“Reception is not 24 hours”
Review of OldHouse Hostel

OldHouse Hostel
Ranked #2 of 42 Tallinn B&B and Inns
“Reception is not 24 hours”
Reviewed 19 October 2012

The hostel is OK but you have to keep it in mind that reception is not 24 or 27 hours continually.
When I came back to the hostel to get my baggage before heading for bus terminal, there was no person in the hostel and I have waited outside about 25 mins to get my baggage. Eventually I couldn NOT make it to the bus terminal so I had to buy another bus ticket, I had to pay double... because I had no idea the door would be closed so I could not change time or anything. and I had to wait for another bus later the evening so I had to wait more and will arrive in Riga very late... The bus ticket fee would not be refundable, nor the hostel will pay for me.
I trusted the hotel, or reception was 24 hours. If the receptioinist may go out for some time, I hope they would not say out loud about 24 hours reception service so that I could let them know when I would arrive to take my baggage.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Hiroko523

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Fayetteville, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 September 2012

My husband and I stayed here for three nights in July as part of a big trip we did while we were living in Germany. The people at the reception were friendly and the reception area was very nice. We thought that our room was in this particular building (we had seen it on Ghost Hunters International), and I was very excited...until we were walked back down a street we had already gone on and to this big gate in the wall. She opened all the doors (two to get into the apartment, and one through the big gate) and took us in to where we were staying. It was nice and big and I liked the layout, which included a kitchen that had everything you needed if you wanted to make lunch and dinner for yourself. The bed was comfortable, as well as the furniture. We thoroughly enjoyed the location of the apartment because we were a short walk from everything and the area we were in was not noisy.

That's about it for the good stuff. The room was very old, and the shower was kind of moldy. The whole apartment smelled musty, and when we got home we had to wash everything we had brought with us in our luggage because the smell of the apartment seeped into it. The gate actually never locked, and I had a lot of problems opening the doors. My husband, however, did not. The courtyard you walk through to get to the apartment is old and kind of creepy, so I didn't feel comfortable while outside of the room and in that area. We liked the fact it was cheap after the prices we were paying at other hotels we had stayed at on our trip, but we were very disappointed because we were expecting a place that was romantic and looked like the pictures on their website. If you are looking for a romantic spot, it is not in their apartments, that's for sure.

Overall, the place where we laid our heads down at night was okay. We enjoyed the city and Tallinn has become one of our favorite European cities we have been to. Stay here if you don't really care much about the room itself and its not a part of the destination if that makes sense. Even though I can't rate this hotel as among the best out there, I can definitely say that about Tallinn.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the main building. Maybe those rooms are better because we would have liked to stay...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dms200912
Rzeszow, Poland
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I sayed there in mid August for 2 nights, the room no. 3 on the ground floor was tiny, with two low beds, with narrow passage between, small table, chair and a stand, no wardrobe or anything like whatsoever, the windows were looking directly to the street, so opening it without people peeping in - impossible. Kitchen was clean and ok. there were two toilets with showers for 6 rooms. Nice and helpfull staff.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Moniss
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2012

Sweet little hostel, possibly sacharin tinged in stylings but actually very in keeping with Tallinn as a slightly over the top snapshot of old-school quaint. Not overly expensive, awesome staff, great location and generally just good times!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank tom g
Reviewed 12 July 2012 via mobile

This is a business that has rooms in lots of different buildings. So the one where i stayed was a sweet little place, however the room I stayed in (although super cheap for a single!) had no proper curtains, so if you weren't careful people from the street could see in, plus at the height of summer the room was very light the whole night. Only one bathroom for the whole building meant invariable queues for toilet and shower. All in all, great location but maybe just for one night? And leave yourself plenty of time to shower!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Ng7181
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I visited Talinn several years ago, as a cruise ship stop. More recently, I only toured this hotel virtually, having seen it on TV, if this the same hotel investigated by the U.S. TV show Ghosthunters in "The Devil's Wedding" episode.

According to legend, the Devil was married in Apartment 6 of The Old House, where unsettling sounds and sights have been reported. Reassuringly, the paranormal investigators found most of the sounds had normal explanations. See http://www.syfy.com/ghosthuntersinternational/episodes/season/s02/episode/e217/the_devil_s_wedding

If you spook easily, though, you might not want to book Apartment 6 just in case. If you've always wanted to stay in a supposedly haunted hotel, any noises you hear through the walls might interest rather than bother you.

Stayed March 2012, travelled with family