“What can I say?”
Review of Hotel Imperial

Hotel Imperial
Ranked #29 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Reviewed 13 April 2012

There is a lot of positives about the Imperial Baltic. The desk and cleaning staff were great. I loved the location. Breakfast was fine. The room was good in terms of space, fridge, television, goodish shower. The main let down was the lack of internet. Yes, the hotel had wifi but it did not reach all the rooms -- including ours (210).

The front desk staff were great. Very bubbly and friendly and also very helpful. Full marks. The room was cleaned on time and it was a good job. However, we had two of the smallest beds you could imagine. It reminded me of being in a student dorm in the 1960s. The room was excessively warm and the only way of dealing with this was to open the window (but that wasn't too bad).

The location was good if you were looking for a base in the old town (we were). And then it is only a 15 minute walk to the `new' town anyway. We liked being able to get to anywhere in the old town easily.

Breakfast was okay. Not your bacon and eggs style but there were things to eat. The breakfast room was positively medieval (in the best and literal sense) but the staff we all Po-faced. Little warmth.

One of the reasons we picked the hotel was access to internet. Thus we were disappointed to find that the only way we could access it was by going downstairs to a very public area. We wanted to use skype and didn't want people to hear our conversation. We did complain. They did offer us another room (but with a bed that was a really small double -- so no good for us). We just wanted what was advertised -- wifi in each room. The hotel was full so no possibility of a room change.
I would go back but would want to establish in advance that the room could actually pick up internet.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kakha

Reviewed 10 April 2012

We first stayed at this hotel two years ago and were impressed with its location, the interior design and the friendly front desk staff, so we decided that when we returned to Tallinn for Easter this year, we would try to book it again.

Unfortunately, when we contacted the hotel directly, they were full. But we were able to secure a room on Expedia at the same rate. This time our room was overlooking a side street, which was good because it was quiet but bad because it didn't pick up the internet signal. We tried a previous reviewer's suggestion of walking down the corridor with our iPads until we picked up a signal but unfortunately due to the hotel being full, the only room available (with signal) was very small. So we opted for room-space over cyber-space. Not a big deal b/c we could go to the lobby for the signal but bad if you wanted to use SKYPE.

None of the standard rooms are very big but they do have a small fridge, where you can store your own water and not be charged for moving items, like some of the larger chains. The bathrooms are modern and have in-floor heating. The only complaint would be that the beds are too small----a double is a North American double----not a queen. And the twin beds are very, very narrow and the lighting was dim from the bedside lamps.

A nice feature of the hotel is that the walls of the fortress actually form one of the wall's in the hotel corridor! The public areas are also very sympathetically restored and the breakfast room, which is the 'cheese restaurant' in the evening, is very cozy.

Breakfast was plentiful and hot both hot and cold options. The coffee was exceptionally delicious and went down well with the cherry and mango mouse cakes that were also part of the breakfast spread!

The location is, as others have noted, about 3 min. from the main old town square and a 20 min. walk to the ferries and 3 min. to the train and bus station.

We would stay here again, as location and overall atmosphere were perfect. It was hard rating this property because so many things are above average but the bed size and lamps need improving. Still, in Tallinn there is so much to do that one shouldn't spend too much time in the room!

Room Tip: If internet in the room isn't important, ask for a room on the side street 6-11, especially in t...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Have just stayed for 2 nights here and found this to be a lovely hotel. Location was good and very central to Tallinn old town, just inside the wall.
Our room was on the 3rd floor, not massive but nicely presented. It had a small wardrobe area to hang clothes, plus quite a few shelves, a mini bar and work desk plus chair. The room had some exposed brick work which added some charm to it. The bed was extremely comfy, maybe a bit soft for some people. The bathroom had a heated floor which was lovely, but must add the bath seemed very high and to climb into the bath to have a shower was quite a big step up. Bath robes were also provided.
Breakfast was ok, not a great choice unless you like rice, cakes & sweet things for breakfast. Also the breakfast room itself was quite small with not many tables, which might become a problem at busy times.
The staff however were very friendly and helpful.
Overall a lovely hotel located well within walking distance to lots of restaurants, shops and sightseeing Tallinn.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I stayed in Tallinn at the Baltic Imperial for a work-related conference at the end of March. Overall, I had a great experience with the hotel. I had a single room, which was big enough to be comfortable, with a bed, desk, two chairs, a wardrobe, and a nice bathroom with a shower (no bath). It was easy to unpack everything and still have plenty of room to relax. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and the wireless worked well throughout the trip (the one time I had problems I mentioned this at the front desk; everything was fine again when I came back later). Related to this, the hotel staff were always friendly and helpful. The included breakfast had a nice combination of cold and warm items, and the attached "Imperial Pub" was a comfortable place to relax. Finally, the location is, in my opinion, ideal: close enough to the old town (maybe 3 minutes from the central square) to see everything, but enough on the edge that I didn't have a problem with street noise, crowds always walking by, etc.

It's actually hard to find cons, but I have two. First, the breakfast is in a cheese-themed restaurant, meaning that the breakfast room has a faint "cheesy" aroma. You can probably take your food to the adjacent pub if this is a problem, and it didn't really bother me, but it's something to be aware of. Second, I think, at the start of my trip, this also gave an "interesting" smell to my room. This cleared shortly after I arrived, and didn't come back over the days I was there.

Overall, a great hotel, in a great location, in a fun city to visit. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 March 2012

The location of the hotel is good, the rooms are fine. Was just annoyed when my room did not have the promised wi-fi (because it was located too far away in the hallway) and I had to insist twice on changing rooms. Finally I just walked along the corridor with my smartphone until I had a signal and then pointed to the nearest door and said "I want that room". Cleaning service was not very good. Finally, the following day they had taken away the extra pillows from the bed (it had been made for 2 people, but I was alone). I called downstairs to request the 2 extra pillows (I love extra pillows). Instead of being told " Yes/of course/no problem/just a minute", the receptionist told me I had paid for a single room and asked why I need the extra pillows. Was I planning to have someone stay over? Seriously!
Oh, and during breakfast I asked if, because of my allergies which makes most of the buffett superfluous, they could make me porridge without milk I was immediately told no. It was not until I started walking towards the kitchen to have a talk with them that I was told ok, they would make the porridge.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 January 2012

We stayed in Tallinn in December 2011 - we went to visit the Christmas markets for the weekend. The hotel is in a great location, the main square was a very short walk (important because Tallinn is COLD so you need to find hot wine quickly! :)

We were allowed to check in early after our early flight (11.30) which was great because we could change and get out sightseeing straight away.

Our room was small but very comfortable, with nice toiletries and plenty of cupboard space. The bathroom was clean, modern and the shower was powerful and hot - very important to me!! Our room was facing the street but we were never bothered by noise, its a pretty quiet street.

Breakfast was good, lots of selection and some hot choices. There weren't many tables in the room where the food was though, so we had to carry our plates through to another room when we wanted seconds or more coffee but it really wasn't a bother.

The staff were nice and friendly, spoke english and arranged a taxi to the airport for us no problem. They also made the most delicious hot chocolate!

I'd definitely stay there again when visiting Tallinn.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank L0nd0nAndrea
Reviewed 11 January 2012

This is a wonderful hotel. The location, within walking distance of the castle, main square and railway station, is superb. The rooms are comfortable and stylish with sparkling modern bathrooms. The breakfast buffet is varied, of high quality and very generous. The staff give the impression that nothing is too much trouble to make your stay a perfect one. There is free wi-fi throughout the hotel. Due to the very thick walls, the wifi is not always great in the distant corners of the hotel but all the rooms also have a free wi-fi socket and the hotel will lend you a cable if you don't have one. In the evenings the bar is friendly and cosy, and is a great place to spend an hour or so before going to bed. We would return to this hotel without hesitation.

Room Tip: All rooms are good, and the streets outside are quiet so there is little chance of being disturbed b...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends