“Excellent hotel - overall!”

Baltic Hotel Vana Wiru
Ranked #45 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Reviewed 9 February 2013

We enjoyed our stay in that hotel - although only for 1 night. Why 1 night? We spent time in Helsinki and went on the Tallink ferry to Estonia (Tallinn) for overnight stay and then went back. After our stay experience, we would like to come back - definitely to that same hotel - for everything - the list is endless! Excellent breakfast, very friendly reception services, bedroom with en suite so superb as well as just inside the old town. The square is about less than 5 mins away and the city wall walk is just a stone away! Strongly recommended!

Room Tip: Wonderful art and craft markets/shops in narrow streets, out of hotel via main entrance (NOT via the...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 January 2013

The service was good, the breakfast was very good with a good choice of food.
This hotel has a direct access to a pub where it's possible to eat. It's located directly in the old town and it has its own parking place.
The only problem has been the privacy in the room. We could listen all the noises from the other rooms on both sides. If people were watching TV, talking or even snoring or farting we could listen everything. And we supposed they could listen us too.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DavKir01
Reviewed 17 January 2013

I spent two nights there with my wife in August 2012.
Baltic Hotel Vana Wiru is a very nice hotel, with a great advatage with respect to others: it offers a great quality/price ratio for an hotel right into Tallinn old town!

Pros:
- Position --> unbelievable
- Quality/price, especially if you buy an offer
- Breakfast is very good with great variety of food
- Rooms are tidy and clean and very large
- Staff: really helpful

Cons:
- Yes, everything has at least a "Cons"... In this case, due to the fact that it lies inside the old town, the hotel noisy at night (or at least my room was).

I suggest this hotel to everyone who's willing to spend a quick vacation in Tallinn. I guess it might be good also for business purposes even if there might be a better choice for that... It always depends on budget...

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2013

The service here is very good from mainly Russian speaking staff, who mainly also speak Estonian and English. The public areas of the hotel are very spacious but the decor is extremely dated. The rooms are clean and functional but ours was extremely small and lacked even a wardrobe! Breakfast was the usual Estonian affair where all the meat tastes of hot dogs, but I have had much worse.

Service was very good. I asked if there was a computer I could use and the receptionist gave me a laptop! Very helpful.

The hotel has its own pub which is extremely expensive, lacks any decent beers and whose toilets smell like dry earth ones.

We paid a very low rate so were not too disappointed, it was boxing day night and town was quiet. Having said that you are far better off booking in at Economy Hotell and drinking at Drink Bar & Grill. (See my reviews)

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 December 2012

My girlfriend bought a long weekend for the two of us in Tallinn and this was the hotel we stayed at. The hotel is located in the old city and has a very good location when it comes to shops and dining facilities. (Beware of taxi drivers taking a longer route than necessery; airport->hotel).
The hotel is clean and the breakfast is of the continental kind, simple and tasty. There is also a bar connected to the hotel. We had no trouble with noise from the bar.
The in-house massage is worth a try! It's cheap, compared to other massage-parlors in the town, and the sauna\jacuzzi is a nice offer for couples wanting a more private atmosphere.
We did not try the in-house restaurant due to a wider offer of restaurants just outside the hotel in the old town. The staff was very helpful, and this hotel is worth a visit!

Room Tip: Go for the room facing the back\parking lot!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2012

This is a 4* hotel and I saw a review complaining that you had to get your own cutlery at breakfast. I think its all about expectations and what 4* is like in your home country, so I would say expect a 3*+ to avoid disappointment.

For me the important things are location, cleanliness, comfort, service and value for money. On that basis I was happy with my choice.

Location - couldn't ask for better. You can get the bus from the airport (90K or 2) for a few € and be dropped off within 5 minutes walk from the hotel. Both drop off near the Viru Keskus shopping centre - from the front of the shopping centre cross the main road towards Viru Gates, walk through the gates and the Viru pub (linked to the hotel) is just up the road on your right - you can get to the reception by walking through the pub (there is a main entrance to the hotel from an earlier side street if the pub is closed).
http://www.tallinn-airport.ee/eng/transport/publictransport gives you the times and drop off points. Getting back to the airport don't take the number 90k from the same place or you will sit on the bus for ages - take the number 2 or take 90k from Estonian academy of arts (stop 15). Bus will take about 15 minutes from there. The 90k is now €3 from 1st December 2012.

As well as being easy to locate on arrival, the hotel is very close to the Town Hall main square and anything else you want to see in the old town - its quite a small area so easy walking distance

Rooms - I had a single room so quite small as expected but spacious enough with hanging space for clothes. There was no safe in my room, so I assume that was with reception. There was also no tea/coffee making facilities in my room which was disappointing - maybe they are in the more expensive rooms. Shower was powerful and hot, rooms were clean and comfortable with adjustable radiator. Curtains didn't block out the street lighting from outside but I had an eye mask anyway. The "free toiletries" is a dispenser of hair/body wash in the shower and liquid hand soap by the sink - just in case you were wondering if you needed to take your own!

Service - staff were friendly and one kindly tried to help when I realised I forgot my adaptor. At 10:30pm he was searching their box of left behind adapters for me. They didn't have what I needed but he told me where I could buy one. (At time of writing they do not have adapters for UK plugs, but if you do forget yours you can buy one at the Euronics store in the Viru Keskus mall across the main road!)

Breakfast - plenty to choose from the self service buffet, even if it may not be what you are used to at home! Cooked breakfast options included meatballs, egg, bacon, beans, roast potatoes and mixed vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli etc!). There are pastries, bread, fruit, cereal, juice and tea & coffee

The Pub - nice pub and you can still access the free wifi in there. You get a 20% and a 10% food and drink discount voucher if staying at the hotel. I had the Solyanka soup which I recommend - very tasty - unless you are particular about what meat you eat or don't eat cheese as I think it had a variety of both in there! It cost me about €6.50 for the soup and a coke with my 20% discount, so quite pricey though

All in all a good stay - its not luxury but if you are having a short stay and want somewhere nice to sleep in an ideal location then I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank LoveTravelMustTravel
Reviewed 2 December 2012

If you are looking for a budget hotel for a short stay in Tallinn, this might be a good choice. The location is excellent and rooms are clean and quiet. The breakfast offers a wide selection of options, but somehow it feels a little bit poor - even though you can find everything you need to start your day. The rooms towards the front of the hotel are probably more quiet than those towards Viru street.

The staff is very friendly. The hotel has an "own" taxi which is not the cheapest in the city, because it is a big van, but it can be reached very fast if needed. The less expensive alternative you can find from the beginning of Viru street. But be careful - the Tallink (yellow) or Takso (white) taxis are reasonably priced, the rest will cheat you more or less

This is probably not the best choice for business purposes. This hotel can be recommended for tourists that stay a night or two and who want to have a budget accommodation.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business