“Incredible Service!”

Ranked #24 of 82 Hotels in Tallinn
Melbourne, Australia
“Incredible Service!”
Reviewed 24 April 2009

I checked into the Merchant's House for 7 nights on a business trip in April 2009, I was expecting a first class experience and it did not dissapoint! The staff and the General Manager were very friendly and done everything they could to make me feel at home, It is clear that the staff at this Botique hotel are happy to be here and that flow through into the attitudes thy have with the guests, I would stay here again without hesitation and definately will the next time I'm in Tallinn, Don't think twice!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank tools99

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 April 2009

I had a wonderful one night stay here. The hotel is right in the middle of Old Town and just a couple of steps from the town square (Raekoja plats). The staff at the front desk were so friendly, accommodating, and helpful in every way possible. I booked the private sauna and it was pure bliss. What was even better was how much the staff helped me navigate the spa room, personally walking me there, teaching me how to use everything.

My room was comfortable and heated perfectly considering it was freezing outside during my stay. I had a lovely view of the courtyard. The bed was comfy and the room amenities were fine. The items in the mini bar were reasonably priced considering some hotels charge you an arm and a leg for using the mini bar. The shower design was a bit poor allowing water to get everywhere, but there was plenty of hot water.

The breakfast buffet was just okay. That said, there was plenty to eat and the tables were cleared and cleaned immediately, so no waiting.

The only problem I had was finding my room. It's an old building so the passageways can be wonky. In order to reach reception and the breakfast room, I had to walk outside through the courtyard. In beautiful weather this would've been fine. During a blizzard it was a challenge. In fairness, it is a medieval building and that is the charm of the place.

Unfortunately, the day I was to check out, Tallinn was in the middle of a severe blizzard. What stayed with me the most was how much the staff helped me out even hours after I checked out. Some places will kick you to the curb once you check out. Not Merchant's House! They called a cab for me and recommended I sit by the fireplace to warm up while I waited for my ride. A member of the front staff even carried my luggage out for me.

One thing you should know is that the hotel is a few feet past the no car zone of Old Town. Don't worry, the hotel will arrange to bring your luggage in from the taxi. It should be noted that there isn't a lift/elevator, so those with mobility problems might not benefit from staying here.

There is a bar and restaurant but I didn't go there. Computer/Internet access is in the reception area.

Merchant's House a perfect spot and the service was fantastic.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank Gramercy97
Scotland
Reviewed 15 April 2009

From the previous reviews of this hotel I was expecting it to be better than it actually was. I stayed here for 4 nights with my Husband and was not overly impressed. I do agree that the staff were excellent, very helpful and friendly and found the breakfast staff to be the same.

This hotel is decorated to a high standard in the public areas, but I feel that certainly our bedroom let us down (Room 216) overlooking the courtyard. It was the smallest bedroom I have ever stayed in any hotel anywhere I have ever been and was decorated at best ok. The bathroom was practically the same size as the bedroom! The bed was very soft and uncomfortable and took up basically the entire room! I do now wish that as we were there for 4 days I had asked to be moved but I didn't - It made for a very depressing stay. Everytime we had a bath or shower the water went everywhere due to the design of the bathroom and pathetic excuse for a shower curtain, and in some areas around the bath there was horrible brown damp slimey marks due to this - yuch!

Tallinn itself would be ok for a 2 night stay but after that I personally found it very boring and couldn't wait to get home, it is so small and not much to do apart from eat and drink. I would not stay at this hotel again due to our depressing room and uncomfortable bed.

Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 5 April 2009

Wonderful hotel in a great location. March was extremely cold so the private sauna and log fire of the Courtyard Suite was a very welcome luxury. The staff were efficient and friendly. The only negative point was the quality of the breakfast and slow service in the restaurant. Otherwise a lovely hotel and would stay there again. Disappointed we couldn't get spa treatments booked. Recommend you book in advance at the weekends.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Sandbach, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2009

Would highly recommend to others. The location is great for a base to explore Tallinn. The hotel is superb. The service is excellent. The fixtures, fittings and decor of good quality and to contemporary/chic standard - a really nice relaxing environment. Good value for money.

The Ice bar is fine, but don't get excited by the advertising plerb. They have got a little carried away in the description. The restaurant did a good breakfast and would recommend the lunch special if you are nearby at lunchtime.

A true boutique hotel!!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cheshire_Dinky
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2009

We booked the courtyard suite and couldn't have been more happy with our choice!We took advantage of the winter package which was fabulous,this included free transfers to and from the airport,a free 3 course dinner,our own personal guided tour and we also got a special room rate.
Our room was really cosy after being out and about in lovely but cold Tallinn, we even had our own sauna to come back to.The decor throughout was very elegant and the attention to detail was second to none,they even print their own daily paper with news from home and a crossword etc,the staff were all lovely and couldn't do enough for us.
The location was excellent,right in the middle of the old town(definitely the place to be)there's loads of great bars and restaurants around and everybody speaks English.A definite highlight was going to the "wine attic"called "veinipooning"which is on the third floor above a casino and a bar and most people don't know it's there,when we went there was just us and one other couple, a roaring fireplace, some old forties music and a friendly,knowledgeable but unobtrusive owner.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
Kent
Reviewed 3 March 2009

I didn't actually stay at the Merchant's House Hotel, but on my last night in Tallinn I ate in the downstairs restaurant. The meal I enjoyed there was quite simply one of the best I have ever had; it was just a shame there were no other customers there to enjoy the excellent food, as I had the place to myself that night.
On the basis of the superb food, and the other reviews, I would definitely consider staying there the next time I visit Tallinn.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo