“Not bad for the money”

Ranked #34 of 83 Hotels in Tallinn
Riga, Latvia
“Not bad for the money”
Reviewed 29 March 2011

I tried the Tallink for a change after being unhappy with the decline at the former Reval chain (were I used to stay for Tallinn business trips) following their takeover by Radisson.
It's a similar formula here - straightforward, clean rooms at a good price with excellent free wifi throughout the hotel.
Check-in and check-out staff were efficient and the breakfast buffet is not bad.
Just a couple of minor gripes: I personally don't like permanent air conditioning, particularly when the temperature is already around freezing. As well as being uncomfortable it strikes me as a total waste of money and energy in winter and does a lot more environmental damage than the infamous cleaning of your towels.
The Tallink's aircon system is oppressive. I realise lots of people love aircon but it made me wake up with a bunged up nose and sore throat - adjusting the controls in the room seemed to make little difference and sadly the windows are sealed shut so there is no escape.
The other problem was with soundproofing between the rooms. External noise was no problem, but a gap around the radiators meant I could hear everything being said/shouted by the Finnish teenager in the next room during her interminable Skype conversations with her boyfriend. I was thankful I don't speak Finnish otherwise I am sure I would have been force to endure the full details of their no doubt delightful relationship. I was staying in a standard room so it might be worth considering one of the more expensive options next time.
Having said that, location is good particularly if you are in Tallinn for business rather than pleasure. Best of all the excellent Tallink wifi bus stops directly outside the hotel so you can hop aboard and be in Tartu or Riga very quickly, cheaply and comfortably.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
haarlemmermeer
Reviewed 25 March 2011

After reading some of the reviews here I was ready to get upset with colleagues that had selected this hotel but of course I had to give this place a chance first.

The hotel is a, to my mind rather ugly, new building across the road from the Viru shopping centre and a 5 minute walk from the edge of the old city. There is a bus stop in front of the hotel, a bus station under the Viru shopping centre and a taxi stand in front of the hotel. Taxi from the airport takes 10-15 minutes and will set you back about 7 euros.

I found the service everywhere from check in to check out very good. Check-in was one of the fastest I'd ever experienced. Rooms are indeed small, parisian dimensions almost but spotless! Bathroom is more practical than is common in many hotels including a decent height shower. TV is still an old-fashioned tube with a mostly regional selection of channels. Fortunately estonians subtitle imported shows.
I had an excellent Wifi signal in the room on the 8th floor and that service was free too.

The rooms also come with a problem. Due to the construction they easily heat up when they catch sun. In my standard room the airco does work and work well but it's connected via the key-card operated master switch in the room. Eco friendly but it does mean a very warm room when you get back after a day. 2 colleagues in my group were upgraded to junior suites with had serious issues with their more advanced model airco unites, 33 degrees C was not at all uncommon.
The ventilation issue combined with the relatively small duvets and insanely thick and very synthetic pillows made that I did not get the best sleep. On the other hand, sound isolation was excellent, unlike many other hotels no outside sounds disturbed me in my room.

Contrary to other reports here I have not had any tobacco smell issues. The hotel offers both smoking and non smoking rooms. I did notice in some of the public spaces of the hotel and in our offce that some sort of cleaning product is used there which can appear very musty to the western, pine-fresh trained sense of smell.

Breakfast was the normal international buffet fare and some local specialities like pickled herring and various local pastries.Bar was good, quick and very reasonably priced. Could do without the piano player though.

To catch my flight I had to leave insanely early. Inquired the night before about that, was told that checking out would not be a problem and that there were always taxis in front of the hotel, day or night. At 0-dark hunderd the night clerk was glad to have something to do and after waking up a taxi driver I was at the airport in 10 minutes.

All in all not a bad place to stay. If they can sort out the ventilation problem and stock a few different pillows this place has potential especially for the rate we'd negotiated for our visit.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2011

Note: this is an edited version of a review I deleted, stay was Aug '09, original review was posted early '10.

This hotel was perfectly adequate but didn't offer anything special. The room was a little small for 4* but was in good condition, even if the decor was a little generic. Annoyingly, the 'double' bed was 2 singles pushed together. The bathroom was an OK size but I hate it when they have the wall-mounted soap dispensers rather than proper toiletries. Service was efficient but a little impersonal. Generally, a very average business class hotel in a wonderful city. On the boundary between 3* and 4* standard.

Breakfast was exactly the same fare as was on the Tallink ship we took here from Stockholm, and there was no day-to-day variation, so I grew a little tired of it. The lounge area downstairs was entirely unmemorable and appeared pointlessly large. The location was good, between the port and the city centre, and it was possible to walk pretty much everywhere. A large shopping centre is opposite.

