“A Hostel”
Review of Taanilinna Hotell

Taanilinna Hotell
Ranked #33 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We read such nice reviews of the Taanilinna that we were dismayed when we actually arrived. There was no way we two senior adults could manage to get up to the third floor for our prepaid room......carrying luggage no less. So we settled for a ground floor with a stained glass window of sorts. The room was like a dungeon. There's a difference between old and charming and what we found at the Tannilinna. It was old but it certainly wasn't charming! It was clean however and the free wifi was nice. The lack of airconditioning in the intense July heat was disappointing but we managed with the fan for our one night stay. The location was excellent, right in the middle of the old town, but the breakfast was spartan. Think continental with a minus. The staff was cool and smiles were typically not part of their style. If I had it to do over again I'd keep on moving. We couldn't wait to escape!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
TallinnHotels, Front Office Manager at Taanilinna Hotell, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Dear Rojersey,

Thank you for your opinion!
It is difficult to agree with everything you said because we work hard to have things almost the opposite you described your feelings were.

But nevertheless I feel we can learn from your suggestions and try to improve more and more each day.

Thank you for reminding us that it is never good enough yet! ;)

Kind regards,

Reviewed 25 July 2014

I only stayed here one night, so that may account for the room. The hotel is in the centre of the old town and looks lovely. I only paid slightly less for this hotel than I did for My City Tallinn, which was a 4 star, but was in a completely different league.
The room was horrible! Dingy, dark and depressing and very tired. The window had a metal grille over it and no view. Broken handles on the furniture, a cushion for a pillow, bathroon door lock broken. No safe in the hotel, you have to hand your personal possessions over at reception. No air conditioning, but you get a plastic fan.
Reception lady on the morning of my departure was very pleasant.
If I had to stay in this room any longer than one night, I'd consider moving hotels.
Breakfast is very limited.

Room Tip: Avoid room 12.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank robinsonm008
TallinnHotels, Front Office Manager at Taanilinna Hotell, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Robinsonm008,

Thank you for your opinion!
I am sorry that you did not find Taanilinna Hotell to be what you had expected.
Some of the concerns you had are very good suggestions and we will surely try to improve on what we can but on the other hand we still are not a 4* hotel which might have caused some of the other dissapointments in your case.

Still, I am grateful of your feedback and hope that you found a more suitable place to stay at.

With best wishes,

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Pros:
- location is within walking distance to all the major sites
- bathroom and room is extremely clean

Cons:
- small room
- no air con which means it was hot in July
- attititude of front desk staff
- "Your room is on the third floor and no, there is no elevator which means you have to carry up your luggage (thanks but I didn't ask if there was an elevator, I was ready to bring the luggage up myself)
- "This is the internet code and make sure you type it in this way because otherwise it doesn't work and people complain" (yes, I can see what you were talking about and no, I won't complain)
- when we asked what was recommended to see in the old city, the response was a shrug of the shoulders and disinterest

Enough said....

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear scho31,

Thank you for writing this review!
I am sorry that you felt somewhat uncomfortable when you first arrived to Taanilinna Hotell.

I really want to stress, though, that our staff is nearly never inpolite intentionally. I am very sorry that you felt this way but I do believe that the misunderstandings could have begun from the language barrier. Some things might get lost in translation when you are not a native English speaker and even now when I look at the quotes you wrote down, it feels correct when you translate it straight to Estonian. But sometimes when you think Estonian and try to translate it into English our words might come out as offensive even thought they were intended to be helpful.

I am sorry for these misunderstandings, still.
I sure hope this did not ruin your vacation in Tallinn!

Best regards,

Reviewed 19 July 2014

This hotel is right in the middle of Tallinn Old Town - Views from our room were superb. However our room was a tiny attic room with barely enough room to move. Maybe ask for a larger room. Breakfasts were ok, limited variety compared to other hotels we have stayed. Location excellent- so close to restaurants and souvenir shops.

Room Tip: If you want a view choose the attic rooms - but remember you won't have much room-
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Rhonda,

Thank you for your post!
I am glad you were pleased with our location. Hopefully you will have a good memory of us as well as Tallinn and maybe we can top it the next time you visit.

With best wishes,

Reviewed 11 July 2014

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, my room was sparkling clean and modern (on the 3rd floor and there was no elevator but I enjoyed the exercise), and the wifi worked well. They even had a computer!!!. My room was very quiet. The location is convenient to the old town and also the central city. The breakfast was basic, and no hot food which is the only criticism I have. This was old world charm with modern convenience.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear MsEnergy,

Thank you for the post!
It will surely be useful for other users, too.

I am very happy to see that you had an experience as enjoyable as we have always imagined our guests should have. You could not have put it in better words!

Looking forward to have you back!

Reviewed 7 July 2014

You can't beat the location as it's walking distance to everywhere you want to go in Tallinn. The staff is friendly and while the rooms aren't modern, they are clean, comfortable and quiet. The price is very good for what you get though obviously it's a small, older hotel and not a 5-star or super luxury type of place.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Stacey,

Thank you for your comments!
It is great to see that you found Taanilinna Hotell enjoyable and I am glad that we made up in cozyness what we might lack on the size.

Whenever back in Tallinn, you are obviously welcome here!

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Nice ,clean and cosy .A old renovated building in the very heart of city centre with heartbreaking view over an ancient wall of medieval town makes it a good place for exploring old and new Tallinn.There are 20 rooms on 3 floors,nice sunny terrace outside restaurant for lovers coffe with a cigarette.They are dog freindly.I found only 2 things which need to be improved.Beds are rather narrow 120 sm,and the breakfast has no hot meals,no porrige or sausages.Personelle speaks English ,everyone is helpful.The hotel is in 5 min drive from the port, railway and bus stations by taxi.

Room Tip: Room on the 3 d floor has a marvelous view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Veronika,

Thank you for your suggestions!
We will surely take them into consideration and maybe by the next time you visit us, we have made some improvements already.

Until then, all the best!
Kind regards,