“great stuff”

Cuisines: French
Oran, Algeria
“great stuff”
Reviewed 27 April 2013

I would just like to say that the food here is wonderful ,

I went last nite for dinner and had a great meal and the chef was very helpful

one of the best places in old town

• Visited April 2013

Tallinn, Estonia
“There is only 1 place worse than this”
Reviewed 19 April 2013

So, I'll be the first one to rate the place. Even more - I was the one contacting Tripadvisor and asking the guys to add this so-called restaurant to the list.
I eat in restaurants 5 times a week at least. Mainly it's lunches during my working hours, but I've been to so many places that I lost count a long time ago. The fact that the new place appeared made me happy - especially once I read their "delicious food" promises. Don't know why, but I believed in them and a few days after I was there.
So, the interior...not really special and seating is kind of uncomfortable. Staff? Well, nothing special too - not smiling at all. And now we are getting to the main and most important component of any restaurant - food. This is something I would like to never eat again. Let me describe those meals we tried (straight from the menu):
Charcroute plate (for one or for sharing) - I would like to rename it to "Sausage plate (for one on a diet)". First of all, it has nothing to do with the corresponding image - you'll get a much cheaper meat plate (chorizo was the most "exclusive" piece of it) containing a few slices of sausages. Less than 10 small ones I believe. This costs 10 EUR by the way. That starter is microscopic.
Confit of duck leg - "confit" can't be warmed up in a microwave if you ask me. And it can't be dry. But that's nothing compared to what it goes with - smoked sausages, beans and other components you can't imagine next to a duck". This meal is so heavy (glad there were no mushrooms to kill us completely) and so awful that I kind of started thinking about going to the bathroom. I don't think smoked sausages and duck can be friends - it's like eating ice-cream with crispy bacon pieces in it. Fusion? Don't think so.
Rib eye steak - best dish out there. Pure 5 stars...out of 10. Again, its picture and end results are completely different.
Crêpe Suzette - a desert which is "special" according to them. Well, it's just a pancake. As "special" as vanilla ice cream is. 7.50 EUR is kind of expensive for something so cheap.
All in all I still remember the place. These memories are full of horrible images of warmed up ducks, wrapped into pancakes with some cucumbers and strawberries on top glazed in barbecue sauce with a slight touch of green peas and chocolate. That's the kind of dish I won't be surprised to see in Absint's menu. Why 2 points out of 1? Believe it or not - there is one place I know which is even worse.

• Visited March 2013