“Dorm like, but super convenient to ferry”

Tallinn Seaport Hotel
Ranked #38 of 83 Hotels in Tallinn
Seattle, Washington
“Dorm like, but super convenient to ferry”
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

If you are taking a morning ferry, it is perfect. But otherwise few options for food nearby, no ambience, and stuffy room. With early ferry schedule, it would be nice if breakfast started 30 min earlier, we were only able to grab hard boiled egg and roll as they were setting up.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
TallinnHotels, Front Office Manager at Tallinn Seaport Hotel, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Dear Jill,

Thank you for your comment!
I am glad you found our location convenient for you!

Hopefully we will improve for your next time here all-around!

Maiken

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Rovaniemi, Finland
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Basic good hotel at Tallinn harbor across the Tallink D terminal. The facilities are good. Clean room, big bathroom, rather large rooms with table, few beds and the smallest tv's I have ever seen in hotel, but your not in Tallinn to watch tv anyway :)

The main problem however during this summers extremely hot weather was that there was no air cooling system in the rooms. Or not at least one that one could adjust themselves. Because of this the room got really hot! Opening up a window isnt really an option either since it is so hot and its right next to busy harbor terminal.

Breakfast was okayish but after 9 (ends 10) most of the food is on very low or already ended...

Location is rather good as well. You walk right at the the Tallinn center in around 10minutes. Old city is maybe 15mins walk away. Not bad at all. There is also super Alko, Prisma express and shopping center in close proximity of the hotel. Also few restaurants are right next to the hotel

Room Tip: Ask if they have rooms with air cooling system, since at summers the rooms can get really HOT!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Juha-Matti R
TallinnHotels, Front Office Manager at Tallinn Seaport Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Juha-Matti R,

Thank you for your suggestions!
I am sure we can improve on your tips and the future guests can have a better experience thanks to you.

Having you back for next time would be a pleasure, too!
See you then!

With kind regards,
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I booked this hotel for one night following a tour through Scandinavia. The staff were very helpful at my check in, and upgraded me to a larger room on the ground floor (very convenient as I was lugging a large backpack around!)

The room itself was spacious, with a large comfortable bed, lots of room for luggage, and a decent size bathroom that had a nice shower with good water pressure.

The hotel is located directly across from Terminal D, which is where the ferry departs bound for Helsinki. It is a nice 15-20 minute stroll into the Old City, with the walk taking you past a number of areas with various shopping centres (both established shops like H&M, as well as touristy places to buy souvenirs).

Room Tip: Be friendly at check in and ask for an upgrade :) Otherwise, try to request a ground floor room - s...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Dear Tom,

Thank you for your comment!
I am very happy to see that you had a great time at City Hotel Portus.

We would be more than happy to have you back in the future.
Greetings to Australia!

With kind wishes,
Detroit Michigan
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I booked to stay at the City Hotel Portus twice (my first two nights in Tallinn and then, my last 2). I went for a few days to Saaremaa Island in between. I selected this hotel based on the price and also it had received good reviews overall.

The rooms are not bad and breakfast is included in the room rate. It's about a 20 minute walk from near the D terminal to the Old City but this also is ok as I like walking.

My problems really began on the day I checked out of the hotel to go to Saaremaa. I was flying to Saaremaa and needed to take a taxi to the airport. On arrival this had cost me about 7 euros. I asked the hotel to call me a cab which they did. I waited and they told me the cab was outside. I went outside and the cab had arrived. I got in. About half way to the airport I noticed the meter on the cab said 22 euros! I questioned the driver in complete shock. This was his rate. Apparently different companies have quite different rates. Clearly this company "Taxi and Transport" preyed on naive tourists such as myself. But I also wonder why the hotel would use this company? I had trusted the hotel to look out for me as a guest and they had not.

When I returned to the hotel 3 days later I found that even though I had a booking there, they didn't have any room for me. Again imagine the shock of this when you arrive. I asked where I was supposed to go and they indicated the name of another hotel "Hotel Shnelli" which is about 15 minutes away near the train station. I knew nothing about this other hotel and was unhappy that my reservations could just be changed with consulting me.

They did pay for a taxi to take me to the new hotel and I noticed they didn't call the Taxi and Transport company! I asked the hotel clerk to call the new hotel to confirm that I had a reservation there and he didn't want to at first. I had to insist and he begrudgingly phoned. The hotel staff at City Hotel Portus certainly are not looking out for their guests! I would never stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Barbara G
Dear Barbara,

Thank you for your feedback!
All I can say is that I am terribly sorry for your inconveniences during your trip to Tallinn and Saaremaa.

I assure you that this is not our standard of quality and these misunderstandings, although unforgivable, were a series of misfortunate coincidents.

We do take care of our guests' best interests and this is why I am so sorry we did not manage to fulfill your expectations.

My sincerest apologies!
With kind wishes,
Maiken

Travellers are raving about these Tallinn hotels

Rome, Italy
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,332 helpful votes
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The hotel is located just beside Terminal D of Tallink ferries to Helsinki and offers nice and cleaned rooms, with a lot of space for your luggages and belongings. To reach Old town is only a 15 minutes walk and, if you don't love walking, there is a bus (line 2) going to center. Parking slots are enough and for free. If you wish private parking, the fare is 10 euros. Breakfast was ok and staff helpful.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Attvol
TallinnHotels, Front Office Manager at Tallinn Seaport Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear snoopy,

Thank you for your review!
I am very glad to see that City Hotel Portus was a good choice for you.

Hopefully we will see you here again!
Best wishes,
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

My husband and I went to Tallinn to celebrate our Ruby Wedding Anniversary and just wanted somewhere reasonable and this hotel fit the bill. We were very close to the ferry but it was extremely quiet. The hotel was very clean, both bedding and bathroom were spotless. The breakfast was ok, certainly plenty to eat and for what we paid, we thought it was fine. Not too far at night but we could buy a beer from reception which we did. If you want cheap and cheerful with no frills, it's fine

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Linda,

Thank you for your post!
It is very rewarding to see that you found our hotel a nice pick.

Whenever back in Tallinn, come see us again! :)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This hotel is situated across the road from the shipping terminal and is very busy with patronage from the ferries and ships from Denmark etc. Rooms are nice and clean, except the bathroom flooded with extended showering and made it dangerous to walk on.
Convenient location not too far from the old town, and prices were not too bad for what you get.
Breakfast is busy as all hell, with Fins and Danes coming in from the ferries for something to eat, competing with hotel guests. It also seems to be a meeting image for them awaiting embarkation back home. A very vibrant and exciting location.
Otherwise good value for money and I'd stay here again

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Peter,

Thank you for your reply!

I am very happy tos ee that you were pleased with your stay here at Portus!
Hopefully we will meet again during your next visit to Tallinn.

Until then I wish you all the best!