“Presidential suite wows!”

Merchant's House Hotel
Ranked #24 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Nothing that I had read in advance prepared me for the Presidential Suite at the Merchant House Hotel in Tallin. I have never before had hotel accommodation spread over four floors. The member of staff who took us up to the door of the suite gave us the key and turned away saying 'There you are.' The first floor was an entrance area with some far eastern furniture from where a winding staircase took us to the second floor. Here was a large lounge (30 feet x 26 feet) with several settees and a TV off which was the first bedroom, some 14 feet x 14 feet. It is worth giving the dimensions of the rooms. Calling the next room an en suite would do it an injustice. It was a bathroom 14 feet x 13 feet with a freestanding French style bath and a wet room shower area.
From the second floor lounge another winding staircase led up to another lounge 18 feet x 14 feet off which was the second bedroom 24 feet x 18 feet to enter which meant going down a few stairs. Associated with this bedroom was the third floor bathroom 29 feet x 9 feet which as well as having another freestanding French style bath also had two basins each of which could have been used to bathe a small child. From the third floor lounge a stepladder went up to the third bedroom 10 feet x 9 feet which had beds for two youngsters. Elsewhere the hotel had an Ice Bar with a range of cocktails some of which were in glasses made of ice. Beer at €2.50 for 0.5l in 'happy hour' was good. Breakfast was in a dramatic vaulted cellar. The location of the hotel was the most central in Tallinn, yards off the main square. The staff were attentive and enthusiastic.
The suite would readily take six and the three of us bounced around in the space. At €300 per night in August this had to be seen as good value.
Back to the second floor bathroom. Did I forget to mention the sauna? The suite comes with its own sauna to refresh after the day sight seeing.
It doesn't get any better than this.

1  Thank goodchildbirth
hotelstallinn, General Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Dear Mr S.R.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on trip advisor. I am very glad that you all enjoyed your stay in the Merchants House Hotel, Tallinn Estonia.

Yes the presidential suite is a very large 3 bedroom suite and has amazing bathroom(s). Its very popular in Estonian to have sauna and even better if you have your own private one in your suite.

When guests, familys, or two business men, our requesting about price and availability in the Merchants House Hotel. I always suggest the presidential suite. Its perfect for many different type of people and guest(s).

Price of course depends upon time of year/availability, number of people. But I always try to give the best price available for the request dates.

Thank you again.

General Manager - Merchants House Hotel, Tallinn Estonia

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights during a business trip to Estonia. This is a fantastic hotel to stay in for either business or pleasure. The hotel is located in the center of Tallinn old town and is a very short walking central square.
Food was fantastic, probably one of the best steaks I have even eaten. Room was large and good sized bathroom. Bed was comfortable. Warm was very warm considering I stayed in the depths of winter. It was a barmy -20C outside. Service from the staff was excellent and no issue with speaking English
Really recommend staying here should you happen to visit Estonia for either business or pleasure.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
hotelstallinn, General Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Dear Mandy,

Thank You, for taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and all the amenities in the Merchants House Hotel. Most of the guests love the open fireplace in the lounge area during the colder winter periods, I must admit I do....

The hotel will be offering some fantatsic winter packages from january 15th until 31st march 2014. If you would like to come back again at the same time.

please dont hesitate to contact me if you or friends decide to return to Tallinn

GM - Merchants House Hotel

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Stayed here on the 3 day summer package. Got picked up from the ferry in a fabulous new car. The walk down from where the car is allowed to park is literally half a minute. Very friendly welcome at reception.We had a lovely large room on the ground floor. Ok, it was dark, but what do you expect with an old building with an inner courtyard? But where this hotel came into its own was the beds. Extremely comfortable beds with the softest bed linen I've ever slept on! I'd love to know where they get it.
We had dinner in the restaurant, which was just okay. I'd say there are nicer restaurants nearby. Breakfast was adequate, but I'd agree with another reviewer that a pot of coffee per table would be great. Coffee was never hot enough. We got a two little gifts on arrival as part of the summer package, and they allowed us to change one. And as for the location, couldn't beat it, a few doors up from the main square. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
hotelstallinn, General Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor. I read your comments in the weekly meeting which made my team extremely happy.

Tripadvisor is my favourite website to review before travelling as it enables you to see a varied selection of travellers thoughts, feeling and comments.

Due to your comments and as you mentioned another guests comments, I am this week the breakfast waiter in the early morning, so that I can speak to each and every guest while serving them. I will of course be making changes after this.

The hotels will be lauching its new restaurant on the 1st of November 2013, I will be posting the new menu in one months time.

The hotel beds and matressses always recieve great comments. we are also over the winter period making additional further improvements. The new bed linen is amazing.

Could you send me via email your bed size and home address so that I can forward you some bed linen as a thank you from me and my staff.

