The short version is that if you are willing to take a ten minute bus ride away from the hustle and bustle of the city center, which I recommend, you can retire at the end of the day a seven minute walk away from the beach across the street from the Tallinn Song Festival Grounds.
This is a nice fifty room hotel in the suburbs minutes from the city center. The rooms have phones, cable television, baths or shower s and there is a nice lobby restaurant called Kadri. To my mind, the negatives are few: First, when you retire for the evening there are no convenience stores nearby so stop at supermarket one bus stop prior to reaching the hotel. Second, even if rooms are available you will not be allowed to check in early unless you pay ten euro. Frankly, I think the hotel will be better served if they simply said your room was not available instead of offering to allow you to check in two hours early for ten Euro but, truth to tell, I have never managed a hotel so what do I know? The hotel has no ice machine and you have to get ice from the bar.
The positives far outweigh the two negatives. The hotel is walking distance from a nice Japanese Garden and Kadriorg Park. Both are beautiful and Kadriorg Park has lots of open space. The hotel is also near Kadrioru Castle, the Peter the Great House Museum, a swan pond, and the sea and Kadrioru Stadium. You can also get to all the major attractions Tallinn has to offer in ten minutes by bus.
The staff was especially friendly and if you need any type of assistance I would suggest that you contact Henri at the front desk. Henri was courteous, hard-working, extremely helpful with directions, and he has quite a sense of humor. If you need help when you arrive, I urge you to look for Henri.
Speaking of arriving, if you have travelled light and by ferry (we always come over from Helsinki) I would highly recommend foregoing a taxi and getting an e-ticket to use the bus and rail system. A three day ticket costs five Euros and five days will set you back six. The ticket allows you to take the busses and light rail all over the place. From the ferry terminal find the “R Kiosk” and buy your e-ticket and two Euro smartcard, then first take the number 2 bus to the city center bus terminal. The busses originate downstairs at this bus terminal and you can take the number 19, 29, 35, 44, 60, or 63 to the hotel which is about two hundred yards from the bus stop.
I would definitely try the hotel restaurant called Kadri because the prices are reasonable and the food was pretty good. Try the borsch with fillet of elk! Also, breakfast is served in this restaurant. I would not miss breakfast. Simply stated, it was terrific and in addition to the regular eggs, and bacon they have wonderful fruits and desert.
Unlike other reviewers I did not find the hotel walls to be thin and I just don’t know how anyone could rate this hotel as “awful.” I think it is a strong three and a half star hotel and it is the choice for me in Tallinn for a basic, clean, safe hotel away from all of the night life at the end of the day.
The hotel is near a lot of cool things and I recommend:
1. Estonian History Museum
2. SALT restaurant on Vase Street
3. The supermarket one bus stop away at Poska
4. Lounge twenty-four (for drinks)
5. Chicago 1933 (restaurant)
6. Old Town
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Oru Hotel is fitted with 51 rooms that comply to 3*** stars superior standards including one suite with a sauna and an apartement with a jaccuzzi. The rooms have a simple but pleasant decor. All rooms have a telephone, satellite-TV, bathroom and shower. The suite has a living room, a bedroom and bathroom with sauna. Otherwise it is equipped according to the same standards as other rooms. Extra beds are available at an extra charge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Oru Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.