“This Is Where I Will Stay In Tallinn”
Review of Oru Hotel

Oru Hotel
Ranked #19 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Reviewed 6 June 2014

The short version is that if you are willing to take a ten minute bus ride away from the hustle and bustle of the city center, which I recommend, you can retire at the end of the day a seven minute walk away from the beach across the street from the Tallinn Song Festival Grounds.

This is a nice fifty room hotel in the suburbs minutes from the city center. The rooms have phones, cable television, baths or shower s and there is a nice lobby restaurant called Kadri. To my mind, the negatives are few: First, when you retire for the evening there are no convenience stores nearby so stop at supermarket one bus stop prior to reaching the hotel. Second, even if rooms are available you will not be allowed to check in early unless you pay ten euro. Frankly, I think the hotel will be better served if they simply said your room was not available instead of offering to allow you to check in two hours early for ten Euro but, truth to tell, I have never managed a hotel so what do I know? The hotel has no ice machine and you have to get ice from the bar.

The positives far outweigh the two negatives. The hotel is walking distance from a nice Japanese Garden and Kadriorg Park. Both are beautiful and Kadriorg Park has lots of open space. The hotel is also near Kadrioru Castle, the Peter the Great House Museum, a swan pond, and the sea and Kadrioru Stadium. You can also get to all the major attractions Tallinn has to offer in ten minutes by bus.

The staff was especially friendly and if you need any type of assistance I would suggest that you contact Henri at the front desk. Henri was courteous, hard-working, extremely helpful with directions, and he has quite a sense of humor. If you need help when you arrive, I urge you to look for Henri.

Speaking of arriving, if you have travelled light and by ferry (we always come over from Helsinki) I would highly recommend foregoing a taxi and getting an e-ticket to use the bus and rail system. A three day ticket costs five Euros and five days will set you back six. The ticket allows you to take the busses and light rail all over the place. From the ferry terminal find the “R Kiosk” and buy your e-ticket and two Euro smartcard, then first take the number 2 bus to the city center bus terminal. The busses originate downstairs at this bus terminal and you can take the number 19, 29, 35, 44, 60, or 63 to the hotel which is about two hundred yards from the bus stop.

I would definitely try the hotel restaurant called Kadri because the prices are reasonable and the food was pretty good. Try the borsch with fillet of elk! Also, breakfast is served in this restaurant. I would not miss breakfast. Simply stated, it was terrific and in addition to the regular eggs, and bacon they have wonderful fruits and desert.

Unlike other reviewers I did not find the hotel walls to be thin and I just don’t know how anyone could rate this hotel as “awful.” I think it is a strong three and a half star hotel and it is the choice for me in Tallinn for a basic, clean, safe hotel away from all of the night life at the end of the day.

The hotel is near a lot of cool things and I recommend:

1. Estonian History Museum
2. SALT restaurant on Vase Street
3. The supermarket one bus stop away at Poska
4. Lounge twenty-four (for drinks)
5. Chicago 1933 (restaurant)
6. Old Town

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank CHOCOOLATE
Kristel M, Sales Manager at Oru Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you for choosing Oru Hotel***. We are pleased to read such thorough and synoptic review. Our waiters give their best and it is pleasant to read that it is noticed.
We are proud to say that we have strengthened sound isolation in our rooms and it is positive that you noticed!

You are more than welcome back and I wish you would contact me in the hotel so I can thank you in person. Your nice review is exactly the impression we want to make on our guests.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Sits between the shore of the baltic sea and a great park zone. Just several bus stops away from city center makes it a great choice for those who come to visit Tallinn old town. Huge parking lot was a good bonus as well.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank SirJ99
Kristel M, Sales Manager at Oru Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your nice comment. We wish you the best and we hope to see you here again in Oru Hotel.

Please feel free to contact me directly on kristel@oruhotel.ee on your next visit to Oru Hotel so I can personally assist you with all your reservation needs.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

We stayed for two nights and really enjoyed our stay. The room was cosy and tidy and having a bathtub was really a big plus as we travelled with our 3-year-old daughter who enjoys water a LOT :o) Breakfast was nice as well as dinner at the hotel restaurant. A small minus for the overenthusiastic waitress who cleaned our table during a short visit to the restrooms during breakfast with the little one - but of course we helped ourselves to a second round at the breakfast buffet as we were in no hurry.

The staff was very friendly!

We will definitely come again! Aitäh!

Room Tip: Thirdfloor doubleroom with extrabed suited perfectly a family of three
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Squiik
Kristel M, Sales manager at Oru Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Customer!

Thank you very much for choosing the Oru Hotel Superior. It is a pleasure to read such kind words regarding my dear colleagues and our hotel.

Please feel free to contact me directly on kristel@oruhotel.ee should you ever wish to return.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Had a nice time in this hotel. Room for two is very nice and cosy, Reception is friendly and welcoming.

Perfect place to stay as a couple because just in 5 minutes by walk there is great Kardriorg Park.

Better visit in spring/summer.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Aleksandr

I am delighted to read that you found the hotel nice and comfortable.
We all work hard to give a very personal service at Oru Hotel, we really want that our guests feel like at home. We really appreciate you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

The hotel itself is a regular 3* hotel. Soundproof is a bit poor as well as bed quality. But in our case it wasn't an issue. We traveled with friends so we knew that it isn't any 4* or 5* hotel.
The only thing which surprise us a lot was the staff. The girls were very helpfull and friendly. The helped us a lot. Specially Siret and Natalya! Many thanks to them!
Very good restaurant with resonable prices.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Kristel M, Director of Sales at Oru Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Dear Alex,

Thank you for your honest feedback about your latest stay with us. We greatly appreciate You taking the time to share your impressions with TripAdvisor

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Very friendly stuff. The parking is free as well. In very close proximity to the Song Ground which was the purpose of our stay. Suitable for concert and park visitors. Breakfast was rather good. But sleeping quality was really bad. Traffic noise from street and sound insulation between rooms was so bad! We can´t sleep.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Pilleriin68
Kristel M, Director of Sales at Oru Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Dear Customer !

I sincerely hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me upon making your booking and I will be more than happy to assist You.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

My friend and I stayed in Tallinn for 5 nights - primarily to see Robbie Williams but also to see some of the main sights of Tallinn too. The room was quite basic but for a short stay was perfectly adequate. Being Brits, we would have like some tea & coffee making facilities in our room which was one negative aspect and also servicing was not done very frequently but all in all we enjoyed our stay. There was a good selection at breakfast and we also ate dinner in the restaurant one evening and it was very nice and good value for money. The hotel is about a 10 minute bus ride away from Tallinn old town and after hours, taxi prices were very reasonable (cheaper at night than through the day actually). The staff were very friendly and when we did have some trouble with lack of hot water when the hotel was busy, we did get a small gift when we left by way of apology. I will certainly be going back to Tallinn and would definitely stay here if it was to attend a music event. It is good value for money.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank HelenShep
Kristel M, Director of Sales at Oru Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. I am very sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations in all points. We are not perfect, but we always try to improve our service standard.

Best regards.