“Wish I had more positive to say”
Review of Taanilinna Hotell

Taanilinna Hotell
Ranked #31 of 83 Hotels in Tallinn
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Wish I had more positive to say”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Only speaking for myself, of course, my experience left a lot to be desired. I booked and paid in advance for an upgraded room, and due to a technical issue was switched to a smaller room. No recognition or attempt to accommodate for my expense (original was 1st floor, so at least the smaller was higher up). No problem with a smaller size (except that I paid for it), but the room was terribly hot, without air-conditioning...again, ok...but, a fan would have been appreciated. It was so hot and uncomfortable, and with opened windows the cigarette smoke and after-bar voices were plenty with my room facing the parking lot/entrance. This might be for some, but not for me. I booked and paid for two and went to another hotel for the second night. The Wi-Fi was in and out. The location was great. Some staff was great, others not so much.

Room Tip: The higher the better, or not facing the parking lot/entrance
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
TallinnHotels, Front Office Manager at Taanilinna Hotell, responded to this review, 13 July 2013
Dear Catana_Hamilton,

I am deeply disturbed that you had an unsatisfying stay here at Taanilinna Hotel.

I think that there is no purpose to make any excuses for the inconvenience we put you through.
All I can say is that we are very concerned about this matter and that we would want to make this up to you.

As we did not get your e-mail address when you checked in, please contact me via e-mail so we can find out a proper solution to this question.

Eagarly waiting for your response,
terje.taal@tallinnhotels.ee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I stayed here for a couple nights and quite liked this hotel. The rooms are spacious and clean. My bathroom had heated floors- a nice touch! Wifi was a little weak sometimes and I occasionally lost the signal. Regarding breakfast, it was fine with a fair selection. The espresso machine was broken however and they still had it out for coffee only, no steamed milk and no sign explaining. I feel this hotel was a good value and its proximity to old town is very good. I would recommend staying here. One suggestion: room darkening shades and ability to use the espresso machine.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Dear guest,

Thank you for your thoughts!

We will surely take your notes into account and try to improve even further for your next visit.
Thank you for taking the time to share your ideas!

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 19 June 2013

The hotel is in a quiet ally off a bigger street, nice quiet location. It's about 2 min from the start of the old town. Good spot to stay if you are exporting old town etc.
Hotel was nice and clean but nothing outstanding. Breakfast was ok as it was included in nightly rate.
Free wifi in rooms worked well and easy to connect.
Some staff on front reception were unfriendly and disinterested in helping or providing any extra info which wasn't a good first impression. Some other staff were helpful though.
Overall comment would be don't expect anything great,buts its ok and nice and clean.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
TallinnHotels, Front Office Manager at Taanilinna Hotell, responded to this review, 21 June 2013
Dear Matthew,

Thank you for your comments!

I do value your honesty and constructive notes and will deffinately act on many of them.
I apologize if you felt like the staff was not always attentive enough for you, this is something we are usually very proud of here. Your feedback will be noted and put into a good use!

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Our experience of Taanilinna Hotel was OK. The hotel itself is comfortable and well placed in The Old Town. Our room was clean and well presented and warm. The only draw back was that the curtains don't close fully which can be a little annoying during the White Nights.

The breakfast too is adequate. A selection of breads and jams, a yoghurt, some cold meats and cheese and cereal and some juices.

The staff are mostly rather indifferent with the exception of a couple of the girls who are quite friendly and helpful and one guy who is just quite rude... He doesn't even look at you when you ask him a question.

I wouldn't avoid the hotel but I would be keen to try elsewhere on my next visit.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Louise A
TallinnHotels, Front Office Manager at Taanilinna Hotell, responded to this review, 13 June 2013
Dear Louise,

Thank you for your honesty!

I appreciate your willingness to give a positive point of view to add to your concerns about our services.
These kinds of feedback notes are the ones that will most definately make a difference in a hotels everyday handling of various situations.

I assure you we do our best here to keep our staff happy about what they do and thus help the guests enjoy the visit as well. My apologies if you could not experience our full potential.

I sure hope that we will be given another chance to prove our quality when you decide to take another trip in Tallinn.

Lewes
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Really nice staff, free WiFi, comfortable rooms.

The location is really good, yards from bars and the tourist areas. The room we were in was a functional twin: two beds a TV and a bathroom. WiFi was free and worked well and there was a roof terrace to allow us a place to meet rather than in reception. There was no bar but the breakfast was pleasant enough and featured cornflakes, bread, ham, cheese, yogurts, and drinks.

If I was going to moan, I suppose the rooms were a little warm and the sun seemed to come up at 2am, but overall I had a lovely time.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
TallinnHotels, Front Office Manager at Taanilinna Hotell, responded to this review, 6 June 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback!

I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay here at Taanilinna Hotel and assure you that we are looking forward to have you back here in the future.

Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a 4 night stay at the Taanilinna Hotel. It's ideally situated not far from the Viru Gates - turn right after the gates, and it is about 150 metres up the street in a quiet courtyard. The outside isn't particularly special, but don't be out off as it is a lovely little hotel. The staff are friendly and helpful, it is very quiet (we never heard a sound from any other rooms or people while we were there, and no outside noise at all despite overlooking the car park in the courtyard), our room was a reasonable size with small tv, tea and coffee, fridge, very comfy bed and a nice shower room and was very clean. Although there is no safety deposit box in the room, you can deposit your valuables at reception at no cost. Breakfast was adequate with meats, cheese, cereal, yogurt, boiled eggs, breads, fresh fruit, juices coffee etc...and a toaster. Some nice crusty buns would be an improvement, but that's just our personal choice.

The location is ideal, being only a few minutes walk from Katerinas Passage, the main square, and Fat Margaret Tower is at the top of the same street, in fact everything that the old town has to offer is within easy walking distance. There are countless restaurants and little cafes in the lovely cobbled streets and hidden courtyards, as well as in the main square. The ones in the square are more expensive with probably not as good choice or standard that others offer, but you can just have a drink, and whilst they are also dearer, it is worth doing it a few times during your stay to soak up the atmosphere and people watch, especially as there are sheepskin rugs, fleece blankets and heaters to keep you cosy!

To reach the hotel we got number 2 bus from the airport (1.60 euro each), and as previously reviews instructed, got off at Viru Keskus shopping centre (about 5 stops, we think!) walked a few metres up the street, left at the lights, followed the road towards a small park, and the Viru Gates can be seen to your right over the road, past the flower street stalls.

We thoroughly enjoyed our holiday in Tallinn. The atmosphere is brilliant, and the views from St Olaf's tower are amazing if you can manage to climb the 260 odd steps!! If we ever return we would stay in the same hotel as we feel its location and cost can't be beaten.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank llpasah
Dear guest,

Thank you for this comprehensive overview!

I am absolutely sure that your writing will be extremely helpful for all the future guests of Tallinn.
Your generosity towards our little Taanilinna Hotel's staff, service and rooms will be membered and put into good use in everyday working situations. This is why we hardly ever get stressed around here!

Looking forward to have you here again!
Kingisepp, Russia
Reviewed 11 May 2013

The room is very quiet at night, as in the village, a great sleep. Convenient location, near the tourist center and close to a big store. Recommended for fans of romantic evening stroll through the Old Town. The staff is friendly. Breakfast is very modest.

Room Tip: The room is very quiet at night, as in the village, a great sleep.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
TallinnHotels, Front Office Manager at Taanilinna Hotell, responded to this review, 17 May 2013
Dear Maria,

Thank you for your feedback!

I am glad that you found our accommodation enjoyable.
Surely this will help other tripadvisor users decide when they plan a visit to Tallinn.

Looking forward to host you again here at Taanilinna Hotel.