“Great location, but...”

Rixwell Old Town Hotel
Ranked #45 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Great location for seeing the Old Town but the hotel is average at best. We asked for the "Superior Belle Vita" rooms. They were small. We had to stack the bags on top of the closet to get them out of the way. Nothing fancy or superior about the rooms that we could see. The staff was pleasant but not well trained or managed. One of the girls behind the desk continued on a personal call on her cell phone while she sold us stamps. Also had some trouble getting ice from the desk staff. Both rooms had the smell of sewer gas in the bathroom. We overheard another guest complaining of the same smell in her room. Not sure what that is about.

One of the perks of staying at the Meriton Old Town is being able to use the spa facilities at the Meriton Grand Hotel. It is worth the walk to use the spa. They have four different saunas, several pools and fully equipped gym. Very nice facility that is well maintained and a great way to relax.

The breakfast is also quite average. More like what you would expect in an American hotel. Not much to get excited about. Parts of the building and the restaurant are built on historic city walls. In that way the hotel has its charm and fits into the historic city. If you are looking for creature comforts and a well managed establishment you should keep looking. If you want historic, a great location and don't mind small rooms at a very reasonable price, this might be the place.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 August 2011

We left with a disappointing perception of this Hotel.

Its quite a sweet hotel, and is very convenient for accessing the delights of the Old town, but we had such a tiny and noisy room, a rather stony faced welcome, plus a rather unpleasant experience when leaving.

Word of advice double check any advice you seek from the staff, we were advised to catch a bus to our next destination from a station almost two hours drive way!!! NOT the local bus station (very odd). So the error cost us €60+ and delayed us by two hours. The Hotel has not responded to our complaint.

The rest of the stay was nice,Tallinn Old town is lovely, and the sister Business Hotel were at our disposal to use it was beautiful.

We wouldn't stay here again after our experience.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brigita-Alice
MihailBurohh, General Manager at Rixwell Old Town Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2011

Dear Guest,

thank you for staying in the Meriton Old Town Hotel and i apologies for the misunderstanding with the bus station situation. In fact the receptionist brought your letter to my attention yesterday and as far as i know she replied to you personally as well. I find it very hard to believe that a receptionist would recommend you to take a bus to Riga (i believe that's wher were you were going) from Pärnu. My understanding is that mentioned that the bus going through Pärnu (direction Pärnu) is the correct bus to take to get to Riga. I really do believe that it might have been a linguistic issue and trust noone from ouor staff would ever make such a recomendation for the inconvinience of the client.

I once again apologize on behalf of my staff just for the fact there was some sort of misunderstanding.

Kind Regards and i do hope to see you again in the future

Mihail Burõhh

Reviewed 29 July 2011

If you value location as I do when you travel then this hotel is a winner. We stayed two nights, got there early on boat from Stockholm and even thou our room was not ready we did get to leave our belongings . We had booked their least expensive room so it was in the back facing a busy street. (This hotel is right on the wall by Fat Margaret's Gate, one of the principal entrances to the walled Old town). It was hot so we had to open the windows and it can get a little noisy, if you are a light sleeper I would recommend you book a premium room which face the front and since The Old Town is mostly pedestrian it is very quiet. The room was average size for european standards and clean, no frills but we were not expecting any either. It is an easy walk to the pier and of course you can walk everywhere in the Old Town. Tallin is a beautifully preserved medieval town, full of nice shops, restaurants, cafes and little surprises at every corner, I would say my kind of town. Prices were lower than in other Baltic cities we visited in this trip, but were not rock bottom prices either. We had good weather, very confortable, it only rained late one night as we made our way from dinner to our hotel. The hotel breakfast was a very nice buffet and the hotel had free wi-fi and the use of one computer in the lobby. The hotel staff was very nice. The hotel does not have safes in the rooms but you can leave your valuables in the safe at the front desk.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Booked this direct and got senior reduction so only 45 euros a night for twin room and breakfast which was excellent value. Rooms a little on small side but perfectly adequate for a short stay and have all you need. We were on road side on 1st floor but were not disturbed by raod noise.. En suite again compact and it would be difficult to wash your hair in the sink if you like to do that as opposed to the shower which was fine. Breakfast was as you would expect from this standard of hotel - usual hot & cold but not a lot of choice. Reception staff very helpful and spoke good English. Location excellent as in quieter part of old town, but only a few minutes wlak to centre, yet convvenient for public transport - trams 2 minutes walk away. Would stay there again and recommend it with slight reservation re size of rooms for those people who like their space.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 July 2011

There are lots of negative reviews of this hotel on this site but my boyfriend and I found it to be comfortable, very clean and quiet. The staff were always incredibly friendly and obliging and the included breakfast was more than satisfactory. You have to know what to expect from this hotel though - don't go wanting all the rooms to be standard rooms with standard facilities! Our room was in the basement (though with windows bringing in plenty of natural light) and the original city wall ran through the bedroom. We thought this was great and authentic but if you're looking for a standard hotel room then just book into the Ibis! We found it warm (which you need in Tallinn) and cosy.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2011

I was advised the day before my reservation that the hotel was overbooked and unable to accommodate me. My reservation had been made some days earlier and I have a Booking confirmation. I note on websites that the hotel has taken bookings in the last few hours and that others have had similar experiences. I have been offered an alternative room in an inconvenient location.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 July 2011

I have just returned from a 4 night stay at this hotel and would like to give it 4 out of 5 but a couple of small things mean it gets a 3.

Firstly, the hotel is in a great spot, right on the northern egde of the Old Town and is in a quiet area, although only 10 minutes from the main sqaure, on foot. The 2 ladies I dealt with on reception were polite, helpful and spoke good English (as many Estonians do.)

The rooms are small but with a good, clean bathroom, TV (only 1 English languare channel) and a mini bar. The rooms are clean but my room was not cleaned on the first day, which was disappointing.

The breakfast was OK but the scambled eggs were like polystyrene and I thought the bread was starting to go a bit stale.

Overall, a pleaseant stay and whilst I would not discourage anyone from choosing tghis hotel, if I do go back to Tallin, which I hope to do, I will probably look for another hotel

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo