Hotel Imperial
Ranked #26 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I stayed in Tallinn at the Baltic Imperial for a work-related conference at the end of March. Overall, I had a great experience with the hotel. I had a single room, which was big enough to be comfortable, with a bed, desk, two chairs, a wardrobe, and a nice bathroom with a shower (no bath). It was easy to unpack everything and still have plenty of room to relax. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and the wireless worked well throughout the trip (the one time I had problems I mentioned this at the front desk; everything was fine again when I came back later). Related to this, the hotel staff were always friendly and helpful. The included breakfast had a nice combination of cold and warm items, and the attached "Imperial Pub" was a comfortable place to relax. Finally, the location is, in my opinion, ideal: close enough to the old town (maybe 3 minutes from the central square) to see everything, but enough on the edge that I didn't have a problem with street noise, crowds always walking by, etc.

It's actually hard to find cons, but I have two. First, the breakfast is in a cheese-themed restaurant, meaning that the breakfast room has a faint "cheesy" aroma. You can probably take your food to the adjacent pub if this is a problem, and it didn't really bother me, but it's something to be aware of. Second, I think, at the start of my trip, this also gave an "interesting" smell to my room. This cleared shortly after I arrived, and didn't come back over the days I was there.

Overall, a great hotel, in a great location, in a fun city to visit. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 31 March 2012

The location of the hotel is good, the rooms are fine. Was just annoyed when my room did not have the promised wi-fi (because it was located too far away in the hallway) and I had to insist twice on changing rooms. Finally I just walked along the corridor with my smartphone until I had a signal and then pointed to the nearest door and said "I want that room". Cleaning service was not very good. Finally, the following day they had taken away the extra pillows from the bed (it had been made for 2 people, but I was alone). I called downstairs to request the 2 extra pillows (I love extra pillows). Instead of being told " Yes/of course/no problem/just a minute", the receptionist told me I had paid for a single room and asked why I need the extra pillows. Was I planning to have someone stay over? Seriously!
Oh, and during breakfast I asked if, because of my allergies which makes most of the buffett superfluous, they could make me porridge without milk I was immediately told no. It was not until I started walking towards the kitchen to have a talk with them that I was told ok, they would make the porridge.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 January 2012

We stayed in Tallinn in December 2011 - we went to visit the Christmas markets for the weekend. The hotel is in a great location, the main square was a very short walk (important because Tallinn is COLD so you need to find hot wine quickly! :)

We were allowed to check in early after our early flight (11.30) which was great because we could change and get out sightseeing straight away.

Our room was small but very comfortable, with nice toiletries and plenty of cupboard space. The bathroom was clean, modern and the shower was powerful and hot - very important to me!! Our room was facing the street but we were never bothered by noise, its a pretty quiet street.

Breakfast was good, lots of selection and some hot choices. There weren't many tables in the room where the food was though, so we had to carry our plates through to another room when we wanted seconds or more coffee but it really wasn't a bother.

The staff were nice and friendly, spoke english and arranged a taxi to the airport for us no problem. They also made the most delicious hot chocolate!

I'd definitely stay there again when visiting Tallinn.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank L0nd0nAndrea
Reviewed 11 January 2012

This is a wonderful hotel. The location, within walking distance of the castle, main square and railway station, is superb. The rooms are comfortable and stylish with sparkling modern bathrooms. The breakfast buffet is varied, of high quality and very generous. The staff give the impression that nothing is too much trouble to make your stay a perfect one. There is free wi-fi throughout the hotel. Due to the very thick walls, the wifi is not always great in the distant corners of the hotel but all the rooms also have a free wi-fi socket and the hotel will lend you a cable if you don't have one. In the evenings the bar is friendly and cosy, and is a great place to spend an hour or so before going to bed. We would return to this hotel without hesitation.

Room Tip: All rooms are good, and the streets outside are quiet so there is little chance of being disturbed b...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank Michael S
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Very friendly staff, clean room, nicely decorated, they have kept character of the nice old building. There is also a nice pub-restaurant conveniently located in the same building. overall a great and remarkable experience. Strongly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank AAlhazred
Reviewed 8 January 2012

A small hotel with nice personell, trying for the boutique feel, but the finishings and services are not quite up to 5*. But if you manage your expectations it's a nice hotel at a good location with friendly staff. Can be great value for money depending on the price you get.

Room Tip: I can only say that the room sizes and brightness seem to vary a lot considering the reviews... We h...
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GenerallyWandering
Reviewed 3 January 2012

We stayed at this hotel over the New Year. The hotel is small, comfortable and the staff provided excellent service. Our room was rather small and the lighting could have been better as we read in bed and only had one side light. The bathroom was bright light and the shower really good.

The only critisicim I have is the breakfast. The staff let things run out.I had to ask the waiter every morning to fill up the hot water jug for tea, the hot food wasnt topped up enough and the staff seemed more interested in clearing the tables than checking that bowls, cups and food was available. The staff were pleasant but just a bit untrained. It didnt spoil the overall view of this hotel. we would book again

Room Tip: dont know but we were in room 302 and it was small
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple