“Bait and Switch”

Ranked #27 of 85 Hotels in Tallinn
Birmingham, Alabama
“Bait and Switch”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We booked a reservation with this hotel several months ago, but a few days before we arrived, in the middle of our vacation, we received an e-mail saying that they could not honor our reservation. They wanted to move us to a different hotel. It seems they are using the Baltic Imperial as a come-on, over-booking it and moving people to their other, less desirable hotels. The one they wanted to move us to is one which we had looked at and decided against back when we were researching accommodations in Tallin.

International travelers must be able to rely on reservations, but the Baltic Imperial does not appear to believe that honoring reservations is a priority..

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Bob B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ancona, Italy
Reviewed 13 May 2014

very good hotel for everything: location quite e central, reception with very gentle e nice girls, everywhere very clean e also excellent breakfast. very particular e good looking restaurant with great service e food: try it

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank marco m
Blackpool
Reviewed 26 April 2014

This was our 5th visit to Tallinn and our 1st visit to this hotel and maybe this review would be different if we hadn't just spent 2 nights across town at the Taanilinna hotel where they know what good customer service is.
Firstly this is a beautiful hotel in a privileged location in the old town. Our standard room was a good size and the beds very comfy. Breakfast was also plentiful with a good variety HOWEVER the customer service at this hotel was Bad Bad Bad.
Checking in at reception was abrupt and unfriendly which I have to say isn't unusual in hotels in Tallinn but it went downhill from there. My partner needed to iron a shirt for a night out. He asked at reception and the guy behind the desk advised he would bring an iron up to our room. After waiting and waiting (we had a table booked) the iron never arrived. We went back to reception to cancel the iron on our way out and the guy behind the desk shrugged his shoulders giving a very curt 'ok'. He barely looked at us and couldn't have looked more disinterested if he had tried. This whole lack of interest towards its customers seemed to apply throughout our stay. Unlike when we stayed at Taanilinna we did not feel we could approach reception if we needed any help or suggestions. When checking out the lady took our money and phoned our taxi without asking whether everything had been okay or if we had enjoyed our stay she simply looked at us like 'go away'. I took this opportunity to have a giggle and sarcastically ask my partner whether he had enjoyed his stay anyway :)
As i said before this is a lovely looking hotel that could be so much better with politer staff hence why i think it lacks any atmosphere. The overall feel for me was that this hotel is a bit up its own **** . There are many hotels in Tallinn to choose from and there is much competition for this hotel. Don't spend you're money where it isn't appreciated. A special note to staff *Manners cost nothing*

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RiggersBlackpool
Redditch England
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Just returned from a three night stay at this small friendly hotel. Rooms are on the small size but very clean an functional. The receptionist was very helpful an our room was ready early so we could unpack immediately. The buffet breakfast is of a good standard an you can always find something that you like. The bar is reasonably priced an the whole hotel is full of character an charm. We would definitely stay here again, as it's a good location an good value for money.

Room Tip: Top floor room
Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JulieRedditchEngland
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 12 February 2014

This hotel is nice smallish hotel, located in the old town of Tallinn. Our room was quite small, but very nicely decorated. Hotel staff was friendly and very helpful. Breakfast was great with lot of things to eat. Also the hotel pub was nice for couple of drinks. Overall this hotel is really nice, and the best thing is the location. There are many really good and cheap restaurants nearby. And really good cafe just opposite this hotel! You should try some pastry for less than 1 eur!
We also reserved parking place for our car (they have only 3 parking places), If you have is quite low (we have Toyota prius), you should really watch our, while driving to parking area. Our car bottom hit some gate structure, but luckily it was not damaged!
Overall I highly recommend this hotel, if you want to stay in Tallinn old town!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank VenlaJ
Tallinn
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I reserve and I pay one room for 3 adult in september, and than I arrive I have found one room for 2 adult and there is not a very third bed ,but one terrible bed for a child.And the first night there is broken ,the same the second night (and the hotel give me a single room) the third night the third bed there is broken, and in this night the hotel is full, than my father sleep on the floor.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

2 Thank Gallo G
Tampere, Finland
Reviewed 22 December 2013

So I was in BHI with my boyfriend. We both are a bit over 20 years old.

The hotel is pretty hard to find the first few times, but the small alleys are one of the places charms. I think the location is perfect. It's surprisingly close to the centre. We were out one night and found our way back easily even a bit drunk.

The hotel gave me a A+ first impression. The receptionist was friendly compared to Estonian people in general. There was a lovely Christmas tree in the lobby and a nicely dressed cleaning lady vacuuming the carpet. By nicely dressed I mean cute uniform, not some over-sized t-shirt and jeans. (It's the little things!)

We left our car in the parking area. It was smaller than we thought (space for max 3 cars), but it didn't matter since there were no other cars. Not sure how it works in busier seasons. Parking was 15e/day.

Our room was 302. At first, I didn't like the room. It seemed really small and it smelled like cat pee. It wasn't super pungent, but it was there. We didn't smell it after few hours, tough. We took a nap and I fell in love with the bed, it was probably the most comfortable bed ever. The sheets and everything. I miss you, bed! Second glimpse of the room was completely different. It was clean, beautiful and pretty high class. Really cute and romantic. Maybe I was just tired when we got there.

I was very pleased with the breakfast.

I love cheeses so we had to try the Cheese restaurant. It was actually one of the main reasons why we booked Hotel Imperial! The atmosphere there is very warm and it's a well decorated place. Our waiter seemed really kind, but insecure. We asked what cheeses were in the cheese plate we ordered, and he didn't know! He said very embarrassed that they were different cheeses. Ok, thank you for that? We expected the waiter to have some knowledge of cheeses since he worked in a cheese restaurant. The food on the other hand was incredible. My boyfriend had a beef steak and I had the duck. The waiter didn't ask how would my boyfriend wanted his steak. The steak (it was cooked medium), though, was easily the best one I had tasted. The duck was also so good. I'm sorry I don't know any good words to describe the food, but it really was excellent.

All in all, I was really pleased with the Hotel. We might visit it again next year. :)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple