Stroomi
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
Rocca al Mare(Tallinn)
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 August 2011

The hotel is located in the district built in 50-es of the last century, as well as the hotel's building. Thereby, living there may be interesting for those who are interested in Soviet architecture. However, the surroundings are absolutely dull. One of the city beaches is a couple hundred metres away.
As to the hotel facilities, they are regular for a normal two star accommodation.
But the walls between rooms are too thin, so you can hear your neighbours talking. Hearing what happens in the corridor is also easy.
Floors and beds are squeaky. I have no other claims.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank dr17ee
Reviewed 7 August 2011

As a budget hotel, this hotel was ok for lots of reasons: contrary to other reviews further down, the bed sheets were clean and the matresses were comfy (v important to me!). Bed sheets, however, were never changed nor beds made or toliets cleaned in all the three nights we stayed there, though at leat the bin was emptied - needless to say, we did not leave a tip! No sign of machetes when we stayed there ! - the hotel was quiet. The breakfast was poor though - but then again very Eastern European. In fact, the whole ambience of the place was that of a hotel that has not moved from when Estonia was part of the former Soviet Union. Although I would not recommend this hotel for a romantic/couples break AT ALL, it was an interesting place to stay in that it was located outside the touristy areas and you got the chance to see the a suburb of Tallinn. It is located in what would appear to be the Russian quarter of city. What irks me is that we stupidly booked it through a company called Jetline which took a huge cut - if we had booked it via the hotel's website, we would have paid the true price for what we got and we would have been quite happy with that.

Tallinn is a fantastic city to visit - don't stay too long in the touristy old town - there is too much to see outside of it. The transportation is brilliant - contrary to a review further down, you can get a three day tourist ticket at a shop in the airport for 6 euros that lets you travel all over the city by bus, tram or trolleybus. We would definitely go again!

Room Tip: Book the hotel room via its website and not through a broker
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank knittingkaren
Reviewed 25 June 2011

I have stayed at the Stroomi twice;once in 2009 and again this year. The first time
that I stayed there was better than the second time because the hotel bar and two
casino/bars in the immediate vicinity of the hotel were open,whereas the second
time,they were all closed.

The Stroomi is situated about five kilometres from the centre of Tallinn,in the middle of
a housing estate and some 250 metres from the beach.It is accessed from Tallinn
centre by bus 40 (take the bus to the last stop-Randla.) The fare is 64 eurocents and
buses run from around 0500 to 2330..

Although there is not much to see or do in the district in which the Stroomi lies,the
hotel is quiet and safe. The rooms are clean,the beds are confortable and the
breakfast is good. The nearby beach is pleasant and unspoilt.The nearest
supermarket is about 750 metres away;on leaving the hotel,turn left onto Randla,
left again onto Madala,cross Sole and follow Sitsi until you reach the tram stop.
The supermarket is across the street.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel
2  Thank allyco
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Having made the mistake of leaving it up to my clueless brother to book the hotel for a lads weekend away, we ended up staying at the Stroomi.

A good taxi ride from the centre, the location is not ideal; when asking what kind of meat the restaurant had served us we were told it was 'meat', and to top it off we came home one night to find a guy with a machete in his head and police everywhere. When we asked the receptionist what had happened, he just shrugged his shoulders and said 'Its Hotel Stroomi !'.

On the plus side if you're a red, they seemed to have Man Utd tv bizarrely !

Avoid !

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank jamesr_richards
Reviewed 27 August 2010

I was trying to stay in Estonia 'on the cheap' so the price of Stroomi Hotel leapt out at me. I read all the reviews beforehand so thought I knew what I was letting myself in for, but the reality was different. The room was dirty, and I mean really dirty and squalid. The underlying mattress was spattered with something brown which I assumed was blood. The sun shone direct through the window baking the dusty air making it impossible to sleep under the covers. I woke up several times with the feeling some insect was crawling over me. The shower head holder was broken so one had to be a dwarf to get in the shower properly.
Contrary to what I read in other reviews, wifi was not available in the room (5th floor - perhaps too far from wireless router?). Wifi was available in the lobby but exposed the fact I owned a laptop to the (dodgy) outside world. Speaking of the outside world, Stroomi is in a disaster zone far far away from Tallinn centre and it cost more to travel to and from town each day. It would be wiser to spend a little extra and stay in town.

I've stayed in some dives throughout southeast asia and survived with no problems, but Stroomi is on another scale entirely and I could only stay here one night before checking out as early as I could.

The bottom line is there's just no point staying here and even if you're on a budget, look elsewhere. Do not stay here.

Signed, PiggySlippers