“Slightly below standard”

Ranked #70 of 82 Hotels in Tallinn
Olomouc, Czech Republic
“Slightly below standard”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I generally don´t mind to stay in budget hotels. I know what I can get, and I certainly don´t complain for lack of Jacuzzi or cable tv in 30 Euros per night places. However, I found Hotell G9 in Tallinn below standard even for this category. The furniture in the rooms was old without the charm, I would rather say "decaying". Worrying stains were visible on chairs and mattresses. The room was not cleaned within the stay. When I arrived, the conditions could be called as "acceptable", nothing more. Paper-thin walls made necessary the use of ear plugs for the night, due to the noise coming from neighbouring rooms (in the form of normal conversation, nothing crazy), corridor and the road, where a tram goes by. Not a terrible place overall but worse than I expected from reading the reviews here. A plus is the location, just out of the centre, which can be easily reached by foot (5 minutes to Vana gate) and close to the ferries port too (10-15 minutes by foot). Tallinn is a jem anyway, definitely worth the trip!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank lamusi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Tallinn
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Our stay in Hotell G9 was pleasant. Very friendly staff and good service. Nice situated near the centre. The room was basic but everything that we needed was there.I recommend this place to my friends.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Turku, Finland
Reviewed 19 January 2013

I came to stay in this hotel when I was visiting my estonian-russian friend in Tallinn. I was pleased with service in all languages: english, estonian and russian. We got all we needed: plates, forks, knives and spoons, everything was available in reception to eat our own meal. The walls were like paper, but we had all the russian and estonian channels on tv to enjoy. Breakfast was ok. It was really an authentic and affordable stay in Tallinn, and I liked It very much. I would recommend it to all my friends really!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Karaleva83
Narva, Estonia
Reviewed 20 December 2012

It is located on the third floor, no elevator. If you travel with the luggage, you have to carry it all way up up to the third floor. Room service is somewhat next to non-existant. I arrived in December, late at night, and for my personal delight discovered, that cleaning-lady had left the window opened for.. i assume not less than 12 hours, bonus effect was snowfall and -7 C outside. The room was not warm even in the morning. It was impossible to take shower as the bathroom was freezing... perhaps it was some extreame new health program, which the hotel was pilot-projecting on the guests. Still, I did not dare to take advantage of improving my defrost-skills at the shower.

As soon, as the window was closed, the reason for open window become obvious: this was definitely not a non-smoker room.
The sheets in my bed had already had some previous visitor... so I asked for new sheets, which I was kindly given, and respectedly left alone to change all the bedding on my own.

In the morning the breakfast (asked and payed extra) was served to room. It contained precisely 1 cup of tea (I asked for tea), 1 small glass of juice (apple or orange), 1 small yoghurt (i cannot eat dairy products), and 2 slices of untoasted white bread with 2 slices sausage, 1 leaf salad and 1 slice cheese between two breads. That was all.

If you like extreme situations, this accommodation is just, what you are looking for!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank L_T2701

Travellers are raving about these Tallinn hotels

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2012

I really liked this place, although when we arrived late on a cold and wet November evening I was a little sceptical to begin with as it doesn't look great from the outside!
The staff are absolutely lovely- Very prompt at answering e-mails and incredibly helpful and friendly when you meet them. The room was simple but very clean and well maintained. We got to sneak a peak at some of the other rooms and I think ours was one of the smallest, but it still did the job.
There is no dining room, so if you are staying B&B you have breakfast delivered to your room in the morning (at a time you request). Breakfast is yoghurt, a sandwich, fruit juice and tea or coffee.
The en-suite bathroom was more of a wet room rather than having a self contained shower, but it was big enough for that not to be too much of an issue and the shower was fantastically hot and powerful.
Fantastic value, great location and lovely staff!

There's no lift, so make sure you can carry your bag up a few flights of stairs. Also, unlike in the UK where the 1st floor is up one flight of steps, in Estonia (and many other countries) the first floor is what we would call the ground floor so although G9 is on the third floor, it's actually only up 2 flights!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Finland
Reviewed 21 October 2012

We stayed there for a night, me , my girlfriend , my cousin and my dog in a triple room.
It was few choices that we had with a dog and at least it was a good one.
It is very close to the center , behind viru keskus.
A simple hotel with good safety and reception almost kind :p (didnt really care).
we found good price for the room only 49e so it was the cheapest we could find.
Quite clean, beds very simple but we were aiming for budget accommodation so no prob!
I would stay there again maybe next time since i had a cheap and good stay.

Room Tip: Cheap-clean-central
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 September 2012

G9 is a small 2 star hotel in the center of Tallinn. I would say that the standard of this hotel compares to a private double room in a hostel. All doors are opened with a card or in the reception through the intercom so it feels quite safe.

Our double room was big with two separated beds and a small bathroom. They cleaned our room every day. The hotel offers free WiFi but it's very slow.

The hotel is very close to Old Tallinn, it 's a 4 minute walk.

The airport shuttle stops on a parallell street so it's really comfortable.

Pros: Big rooms, rooms are cleaned often, towels are also changed, central, free WiFi
Cons: No elevator (three stairs), the stairway smells really bad, the reception, the corridor and the rooms smell of (cigarette) smoke, rooms are not soundproof

So, considering the low price I can recommend this hotel for anyone who wants a clean, central and safe place to stay. If you are used to, or want a higher standard you should keep looking.

Room Tip: If possible, choose a room far from the reception to avoid noise.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple