“Pathetic”
Review of Taanilinna Hotell

Taanilinna Hotell
Ranked #34 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Failed to honour a confirmed booking for 2-nights made through booking.com. The hotel did not contact us in advance but when we turned up at 2pm (earliest check-in time) we were told no room was available due to 'over-booking', and that they had booked us in to another hotel instead. Upon expressing our displeasure at this unacceptable practice, and after much discussion, a room eventually became available as if by magic. However this room was truly awful. Just passable if in a very cheap hostel but abysmal at the price they were going to charge. We declined the offer of this room, which I can only assume is not a room they would normally give to guests despite the receptionist saying this was a superior room. We noticed when we left that other guests were checking in, so not sure why no room was available for us but was for them. It is not acceptable that they fail to honour a confirmed booking guaranteed by a credit card. Given the positive reviews by others I cannot believe the room they showed us is typical but we will never no.

Room Tip: Not the large dark bare room on the ground floor right next to the car park.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PeteD_London
TallinnHotels, General Manager at Taanilinna Hotell, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

Dear Pete,
Thank you for your honest feedback!
I am really sorry to hear that we have failed to fulfill your expectations on your visit to Tallinn. I can assure that this event will be in our thoughts for a long time as well. This unfortunate misunderstanding which left one of our guests without a room is of course a dismal issue. But I hope you understand looking back now that our receptionist tried her best to make sure you will be in the best available alternative room in another hotel nearby.
I want to thank you for pointing this issue out so concretely. We have thought this problem through to prevent such things in the future and I am sure that we can offer a better service thanks to you from now on.
I sincerely hope that this did not ruin your vacation to Tallinn and that you enjoyed your stay in Estonia overall.

With sincerest apologies,
Ain Käpp,
Managing director of Taanilinna Hotell

Reviewed 15 July 2012

I traveled around Estonia for 3 weeks this summer. This was worst hotel I stayed in. It was hot and they have no air or fans to offer you. Other hotels offered fans if they didn't have air conditioning. I kept asking them if they had a fan and they said no. I kept my windows open, but it was loud at night. They also don't have black out curtains so the sun and heat will wake you up at 3:00 am. I got smart after my third miserable day of no sleep and went to another hotel. This hotel has great location, but that is it. The bathroom toilet stunk like sewage, the food offered for breakfast was horrible. One of the days I was in my room and someone entered while I was getting out of bathroom. I think it was staff. Not sure why they came in. Room was already done by housekeeping. Maybe they came in because I had my card in slot for using electricity and they take them out when people aren't; in rooms? It was around 4:00 pm and I was half naked. When I first got there I thought of buying a portable fan for my room, but didn't since I didn't want to waste my money on something for a hotel. I should have left after first night and I would have been much happier. There are many hotels in Tallinn. Find yourself anther place.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank GreatVaca1212
TallinnHotels, General Manager at Taanilinna Hotell, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2012

Hello,
First of all I would like to thank you for your honest opinions about our hotel. Having said that I hope that you understand this: the issues you have pointed out have been the biggest concern of our hotel management during the last two weeks.
Honestly, the situation of a guest not being satisfied in our hotel is new to us. I assure you that Taanilinna hotel’s staff gives nothing less than 100% of what they can to make sure our guests would feel enjoyment and fullfillment not only in the hotel but in Tallinn overall. This concerns every detail you mentioned aswell. The cleanliness of the room, quality of our breakfast and service as well as guests’ sleeping time are the top priorities of Taanilinna hotel. This is why I am as surprised as I am sorry that we could not match your expectations.
Please, accept my sincerest apologies! Nothing to us is more regretful than a dissapointed visitor. I hope this did not ruin your vacation in Tallinn.
All the best in the future!
Kind regards,
Ain Käpp

Reviewed 13 July 2012

Nice botique-style hotell with great location, just a few steps from the old town square. The neigborhoud and view from the rooms is not very special, but the street is very quiet. Inside the hotel is warm and cosy, and the staff friendly. Rooms are new and clean, with wooden floors and new bathrooms. We had two economy twn rooms, they were very small, not much space for baggage. Breakfast was ok, compared to the standard in Eastern Europe. No AC, rooms can be a little bit warm in July. Great value for the money, and perfect for a short stay in Tallin

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 July 2012

We stayed here for one night, and were happy with the room and service. Great location, very close to a bike rental place where one can rent bikes inexpensively to tour around the town and beyond. The room is fairly large, and breakfast was fine. Good wifi.

Reviewed 28 June 2012

I stayed in Taanilinna Hotel in the month of June 2012 for 3 nights. I had a good experience during my stay. They have got very friendly staff. Rooms are neat and clean. I was little disappointed with same breakfast every day. But with the price range, it can be accepted.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank PR K
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Dear Guest, we sincerely appreciate for making an effort and writing down a few words about the hotel. It was truly splendid to read that the room was according to your expectations and our personnel left a good impression. It would be a great pleasure for us, if on your next trip to Tallinn we could welcome you again in Taanilinna Hotel.
Have a superb summer!

Reviewed 19 June 2012

A lovely hotel with only a few rooms. The reception staff are knowledgeable and helpful
we have just returned from here after three nights stay.. the DeLuxe rooms are best and worth the little extra.

Breakfast is basic but certainly adequate nothing fancy but fresh and wholesome.

If you want a hotel that feels like Estonia and looks the part come here.

for travellers the location is 100%

Room Tip: Ask for a Deluxe room it is worth it.
1  Thank FREDANDWILMA
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Dear Fred and Wilma, our deepest gratitude for sharing your views on Tripadvisor. Your hearty review brought a big smile on our face and we are extremely happy that our small and cosy hotel was to your liking.
On behalf of our management and staff we wish you a swell summertime and hopefully see you agan in Taanilinna Hotel.

Reviewed 12 June 2012

Stayed 2 nights at this hotel with my husband.
Location was fantastic, right in the old town and next door to a super market.
Breakfast was included, which is quite handy, but don't expect much from it.
Based on the photos I had seen I have to say I was expecting the room to be a bit more cosy. Furniture was really dated and the bed way too soft (however some people do like very soft beds). It was very hot in the room and we could not figure out how to switch off the heating, but since I prefer hot to cold it wasn't that bad.
Staff is very helpful with directions and everything else you need. There is free wifi and lots of tv channels.

1  Thank Graz-London
TallinnHotels, Hotel Manager at Taanilinna Hotell, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2012

Dear Nina, we really appreciate for writing down your opinions about the hotel. We were glad to learn that you were extremely satisfied with our location, which indeed is one our great benefit and plus. It was unfortunate to find out that you were displeased with our breakfast. Our hotel has sticked with the continental breakfast option, which means that breakfast does not include hot food. If You prefer full breakfast, then we have a deal with a Bern hotel, which is about 100m from our hotel. For extra 5 eur you can have full breakfast there. Regrettably we did not know about the heat situation in your room. Hotel reception is available 24/7 and they can help you with these kind of things. In our hotel, it is possible to regulate the heat by turning the nob that is attached to the radiator. Despite these little discomforts we sincerely hope you are willing to stay again in our little cosy hotel and enjoy the pleasures that our great city Tallinn could offer. Welcome back!!