“No frills, excellent value and eccentric little hostel!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Vana Tom

Vana Tom
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tallinn
Vana Tom
Ranked #59 of 109 Speciality Lodging in Tallinn
Carlisle
“No frills, excellent value and eccentric little hostel!”
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights in July 2011, sharing a room with 5 other people including my boyfriend (the other 4 people were coursemates from uni). It was only 8 euros a night per person!

There were 3 bunk beds in our room, a wardrobe and 3 little bedside drawers and a mirror. Toilets and showers were communal but were on our corridor and kept quite clean. We were given sheets to sleep in aswell, towels were not included.

There was also a communal kitchen with a tv, dvd player and dvds to watch! Free wi-fi was also included which was a bonus :)

It is a cute little hostel located right in the heart of Old Town, Tallinn. The staff were friendly enough. Tallinn natives are definitely different to British people though...not as smiley or approachable!

Tallinn is a gorgeous little city with medieval looking buildings and streets in Old Town, and more modern buildings and roads the further outside you go. There is at least one shopping mall and two beaches which were very beautiful and one day there was a heatwave but another day it was freezing cold!

There's plenty to do in Tallinn - we visited the abandoned prison, quite a trek away on foot but i'm sure a taxi would have been cheap enough. The transport system over there is different to ours, much more laid back. We got on a tram and didn't have to buy fares as the driver just let us on and off for free! Fares are extremely cheap anyway, like 50p to travel quite a few miles.

It has some gorgeous architecture. Nightlife was buzzing - people were sitting drinking in pubs/cafes all day and until the early hours and shops/cafes don't open until 10am at the earliest! There's quite a few clubs there and it is very gay-friendly.

The food was lovely - such good quality for cheap prices, we had 3 courses for about 12 euros in this hidden restaurant in the Old Town, up a well hidden street - can't remember the name unfortunately :( We also went to this Texas-themed pub/restaurant (featured in Lonely Planet travel books) which was really good value food and had a lovely atmosphere.

Food is not served in the hostel.

If i was to come to Tallinn again, i would stay in this hostel! Everyone should go here :)

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends

Business
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 29 March 2010

I missed my plane, so I needed some budget accomodation just for one night. This hostel is located right at the historical city centre, and it's quite difficult to find even with exact address and map in your hand. I stayed there in December, when the hostel was almost empty, so I had my own room for very good price. The rooms are quite small, with bunk beds, and with (for someone) interesting decoration. There is a common TV room and some DVDs available, but I arrived too late to be allowed to use it, since I could disturb other guests. The computer for guests wasn't working, but the staff was very willing and helpful so I could use theirs to check timetables. Then the staff changed for night, and the new guy was way less willing than the previous one. At night there were some drunk guests running and yelling in corridors, and the staff didn't seem to care. When I was checking out, I had to hand over linens and towel at the reception desk, instead leaving it in the room. I left very early, so I can't tell a word about breakfast. In general, I was a bit disappointed, but I certainly got adequate service for the price.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
Toronto
Reviewed 3 October 2009

I stayed here for 3 nights last month. I had a map and the address, but the hostel is poorly marked so it is quite difficult to find. I walked past it about 5 times before finally realising I was right in front of it. It's on the 2nd floor of a building, and above it is a strip club. There is a LOT of street noise if you have a front room -- beware! The beds were comfortable and the rooms and bed linens were very clean. Outside of the rooms themselves, however, the hostel is quite run-down. Not as great as it looks in the website photos. They have kitchen utilities, hot water and good water pressure, fast internet, and the location is great. Free breakfast consisted of boiled eggs, toast, yogurt, cereal, tomato and cucumber. Staff were accommodating. I was the only girl in my room when 5 guys moved in, so they moved me to another dorm that had only one other girl staying in it, which was considerate, I thought. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 16 September 2009

Great hostel in the middle of the oldtown of Tallinn. I payd 13€ per night in 6-bed dorm with breakfast. Everything was clean. The common room was very nice, the kitchen was completely equiped and the woman at the front-desk was very helpful!
The crazy styling of the hostel is really great. There´s a lot to discover :D
Unfortunatly there´s no parking space near the hostel (even the very expensive hotels don´t have), you have to park on monitored parking lot (parking on the street is dangerous with a foreign car sign!!!!!!!) which costs about 6€ for 24h.
All in all this hostel is totally awesome! Best adress in Tallin! Surely!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
Spain
Reviewed 29 April 2009

I stayed at this hostel in January. It was my first time in Tallin but the directions given to me were easy enough to find the hostel.
I stayed in a 10 bed dorm which was in the older part of the building but was still perfectly fine for the low price of just €6 a night. The new part was obviously recently renovated if you want to upgrade to a private room.
There was supposed to be internet access but there it wasn't working when I was there.
The kitchen is small but has everything you need, the bathrooms were huge and the staff very friendly.

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — Internet not working
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Finland
Reviewed 10 January 2009

Excellent location, friendly service; rooms are relatively small, but then again, what does one expect to get for 16e smack in the center of a capital?

Free coffee and chocolate candies available every morning. :-)

The place was generally clean and tidy, although there was some kind of strange odour in one of the showers on the first floor - perhaps due to ongoing reconstruction; no such problems in the upper floor (where there is a separate set of toilets and showers).

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
Dublin
Reviewed 27 October 2008

Im happy to review this Hostel. Perfect location, clean and well run with good facilities like internet, free coffee and locker use. I would happily return there and it was much more than I was expecting.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Hard to find
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Garryy