardness/softness. It would have been nice to have had a kettle for coffee in the room, but that's my only gripe. The hotel receptionist booked a taxi for our return trip to the airport which arrived on time and was slightly cheeper than the taxi to the hotel from the airport! For interest the taxi fare was approx €7 each way, so not worth worrying about the buses or trams. I would certainly recommend this hotel for a stay in Tallinn.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Tracy C
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Overall, this hotel was *wonderful*. The location was perfect, the staff were very helpful, and the rooms were completely spotless. It was beautiful; it also felt very comfortable and also very safe, so that I never felt out of place or concerned for myself. I would recommend the hotel itself to any visitor, simply as it was so splendid. You simply can't ask for a better hotel. It seemed to attract families, couples, and businessmen alike, and I can see why it would have such a broad appeal. Very much recommend it!

My only concern - and general *fury* - regards the hotel restaurant, which I have a few choice words to say about, but I'll come to that later. I *would* have given the hotel five stars, but the restaurant knocks an entire star off.

Pros:

Great Location - you're pretty much *central* to everything. You're just a three minute walk away from Independence Square and a five minute walk from Toompea Hill, with a convenience store and American restaurant on the underpass a minute-and-a-half away. You can walk anywhere in the Old Town easily.

Friendly Staff - the staff were *lovely*. True, I would have preferred a little more small-talk and smiles, but the Estonian way isn't the British or American way, and differences in customer service are to be expected. They knew everything about the hotel and area, even when my transfer would arrive (which even I didn't know), and had a vast knowledge about the history and local area. They gave me a map and drew directions and the hotel location for me, without my needing to ask, and even gave me information on the Tallinn Card. They simply couldn't do enough and I very much appreciate them for that :)

Cleanliness - it was *spotless*. There wasn't a single speck of dust or dirt, and everything was renovated and looked sparkling new. The furniture was new and not chipped or stained. The maids seemed to come every day, too The glass - even in the bathroom - seemed to sparkle. Lovely.

General Building - *big* rooms compared to many hotels I've been too, especially as a single traveller in a city. My room fitted two single beds, an en suite, and a massive double-wardrobe with a TV set and *still* had room for me to move about easily. There was also an on-site spa and meeting rooms, so if you fancy a massage (for a *very good* price, I'll add) then you have one right on your door! The outside looks pretty cool too, very traditional and interesting style :)

Breakfast - aside from some *bizarre* option, like boiled potatoes with herbs (really?), it was *amazing* and had a *huge* selection. Hot food includes: aforementioned potatoes, porridge, beans, scrambled eggs, and rice (this is also *bizarre* for breakfast, I'll add). There are hard and soft-boiled eggs. Tomatoes, fruit-salad, breads, and a selection of juices and hot drinks. The quality was okay . . . some of it tasted a bit bland, especially the potatoes, and a hard-boiled egg had a black-lining inside one morning . . . but can't fault the selection!

Cons:

Insects - whenever I showered I would find some strange insects appearing. They were silvery and thin, like a cross between a weevil and a woodlouse, but they were quick and there were a few of them. The big ones would be on the bathroom tile and some small ones on the carpet outside. I think they were drawn to the humidity from the drain. Nowhere near an "infestation", but enough to gross me out and make me cut back on showering.

TV - I *love* foreign shows, but having the English track with a bad Russian audio over the top *and* Estonian subtitles underneath? Atrocious. I was stuck watching CNN almost all week.

No Disabled Access - there are stairs to get to the lobby and down to the restaurant, so even though they *do* have an elevator you have to use the *stairs* to get to it.

Cons - pillows were very thick and far too many. I had to store three on the bed next to me, but they were still too thick to be comfortable even as just one alone.

*Biggest Con* - The Restaurant -_-

Seriously, I cannot express how *disgusted* I am with the service and safety! I DO NOT RECOMMEND THE RESTAURANT AT ALL! Let me begin with a story: I have a *very* severe allergy to wheat and to gluten, which I *told* my waitress about, and so I specified when ordering "I want x, but without the sauce", 'no sauce? Okay', "no sauce, right? I'm allergic. No wheat. Nothing with flour. No sauce, this has flour", 'sure, no sauce' . . . my food came out *coated* in sauce! I told her "this isn't what I ordered, it has sauce", her response was: 'that isn't sauce'.

Seriously? SERIOUSLY? Since when is 'barbeque sauce' not a sauce? I told her that. She said "no, it's barbeque" . . . whatever, fine. I peeled off the top layer and and tried to get untouched portions: I spent the night *sick*. The next day I tried again: "I want y, but no sauce. No sauce on the plate. No sauce at all", and I got 'fine, sure' . . . came out *with sauce*. I tried my best to eat around, but the meat must have been marinated or touched some, because I spent TWO DAYS *confined* to my room *very* sick! Luckily I had brought a lot of wheat-free biscuits to keep me from starving and out of hospital as I waited it out.

DO NOT IGNORE CUSTOMERS' ALLERGIC REQUIREMENTS.

What if I had an allergy to nuts? What if my allergy to gluten was the sort that induces anaphylatic shock? I dread to imagine the fact that someone could DIE, because a waitress WILL NOT listen to a customer! This is disgusting, and were I back in the UK I would have immediately reported this to the authorities, because people's lives are at risk. Thanks to the *idiocy* of the waitress, I had two days of my holiday ruined. This is ridiculous.

Not to mention: VERY RUDE waiting staff; especially the older waitress that was very abrupt, barely gave me time to look at the menu before accosting me for an order, and generally ignore me otherwise and then vanished when it was time to pay. She seemed to not want to be there and seemed to find my presence a nuisance, even before I had walked into the door or spoken a word. The *contempt* from her was appalling!

No. I can't express how FURIOUS I am, because people could *die*! Allergies are NOT A JOKE! If for whatever reason you can't substitute an order, or *don't know* what an ingredient is or if it's safe to eat, then TELL your customer instead! Also don't darned well LIE TO MY FACE and point at sauce and insist it's not sauce! Seriously? I'm allergic not blind!

I would have given five-stars to the hotel, but the restaurant was disgusting service.

The restaurant takes a whole star off my rating. Horrid.

Room Tip: Rooms on front have a lot of light at night; room thus lit up and difficult to sleep
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank Robin S
Reviewed 3 February 2014

The location is very good, just about 200 m from old town. I don't understand what are people trying to get from 3* hotel for? St. Barbara has everything you need, if you are not staying all day in hotel. Great staff, clean rooms, good location, breakfast with a varied selection of hot and cold options. Next time i go to Tallinn, i will stay at St. Barbara!!

Room Tip: We ordered standart twinn room, and got beatiful twinn room with light bathroom :)
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank DovilePaula
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Located just a short walk into the Old Town. Good value for money. Rooms pleasantly furnished - bathrooms adequate - although quite dated could do with being retiled and upgraded. Buffet service breakfast with a varied selection of hot and cold options.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple