“A Touch of Class”

Ranked #24 of 83 Hotels in Tallinn
Guildford, United Kingdom
“A Touch of Class”
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

Wow, even better than we had been told ! Superb hotel in a perfect location within a stones throw of the old town square (and I can't throw far!).

Our room was a suite and one of the best rooms I have stayed in for quite some time. The hotel is a fascinating mix of old and new and I fail to see how anyone could not be impressed :)

The food is also great , the ice bar a welcome treat and staff are truly superb - friendly and very efficient.

Highly recommend if coming to Tallinn as you won't find much better.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
hotelstallinn, General Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Dear Paul,

Thank you, for taking the time in writing a review on tripadvisor Tallinn Estonia.

Yes, the Merchants House is the most central hotel in Tallinn. I even believe my 10yrs old daugther could throw a stone from the hotel to the old town Sq.

During the winter period the hotels central location is very important to guests visiting Tallinn,
especially when the snow and cold winds arrive.

I am presently everday working with the chefs (in the kitchen) to further improve the breakfast and for the opening of the New restaurant in November. I am glad to hear all the hard work is paying off. FYI, I have also started making my own gluten free bread and this will be added onto the breakfast and dinner menu as a permanent fixture very soon.

Your kind comments regarding the rooms at the Merchants House Hotel, brought a smile to me and my staff faces. thank you again.

If you or friends decide to visit Tallinn again, please dont hesitate to contact me in advance.

Have an enjoyable Christmas

Merchants House Hotel, Tallinn Estonia
email: gm@merchantshousehotel.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Tonsberg, Norway
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Merchants House Hotelwas located in the heart of Tallinn’s Old Town. Well equippet rooms with electric kettles and satellite TV and free Wi-Fi and sauna access.
Situated only 50 metres from Raekoja Plats and Tallinn’s historic Town Hall. St Mary’s Cathedral is within 400 metres
The rooms of the Merchants House either have a modern or historic interior design. Each comes with a work desk, minibar and safety deposit box. Most rooms provide a scenic view of the area.
We had ordered a Junior Suite, but they gave us the Presidental suite in three floors, with three bedrooms and two baths. Exelent room. The hotel is close to everything in Tallin. Perfect location.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
hotelstallinn, General Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Dear Fiin,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor.

I am glad to here that you enjoyed your stay in the Presidential suite at the Merchants House Hotel, and pointing out that the Merchants House is the most central hotel in Tallinns old town...second away from everything.

This is so important to many people and especially with elderly or guest(s) with children during the colder winter months.

I thank you for all your kind comments. I and my team are looking forward to welcome you back to Tallinn.

P.S.
So not to confuse (tripadvisor reviewers) I would like to inform that the picture you posted is from the bathroom of room 105 and not from the presidential suite which has 2 french style baths.

The hotels picture gallery can be reviewed on the merchantshousehotel website.

General Manager - Merchants House Hotel
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed 27 September 2013

We simply loved this hotel - didn't quite have the experience of the Presidential Suite of other reviewers, but still thoroughly enjoyed our 3 night stay in a 'period' bedroom on the 2nd level overlooking the courtyard. A little dark, yes, but in keeping with the age of the building - however all the niceties were provided - slippers, bath robes, lovely bathroom products (although did have to ask for replacements on days 1 & 2). The bathroom was spacious and well lit - a pleasure after staying in so many bathrooms where lighting was abysmal! (However, we did suggest to management - at their request for any specific comments - that they should provide a handrail to step into the high bath & some extra hooks to hang towels). Decor was pleasant; bed/s were very comfortable; TV had access to English speaking channels; fridge and good desk area; well insulated and warm room considering cooler (and rainy) weather. Reception staff were extremely friendly and helpful - umbrellas were available for our use on 2 of the wet days; computer available for guest use as well as free WiFi in the rooms. Iron and board available on request; as is a laundry service. Breakfasts were wonderful, although coffee wasn't always as hot as would have liked. The hotel is located about 10 metres from the Town Hall Square so is extremely well located for any Old City sights or activities, and it is also within easy walking distance to the shopping and sights in the newer City. All in all it was definitely the top of the list of the 19 hotels we have stayed in over the last few weeks!

Room Tip: We were at the back of the courtyard and had no issues with privacy or noise. Not sure how rooms fa...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
hotelstallinn, General Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this review, 29 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review on trip advisor.

Being top of 19 hotels and a highlight during your 2 month travelling around the globe is an amazing comment. Reading these comments makes my week even better. I will highlight your comments in the team meetings. Thank you again.

As I have mentioned in previous management responses, the hotel is presently going through room by room renovations, during the winter period time. the renovations is planned this way so guests staying in the hotel are not disturbed.

Receiving guests comment cards in the hotel and also trip advisor reviews, has helped me modify certain aspects of the renovations. Those being extra hooks in the bathrooms and also fixed handrails into bath.

The new "tea" set-up for breakfast started this week and I will be changing the coffee station next week to ensure coffee temperature is improved.

Thank you for all your kind comments, its pleasing to see all the hard work is being well received.

wishing you the best on your final part of your travels

General Manager - Merchants House Hotel
Lancashire
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Nothing that I had read in advance prepared me for the Presidential Suite at the Merchant House Hotel in Tallin. I have never before had hotel accommodation spread over four floors. The member of staff who took us up to the door of the suite gave us the key and turned away saying 'There you are.' The first floor was an entrance area with some far eastern furniture from where a winding staircase took us to the second floor. Here was a large lounge (30 feet x 26 feet) with several settees and a TV off which was the first bedroom, some 14 feet x 14 feet. It is worth giving the dimensions of the rooms. Calling the next room an en suite would do it an injustice. It was a bathroom 14 feet x 13 feet with a freestanding French style bath and a wet room shower area.
From the second floor lounge another winding staircase led up to another lounge 18 feet x 14 feet off which was the second bedroom 24 feet x 18 feet to enter which meant going down a few stairs. Associated with this bedroom was the third floor bathroom 29 feet x 9 feet which as well as having another freestanding French style bath also had two basins each of which could have been used to bathe a small child. From the third floor lounge a stepladder went up to the third bedroom 10 feet x 9 feet which had beds for two youngsters. Elsewhere the hotel had an Ice Bar with a range of cocktails some of which were in glasses made of ice. Beer at €2.50 for 0.5l in 'happy hour' was good. Breakfast was in a dramatic vaulted cellar. The location of the hotel was the most central in Tallinn, yards off the main square. The staff were attentive and enthusiastic.
The suite would readily take six and the three of us bounced around in the space. At €300 per night in August this had to be seen as good value.
Back to the second floor bathroom. Did I forget to mention the sauna? The suite comes with its own sauna to refresh after the day sight seeing.
It doesn't get any better than this.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank goodchildbirth
hotelstallinn, General Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Dear Mr S.R.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on trip advisor. I am very glad that you all enjoyed your stay in the Merchants House Hotel, Tallinn Estonia.

Yes the presidential suite is a very large 3 bedroom suite and has amazing bathroom(s). Its very popular in Estonian to have sauna and even better if you have your own private one in your suite.

When guests, familys, or two business men, our requesting about price and availability in the Merchants House Hotel. I always suggest the presidential suite. Its perfect for many different type of people and guest(s).

Price of course depends upon time of year/availability, number of people. But I always try to give the best price available for the request dates.

Thank you again.

General Manager - Merchants House Hotel, Tallinn Estonia
Abertillery, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights during a business trip to Estonia. This is a fantastic hotel to stay in for either business or pleasure. The hotel is located in the center of Tallinn old town and is a very short walking central square.
Food was fantastic, probably one of the best steaks I have even eaten. Room was large and good sized bathroom. Bed was comfortable. Warm was very warm considering I stayed in the depths of winter. It was a barmy -20C outside. Service from the staff was excellent and no issue with speaking English
Really recommend staying here should you happen to visit Estonia for either business or pleasure.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
hotelstallinn, General Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Dear Mandy,

Thank You, for taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and all the amenities in the Merchants House Hotel. Most of the guests love the open fireplace in the lounge area during the colder winter periods, I must admit I do....

The hotel will be offering some fantatsic winter packages from january 15th until 31st march 2014. If you would like to come back again at the same time.

please dont hesitate to contact me if you or friends decide to return to Tallinn

GM - Merchants House Hotel
Dublin
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Stayed here on the 3 day summer package. Got picked up from the ferry in a fabulous new car. The walk down from where the car is allowed to park is literally half a minute. Very friendly welcome at reception.We had a lovely large room on the ground floor. Ok, it was dark, but what do you expect with an old building with an inner courtyard? But where this hotel came into its own was the beds. Extremely comfortable beds with the softest bed linen I've ever slept on! I'd love to know where they get it.
We had dinner in the restaurant, which was just okay. I'd say there are nicer restaurants nearby. Breakfast was adequate, but I'd agree with another reviewer that a pot of coffee per table would be great. Coffee was never hot enough. We got a two little gifts on arrival as part of the summer package, and they allowed us to change one. And as for the location, couldn't beat it, a few doors up from the main square. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
hotelstallinn, General Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Good Afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor. I read your comments in the weekly meeting which made my team extremely happy.

Tripadvisor is my favourite website to review before travelling as it enables you to see a varied selection of travellers thoughts, feeling and comments.

Due to your comments and as you mentioned another guests comments, I am this week the breakfast waiter in the early morning, so that I can speak to each and every guest while serving them. I will of course be making changes after this.

The hotels will be lauching its new restaurant on the 1st of November 2013, I will be posting the new menu in one months time.

The hotel beds and matressses always recieve great comments. we are also over the winter period making additional further improvements. The new bed linen is amazing.

Could you send me via email your bed size and home address so that I can forward you some bed linen as a thank you from me and my staff.

Kind regards

email: gm@merchantshousehotel.com

p.s. if you do have friends coming to tallinn, please ask them to email me first.
Hartland, Wisconsin
Reviewed 28 August 2013

The location of the hotel is excellent and service from the staff was very, very good. Breakfasts were very good as well. The room that we had reserved was nice with a large bathroom. Unfortunately, the smell of mildew or mold was so strong, we could not stay in that room. the hotel gave us other options, but we ended up with a very small room.

Room Tip: There is wide variety of room types that are available. check them out before unpacking your bags.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
hotelstallinn, General Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this review, 30 August 2013
Dear Mark and Linda,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Merchants House Hotel.

The issue which you mentioned regarding the smell has been identified in the bathroom and all old pipes and insulation will be changed to avoid it in future. I will additionally be adding two extractor fans in this large bathroom.

To be a top hotel is never easy and guest reviews are always one of the major things which will help us all to improve. I am once again terrible sorry and hope to see you back in future to get a chance to prove ourselves.

I thank you for your kind comments about the hotel. The Merchants House Hotel is changing a large majoriety of its rooms over the winter period to show a new image and look.