“Horrible and Dangerous!”
Review of Olevi Residents

Olevi Residents
Ranked #63 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Reviewed 23 May 2013

This was my second visit to Tallinn so the Olevi was selected on the basis of its location (which is excellent for the old town centre). We were a group of 9 Gents on a weekend away from the wives so a central location was a must. The Olevi was however a complete disappointment on almost all fronts.

We had booked rooms described as "Simple, with wooden ceiling". They certainly were that - picture a narrow room with wooden floorboards (the wooden ceiling was in fact the floor) two narrow single beds pushed up against each wall and a gap between them of around 2 feet! The window turned out to be barred, but the window itself was not secure leaving a draft to blow through in the night. There was no wardrobe - clothes storage options consisted of 2 coat hangers left on hooks on the wall. In fairness the bathroom contained a reasonably large wet room area.

The room itself was buried deep in the bowels of the hotel - I counted 50 stair steps down from reception along dark, musty smelling corridors and winding staircases. Do not even consider this hotel if you have any mobility issues - you will never make it back from your room to reception!

I complained to reception about my room (as did most of our party, and also several other sets of guests that I overheard during our stay) and said "It feels like a prison cell" - to which the receptionist answered that it was - apparently the building had been a women's prison and we were in the old cells. A couple of the lads had rooms on upper floors and these were much larger than the "Simple" rooms but apparently just as uncomfortable.

Now to the dangerous bit. Next to my room (103) was a fire escape. I usually check out the escape options and the door led into a garage area where another door led to a courtyard - fine I thought. But given the rambling nature of the building we all took to checking the fire exit each time we came in. On every evening it had been locked, and the key removed from the usual red box next to the door. It was with the greatest reluctance that reception replaced the key in the box each time we complained - make sure they do it. This is not a western european gone health & safety mad - that building would be a death trap in the event of a fire and all would perish on that floor if that exit was locked - there was no other exit and remember the windows are barred.

Having taken my laptop with me I did not feel the room was safe enough to leave it in so I deposited it in the hotel safe. All room keys are left on a shelf that is easily accessible in reception by the public and the desk was often unmanned - I helped myself to my key on several occasions. Anyone can walk in off the street and help themselves to a room key. And unfortunately the safe key isn't well hidden either (although my laptop was fine, they never gave me a receipt for it or even noted what room it belonged to)!

Apart from the location, the only other saving grace of the hotel is breakfast which was a comprehensive spread of tasty food. At £75 a night this place is terribly overpriced - had we paid say £35 I think we would have been less unhappy (although the safety issues would still have been worrying). But it's not worth more than that. Avoid at all costs!

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms described as "Simple with a wooden ceiling" - you will regret it if you en...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank MiltonKeynesTimbo
There are newer reviews for Olevi Residents

Reviewed 27 April 2013

What a night. Our room (no. 18, difficult to find as it was mysteriously missing from all direction signs) had no windows, and the heating could not be completely turned off. The result: unbearably high temperature and constant noise. Most ironic fact: the room also had a private sauna (I dare anybody to use it in such a hot room). Oh, and the room's main door is a glass panel one – with a curtain, but still, not the best for privacy.

Pros: excellent location within the old town, decent breakfast, affordable price.
Cons: do I need to state them again? Just go elsewhere if you wish to sleep.

Room Tip: I don't know if other rooms also have the windows/heating issue, but I suspect this might be the...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank fudo81
Reviewed 10 December 2012

When we came to hotel, we were told the hotel is overbooked. We were send by foot to another hotel, which was in the same group. Room was like closet with two beds and no window. There was no air-condition and in the night I had a feeling, that there is not enough air to breath. Next morning we were send back to Olevi residens. There we had quite big room, but no window. Staff were not friendly, no smile, no "I'm sorry". I won't ever go back!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SusannaAnneli
Reviewed 5 August 2012

We were very disappointed in this hotel. True the location is great but the room was tiny and the beds were tiny and there was nowhere to put your clothes. I really objected to staying in a room woth no window so the gave us one with a window. it was dark and so small we couldnt both stand between the beds. the staff were not friendly. breakfast was fine.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank leni43
Reviewed 15 July 2012

When we booked we did not know the rooms were underground. Described as 'cosy', it was anything but. The beds were clean but very narrow, and only about 2 foot between them. It was dowdy and had bars at the window. The window would not close, but this was not a bad thing as there was no air con. The noise from the street was unbearable, it was like a building site. The rooms were divided by stud walls and you could hear the people next to us. When they slammed their room door my bed shook. The television was 'snowy' on all channels and was unwatchable, not that you could have stayed in and relaxed in, what I can only describe as a cell. It was difficult to reach the room for two 'mature ladies' down a spiral staircase and through a maze of corridors, with no fire escape.The pictures on the web site paint a very different picture. The only saving grace was the shower room which was excellent.

Room Tip: Make sure you know what floor you are on.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank janice v
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Really enjoyed our stay here - great location and very handy for exploring the old city.
The street level entrance proved to be a couple of storeys above the bedrooms (due to the undulations of the street) and the only way down is the spiral staircase - not too good if you're infirm or can't manage your luggage. (No Lift)
Having said that, the rooms were clean and comfortable, Breakfast was very good and the Restaurant was superb, in fact even though we like to vary our eating, we ended up eating there every night.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 July 2012

its located in the old town and its in a old charming building with nice cozy rooms which are mostly located in the basement. Staff is friendly and polite and breakfast is decent. Over all its a good value for money. Bathrooms are small and shower cubicle is a bit tight.

Room Tip: there is a narrow staircase leading down to all the rooms in the basement, try and get a room on the...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo