“Jason from portsmouth,England”

Ranked #17 of 85 Hotels in Tallinn
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Jason from portsmouth,England”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Hello 4 times to this hotel in 3 Years.Nice and friendly staff,Breakfast nice and filling,toast,yogurt,tea ,coffee,cerial,and hot food aswell.Scandanavian breakfast ? Nice warm rooms,and comfy beds.Nice cheap buget place.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
EconomyHotelTallinn, Front Office Manager at Economy Hotell, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear Jason!

Thank you for staying in Economy Hotel again and for your review.
We really appreciate that you find your way back here again and again.

I am happy to read that you found our rooms warm and comfy.
I will forward you good word about our staff. Thank you!
And also I will forward these nice words to restaurant.

We are looking forward to see you in the future!

Leelia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Surrey
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We have just returned from 2 nights at the Economy Hotel. Our room was basic and small but spotlessly clean and warm. Pillows were very flat and lumpy but when I asked the staff for some more the next morning they changed them and gave me some extra. Bathroom immaculate, hot power shower, towels small but did the job.. Rooms cleaned daily. The breakfast again basic but for the price good value. Porridge and choice of other cereal, tea, coffee and a sweet orange drink and water, bread and a toaster, pancakes and jam, hard boiled eggs, sausages, vegetable dish, ham and cheese. Staff were friendly and helpful and if you are on a budget, hotel excellent value..Hotel 5/10 mins walk from old town and next to train/bus/tram station. We got the 21 bus on one day to the open air museum which was lovely and well worth the 20 minute bus ride. On our last day we discovered the marzipan museum in the old town where you learn to make your own models. Give Olde Hansa a miss, Clayhills much nicer food and cheaper.Live music in Klass after 11pm each night if you are still awake after all the sight seeing. Taxi from airport 8-10 euros. Airport the nicest I have been in, arms chairs, children's play area and good reasonably priced food.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sarah136Surrey
EconomyHotelTallinn, Front Office Manager at Economy Hotell, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear Sarah136Surrey!

Thank You for your staying in Economy Hotel and for Your review.
We are glad to read that You found our hotel clean and warm. We are trying to make our guests feel comfortable here, so thank You for noticing that.
I will forward Your nice words about breakfast to restaurant.
Tallinn has lot to offer, so if you have a chance- come again!

We are looking forward to hear from you in the future.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 6 January 2014

The other reviews say the rooms are large, I don't know what happened with ours but it was a double bed put in a glorified closet. This room should only have a single in it. We both had suitcases and there wasn't enough room to put them both on the floor and still open the door. I had to put mine under the desk. I took photos but can't figure out how to upload them.

I know it's cheap but every single hostel room I've ever stayed in has been bigger than that. The bathroom door hit the bed when you opened it.

The wifi does not work in the rooms!!!!! I think that this should have to be specified. It's unacceptable to say that "it doesn't work if everyone is using i" etc etc excuses that have been offered as comments by management on here. The solution is simple: get better Internet. Yes it works fine in the lobby, but who wants to sit at table and chairs after a long day of exploring.

One staff member (blonde lady) was very apathetic, we avoided the desk when she was there. The other staff were nice. Called taxis and printed our bookings and things for us.

Didn't try the breakfast - no one offered it to us. We might have even paid for it, we don't know.

Location is opposite a train station which looks dodgy but I don't think it is. I used the atm out there at night with people in the area and nothing happened. Close to old town.

No elevator - if you've for big suitcases you have to carry them up heaps of steps with no offer of help.

The rooms were clean and the bed WAS comfortable. I only wish I had space to move around it.

Another thing that turns me off this place is the negative comments management write under comments on trip advisor. Very unprofessional!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 656melaniep
EconomyHotelTallinn, Front Office Manager at Economy Hotell, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear Melanie P!

Thank you for your staying and review!
We really appreciate reviews like this- thank you for your time.
Our hotel has 40 different sized rooms. The thing is that when the hotel is full (like it was when you were here) then somebody have stay in smaller rooms also. Just want to say that if there is any plans to come to our hotel again, then just write us that you would like to have bigger room.
WiFi is free for everybody. The best working place for it is lobby area. If we get better and more expensive internet, then in some point guests have to also pay for it.
I will forward your comments about one of our staff and hope everybody will be friendly again.
Our hotel was built in the late 19th century. It is an old building, unfortunately we can´t built elevator in the house. i am sorry that no one didn´t offered help with your suitcases. 70% of our staff are ladies and it is heavy also for us. Hope you understand.
The thing about negative comments under reviews- can you send me some examples? In these comments we really try to show our gratitude and if nececcary explanations.

Looking forward to hear from you in the future!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

The hotel itself was basic but fine. Our room on the second floor felt as if it were accessed via a fire escape but it had a nice view and was warm. the room didn't have a kettle or tea/coffee making facilities.

Sadly, on our return journey to the airport the hotel receptionist booked us a disreputable taxi driver who charged us 22 euros to get to the airport, compared to 8 euros on the way to the airport at the same time of day. After an argument on the airport forecourt we eventually agreed to pay 15 euros but I know this is double what the journey should have been. I know dodgy taxi companies operate in Estonia but I didn't think hotels would book them for guests. I'm afraid this impression will stay with me for this hotel. Very disappointing.

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Amy G
Dear Amy G!

Thank you for your staying and review!

We are glad to read that you found our rooms warm and saw a nice views from there.
Our rooms don´t have facilities for making coffee or tea, but you can have those from reception 24/7.
I am really sorry to read about your taxi experiences in Tallinn booked by us. Most of the time we choose from two taxi companies and we can always trust them. I don´t know what happened that time. I really hope it didn´t ruin your trip in Tallinn and in our hotel.

Looking forward to welcome you back in our hotel!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013

A basic room, quite large, clean, bed comfortable. En suite fine but beginning to show wear. I didn't book for breakfast but looked in one morning and was glad I hadn't - looked a bit sparse. Easy access to Old Town - just walk in front of station. Good for trams and buses. [Travel card alone is much better value than Tallinn card if you're not planning on a of of museums.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Tranbylad
Dear Tranbylad!

Thank you for your booking and review!
We are happy to read that you found our rooms clean and bed comfortable.
I am going to forward your comments about breakfast to restaurant- I am sure they value all reviews.

We are looking forward to welcome you back in our hotel!

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I recently stayed here, during my second visit to Tallinn. I needed somewhere cheap, but comfortable, and also reasonably central. All three boxes were ticked.

It's a few minutes walk from the hotel to the centre of old town. A bit further to the newer town, but we'd no reason to go that far. 10 minutes in a cab to and from the airport, and the taxis were between 8 and 10 euro per journey.

The hotel itself is slightly bigger than I expected it to be. Though having said that, the two rooms me and a friend occupied were very small. Single rooms, big enough for one person each. Old style television on the wall, with one English speaking channel (MTV unfortunately).
There was plenty of hot water, and the room and ensuite bathroom were perfectly clean.
The bed was soft, but comfortable.
I had a view out to the front of the hotel, overlooking the tram station. The noise of the trams might bother some people, but I didn't find it intrusive at all. I always carry earplugs when travelling, but I didn't need to use them here.

You can access free WiFi in the lobby, and there is a PC you can use if you need to. I'm deducting one star for the lack of WiFi in the hotel rooms. If you have a room closer to the lobby, you still might be able to connect though.

I'd have no problem staying here again, if money was tight. If money wasn't tight, I'd probably upgrade to a slightly bigger more contemporary hotel with a bar and bigger rooms etc.. But for the price I paid, I was more than happy.

Room Tip: No tram station on the back or side of the hotel.