One thing that must be said is that the front of the hotel looks pretty impressive, covered as it is in rippling mirror glass.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lava_tory
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 1 January 2011

The location is really great - and the hotel is situated in the heart of Tallinn.
We have experieneced a very poor service within the reception area and some problems with a room we were offered on the arrival, while staying in the hotel for the New Year's Eve (we've booked a whole package beforehand).
First of all, we wanted a smoking room, and that it would have been located on the "city view" side of the hotel. Instead we were offered a non-smoking room with a view on a "dumpster "(some factory in the yard, with a view on other buildings, which module a square - so you see nothing but houses standing beside and against the hotel "back yard"). My husband insisted on having a smoking room, and what a surprise - they found it (but only on our 3d demand), after having made a long face and telling us very uncertainly, that everything else is tightly booked...
However, we were very pleased, that both of the rooms we were offered that night were very tidy and clean - thanks to the maids i suppose (the only cheerful staff i have seen there during the stay).
The description of the package was very luxurious, and all we have got was a lot of spoiled nerves. I would not recommend this to you for leisure. For business - it's the perfect location. But, while the company's paying for the trip - why not to choose something a lot better?
PS: no floor heating in the bathroom - a disaster! :)

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Tallinn hotels

Hannover, Germany
Reviewed 29 September 2010

Most crappy experience was from their rent company - "quickrent / 123 rent". It wasnt quick, had awful service and they STOLE almost 400 euros from our finnish colleague card - still unreturned...

Went there with our finnish colleagues on 2010 jan. Business went great and Tallin has a nice medieval old town city.
But the hotel experience was kinda awful. Almost all rooms had a smell and very poor ventilation - so sleep was bad. Twice requested to change sheets cause there were some stains on. Personnell was quite rude mostly - non english speaking.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Finland
Reviewed 1 September 2010

The hotel has an exellent location in the city center. A big shopping center is just the opposite of the hotel. Standard rooms are quite small and everything is a little worn out because of the heavy usage. The breakfast room is very busy especially in the week-ends when there is lot of tourists from Finland and Sweden. In working days the large breakfast room is much more comfortable and (almost) without drunken tourists as well.

The old town is also in the walking distance from the hotel and it is definitely worthwhile to visit. As overall everything is very close in Tallinn (=small city).

In the front of the hotel there is a monopoly of Tallink taxes that are normally have 50% higher fares than for example white Tulika taxes that can find in the front of Viru hotel (100 m). Anyway you should avoid old taxi cars (mainly old Mercedes) that are not branded (meaning painted white or black), because they can ask you what so ever fare - especially if you haven't agreed the fare beforehand.

If you have a possibility to pay a little more and if you are travelling in the week-ends (even when taking a hotel package from Tallink), choose something else. Viru is not a good alternative either, but go to the small old town hotels.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Sweden
Reviewed 30 July 2010

We travelled from Stockholm to Tallinn by TallinkSilja boat. We got a package deal including travel and stay. I picked the hotel because it offered free internet and was supposed to be located in the heart of Tallinnk.

Cab drivers had no problems to find the hotel which was just across the streat of a bigger shopping mall (Viru). The boat arrived at 10AM and we got to the hotel at 11AM. We were told check-in was at 3PM which means we had 4 hours to kill. We could leave the baggage free of charge at the hotel which was good. We went out to explore the city. When we came back 2.30PM we tried to check in again. I was told it is not 3PM yet. What? They would refuse to check in just because the clock said it was not time yet. I can understand the cleaners had not finished the entire hotel yet but surely we should be able to check in at finished rooms. I experienced this as very bad service. About hundred travellers were waiting in the lobby just because the receptionists refused to check in despite rooms should be available.

Minus
- Unfriendly check-in process
- When we finally were allowed to check in the receptionists could not separate us from our travel company which was a family with an infant. The infant got registered to our room.
- Our travel company got room on second floor while we got on the 7th. Since we travelled together we should of course have got rooms close to eachother.
-The rooms at 7th floor turned out to lack internet.
- Old tube TV's instead of modern LCD tv's.
- They had some Finnish, Russian, Germans and Estonian channels. But no Swedish ones. Why? The hotel has hundreds of Swedish guests each week, surely they should offer Swedish TV aswell. Also, Discovery channel was dubbed to Estonian instead of subtitled.

Plus:
+ When we complained about the lack of internet I suggested we should be allowed to change room to the second floor where our travel company was located and where internet access was available. Our wish was granted.
+ Breakfast was excellent with all you can wish for - British or continental breakfast.
+ Free internet access (in some floors) and Wifi on ground floor. You can borrow network cable if you didn't bring one.
+ Safe deposit in the rooms.
+ AC in the room and mini bar
+ Excellent bathrooms
+ Excellent wide soft bed

The difference of the rooms on 7th floor and 2nd (except internet) was the flooring. On 7th it was carpet and on 2nd hard floor. Minibar on 7th floor was cold and on 2nd warm. Our travel company's minibar was warm aswell.

The AC in our friend's room broke down so it got too warm in the room. They were upgraded to suit on the 10th floor. The bedroom was similar although the bathroom was slightly more luxurious. The suit also had a big conference room (with internet). Also pay-tv was available free in the suit.

In each rooms there was a questionnaire they wanted us to complete about the service. But no information where to send the questionnaire. Would we leave it in the room? What if the cleaner read it and found out we gave bad rating for the cleaning - would the cleaner throw away the questionnaire then? If we left it at the reception and they saw we gave bad rating at check in would they forward it to the managers? They should have a box where we could drop the questionnaires, if they care about our opinion and if they value custumer service.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple