“Two wonderful days in Tallinn”

Merchant's House Hotel
Ranked #23 of 83 Hotels in Tallinn
London
“Two wonderful days in Tallinn”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I spent a very fantastic and memorable two day break at The Merchants House Hotel. The staff were wonderful and very helpful in every way...even made a hot toddy for me as I was suffering from a cold!

Location:
Fantastic location right in the heart of the old town with an array of lovely restaurants to sample....simply perfect...I spent a few hours just wondering around exploring the city.

The Room:
The room over looked the a central courtyard as was simply ideal and perfect with an amazing waterfall style shower.

Dining and Drinks:
The breakfast was also delicious...I recommend the Eggs Benedict! There was also a really nice bar in the hotel with a log burring fireplace which provided a nice location to send a few emails and plan what I was going to do with my day. I also had tea and coffee facilities in my room which was really handy.

Throughly recommended and will be my go to place next time I'm in Estonia!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
hotelstallinn, General Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear Luke,

Thank you for taking the time in writing a review on tripadvisor.. I and my team thank you for all your kind comments.

It seems that my famous whisky hot toddies did the trick. When I first met with at check-in, I must admit I was worried, especailly with your cough..

I am glad that your health improved during your time in Tallinn.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to Tallinn

email: gm@merchantshousehotel.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We stayed at the Merchants House on a recommendation, and very glad we did as the location is super. While you could stay in a modern hotel in the new part of town with all mod cons, it wouldn't have the great character and location. Our room was very spacious, with a view onto the street. This may be a problem in high season or at the weekend as a beer hall directly over the street, but as we were there mid week we didn't have any such problems.

We asked for a kettle, which was kindly supplied along with a jug of milk which was very handy. Bathroom a little dark for my liking and maybe in need of an update. Staff very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was very good and taken down in the basement which is very cozy. We tried drinks at the ice bar and drank them by the very nice real fire.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mrs-Moondog
hotelstallinn, General Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Thank you, for taking the time to write a review on tripadvisor.

Please also pass my regards to your friend whom recommended the Merchants House Hotel in Tallinn.

The words you wrote, are very simular to what I advice to most people. You can stay in a modern hotel anywhere around the world. You can move from country to country and the hotel rooms look the same. I also dont like to feel like a room number in a large corporate hotel. That why, when I travel I select hotels that are small and with charactor so its more personnel.

The Merchants House Hotel, has only 3 rooms that overlook dunkri street (beer cellar) and Yes, this can be an issue to some guests in the summer season.

As I have mentioned the hotel is presently updating and renovating rooms, this will certainly be adding more light in the right places.

Again thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff, breakfast and mentioning my favourite place to sit and have a glass of wine or hot mulled wine.. the hotels cosy real fire place.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Just the place for a weekend in Tallinn just off the town square you could not be more central, staff friendly, rooms great with a good breakfast as well. Everyone speaks English so no language problems. I would definitely stay again on my next visit to the gorgeous old city.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Carolwollington
hotelstallinn, General Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear Carol,

Thank you for commenting on the Merchants House Hotel, so quickly after your stay this weekend.

Sorry I was unable to meet guests this weekend but I was hosting the bi-annual board meeting of the hotel.

Please before you or friends decide to travel to Tallinn/Estonia next time contact me directly so that I can help you with organisatng your trip/ accommodation and advising you of the latest and best places to visit at the time of year.

Again, thank you for taking the time in posting a review from this weekend.

My best regards

gm@merchantshousehotel.com
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

very f riendly staff, beautiful room we asked for early breakfast because of our flight,no problem the only thing is difficulty to find parking around. but really recommendation from our side for this hotel in the heart of Tallinn

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Len C
hotelstallinn, General Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear Len,

Thank you, for taking the time to write a review on tripadvisor.

Like so many other guests, the staff helpfulness and breakfast is always highly praised. For your information and future guests, we are additionally adding new items to the breakfast buffet as of next week. The introduction of different black Estonian breads will be increased with some addtional hot items added as well.

Your kind comments regarding the hotel and rooms is very much appreciated. Again I would like to inform guests that the room by room renovation (new update) is happening and major improvements will be taking place.

The Merchants House has a contract with europark / Niguliste church which is around the corner from the hotel. 200metres approx. This is due to the central location of the hotel.

There are additionally other carparks within a few minutes walk from the hotel also. These are all managed by europark.

Again thank you, for taking the time, in writing your review.

Albury, Australia
Reviewed 21 October 2013

The staff were amazing! They were helpful, answered every question and were friendly. One staff member heard that we were travelling with Lindaline ferry and informed us the next day that our return ferry had been cancelled.

The room was great! Quiet and the bed linen was out of this world. The sauna was nice. The hotels location could not be better as it is just off Old Town square. I would recommend this hotel to anyone :)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Emily L
hotelstallinn, General Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear Emily,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on tripadvisor. My front office staff are amazing and they make me so proud everyday.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay in Tallinn and the Merchants House Hotel. I also love sauna`s and am suprized why hotel guests dont use the free large sauna more often. Its so nice in the winter time to have a sauna and relax with a beer.

If you do decide to return or have family or friends visiting, please dont hesitate to contact me directly.

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 18 October 2013

The hotel has an excellent location, very close to the main square. The staff are so friendly and helpful and the room was huge. We decided to go for 2 double rooms as the price online was very similar to the single room price. Sleep quality does depend on the a)time of year and b)room position! I've stayed at this hotel 3 times now and I have never been disappointed.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Adularia333
Thank You, for taking the time to write a review on tripadvisor.

As you pointed out the difference in price between single and a double room is very little. Especially during the winter period, sunday - thursday the hotel offers its AMAZING winter special offer.

Its additionally pleasing to see that you have visited the hotel 3 times during your visits to tallinn, Estonia.

Its also suprizing that I dont think we have meet during your visits to the Merchants House Hotel. Please next time you come, lets spare a few minutes to meet and enjoy a glass or wine or your
favourite tipple (drink).

Louth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

From the moment we arrived we have been treated so well by superb staff. Nothing is too much trouble for them. We appreciate our HANSA SUITE. We have our own sauna ...to our surprise and delight. Breakfast was excellent....not peckish till 2 pm! We like all the thought that is going into the hospitality....newspapers,slippers, tea/ coffee tray etc
Wow.......

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
hotelstallinn, General Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Dear Janet and Eileen,

It was a pleasure speaking and enjoying a glass of wine with you.

It was super to here that you enjoyed the hotel breakfast and also Rataskaevu16 and Aed restaurant(s).

Sorry you did not meet Sir Seb Coe while he was here also.

I am glad that you both enjoyed your trip to Tallinn and the Merchants House Hotel. Please dont hesitate to come back to Tallinn at anytime. More and more places are opening each month and I am sure I will have more tips on places to visit, eat and drink.

Hope you had a chance to buy a bottle of Põltsamaa apple or blackcurrent dessert wine at Tallinn duty free. If not send me an emial and I will try and send you a bottle.

Please dont hesitate to contact me directly at anytime upon yours (or friends) returning to tallinn.

Again it was a pleasure speaking with both you and Eileen.