Kind regards

email: gm@merchantshousehotel.com

p.s. if you do have friends coming to tallinn, please ask them to email me first.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

The location of the hotel is excellent and service from the staff was very, very good. Breakfasts were very good as well. The room that we had reserved was nice with a large bathroom. Unfortunately, the smell of mildew or mold was so strong, we could not stay in that room. the hotel gave us other options, but we ended up with a very small room.

Room Tip: There is wide variety of room types that are available. check them out before unpacking your bags.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
hotelstallinn, General Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Dear Mark and Linda,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Merchants House Hotel.

The issue which you mentioned regarding the smell has been identified in the bathroom and all old pipes and insulation will be changed to avoid it in future. I will additionally be adding two extractor fans in this large bathroom.

To be a top hotel is never easy and guest reviews are always one of the major things which will help us all to improve. I am once again terrible sorry and hope to see you back in future to get a chance to prove ourselves.

I thank you for your kind comments about the hotel. The Merchants House Hotel is changing a large majoriety of its rooms over the winter period to show a new image and look.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Located 30 seconds away from Tallinn's historic town square, the hotel was perfectly located for exploring everything that Tallinn has to offer. The blend of medieval architecture with modern decor was done very well, and our room (a ground level room located in the courtyard of the hotel) was large and comfortable. When we come back to Tallinn, we will definitely be booking a room at the Merchant's House.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
hotelstallinn, General Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Merchants House Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. The Merchants House Hotel is striving to meet guests needs and expectation.

I am also glad that you enjoyed your experience at Rataskaevu 16 restaurant. This is run by friends of mine and I promote and enjoy the food and service experience everytime. It is so good that I am changing the hotel restaurant/image and staff over to something simular. I have employed new chefs whom we are presently creating a simular menu with many vegetarian dishes, and this will open in November of this year.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we look forward to welcoming you or friends back in the future.

Hotel Manager
E-mail: gm@merchantshousehotel.com

Reviewed 25 August 2013

This is not a 4**** hotel; also, a certain number of rooms does not - at all- correspond to the photos shown in the descriptions. I found no evidence of a "charming old building", apart from a partly painted ceiling and the cellar vaults where breakfast is served - and I'm an architect....
The access to my first double bedroom was impossible with a medium sized suitcase, it had to be carried over the bed.... to enable a normal person to enter the room. The AC did not work properly, and there was no manual... Had I opened the window, a person, a cat or a rat... could just have jumped in, the window cill was at the inner court level.... I noted that he small size of rooms is apparently a general problem.
Because staff is very friendly and arranging, I got a new room - because there was some free rooms. Thanks a lot, they really have to cope with many not satisfied clients. The new room was ok, the double bed rather confo, and the bathroom just ok.
There is no access for taxis, you have to carry the luggage for some 50 m, no elevator in the hotel....
The spa area is just filthy and narrow... The manicure lady was quite professional, but she was not adequately equipped (4 different old nail lawyers..), and the room was not comfortable.
I shall certainly not return to this hotel, and do not understand the high ratings at Tripadvisor.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank 187Nillan
hotelstallinn, Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Dear Sir,

I would first like to thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. While it was pleasing to know that you appreciated the efficiency of the check in process and the efforts of the front office department to accommodate you. I was sorry that you did not enjoy your experience whilst in Tallinn.

The Merchants House Hotel is a 14th and 16th century building under UNESCO protection. Due to the size and shape of the buildings each room varies in look, size and shape. Additionally the hotel has never and would never promote that we have a lift.

Elderly person appreciate the hotels courtyard rooms as this gives them a central location within Tallinn and easy access to all facilities.

Due to the central location of the hotel, 20metres from Tallinn old town Square, there is traffic restriction to the front door of the hotel. However taxi can drive to the beginning of Dunkri street which is approx 30metres to the hotels front door. Taxi are allowed access to the front door from early morning until 10am. This traffic restriction is the same in Tallinns Old town like it is also in many other old towns around the world.

The majority (65%) of the rooms have air conditioning in the Merchants House Hotel, which I would like to additionally point out that this is very unusual for Tallinn old town hotels. Both the rooms that you accommodated had air conditioning and I have reviewed them and everything is working well.

I am awaiting to speak to manicure lady about your experience.

Merchants House hotel, Tallinn Estonia

Reviewed 19 August 2013

I only stayed one night but Reception were very friendly and welcoming. Their bar and restaurant are top. The sauna is great. The only off thing in my room was a very noisy extractor that I indicated to staff at checkout and I'm sure it would have been handled had I stayed longer.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
hotelstallinn, General Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your wonderful feedback you have shared following your recent experience with us.

It is truly a pleasure to know that you appreciated the hotel’s facilities and that you found our team to be friendly and welcoming.

The hotel is presently upgrading rooms and bathrooms, where all extractor fans will be replaced

Looking forward to welcoming you back to The Merchants House Hotel.

Regards,