“Tallinn's best kept secret!”

Merchant's House Hotel
Ranked #24 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Glasgow Scotland
“Tallinn's best kept secret!”
Reviewed 15 September 2010

Hi, I have been going to Tallinn for many years now and have stayed in every main hotel in the old town.

The Merchant House Hotel is frankly the best of the bunch by quite a long way, it has amazing management for whom "nothing" is a problem, on my last trip I had to get emergency dental treatment and these guys arranged that having a private dentist stay late etc etc.

I really could go on for hours about just how god this hotel is , the staff and management cannot do enough for you.

That's before we mention that the location is 2 seconds off the main town hall square.

If you are going to Tallinn on business or pleasure do yourself a huge favour and stay in this absolute gem of a hotel !!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 7 September 2010

My friend and I travel abroad every year and use trip advisor for all of hotels. This, as usual, ended up being a great suggestion. I agree with previous reviews that the lack of air conditioning can be a problem but we were lucky to be there the first week of cooler weather. If you are planning to stay in July or August, I would definitely make sure you have a room with air conditioning. The walls were a bit thin but the staff was friendly and spoke great English. The breakfast was nice and the rooms clean and comfortable.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Buxton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2010

Three of us stayed for four nights in two rooms. We specifically asked for air conditioning but only one of the two rooms had air conditioning when we arrived, although the rooms were excellent and full of character. The second room we were moved to was not as nice as the first, and the air conditioning was a mobile unit on the window sill. It did work however, although like all such devices rather noisy. Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay in this hotel and would recommend it, especially at the price. Breakfast was nice, and restaurant area is tasteful. Staff were friendly and efficient at the front desk and restaurant. Just a couple of minor things which shouldn't really happen in a hotel of this high overall standard. One of the towels had holes in it (how had that slipped through the quality control net?) And the base sheet on the bed needed an extra wash to remove a stubborn stain, I would say. Minor quibbles, easy to put right and wouldn't influence me, but would put some people off. Advantages of this hotel far outweigh the disadvantages.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank CFC1899
Dublin
Reviewed 31 August 2010

My wife and I were surpised at the negative comments for this hotel. There was unusually hot temperatures in Tallin last month and our toom was spacious and well conditioned. The location of the hotel was excellent, just five minutes from the town square in a pedestrianised street. so was quiet. The staff anwered quieriesl, the nreakfast was tasty and served in pleasant surrondings,
We would come again and are aware that Tallin isn't accustomed to temperatures more fitting the southern Medittereanean.

Finland
Reviewed 22 August 2010

I was surprised to read the negative reviews of this hotel - we were just so positively surprised by everything in the hotel:
- the service on the front desk was prompt, friendly and it alwas came with a smile
- our luggage was carried to the room, which I wouldn't expect in a hotel of this price category
- the room was amazing! We booked an ordinary room, but what we got (with only 120 euros!) was a huge room with sofa group, great furnishings and a luxurious bath tub.
- breakfast was really nice, even though some of the items started to run out around nine o'clock. Very good selection nevertheless
- location was superb!
- beds and bed linens good quality
- some noice coming out from the street, but that happens so often in hotels this close to city's hot spots that we normally take our ear plugs with us anyway.

People complaining about the missing air conditioning doesn't seem to understand, that summer 2010 was the hottest in 100 years - heat waves like this just doesn't happen in Estonia normally! We're from Finland, but have also had an all-time record hot summer. The more common problem this far north is to keep our houses warm!

We were also glad to hear they have family rooms - we'll return shortly for a family trip. Thank you Merchant's house. This is how I think a boutique hotel should look and operate. Everything was personnal and unique, but the price which was ordinary, if not even cheap. Gread value.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Henna_M_
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2010

The hotel is presented as "boutique", but that is a stretch given boutique hotels I've stayed in elsewhere. As a result their pricing should not be reflective of a boutique hotel.

It is obviously a historical property, which limits the changes that can be made to the property, but overall I thought the hotel was charming from an Old World sense.

Location is terrific, as it's just steps from Raekoja Platts, which is the main piazza in Tallinn's old town.

The hotel presents itself as being air conditioned, but that is not true, with more than half the rooms not being air conditioned. We were staying there in the middle of a heat wave, so it was not very comfortable. We were offered an alternative room that had a portable air conditioner but the room smelled very musty and we declined.

The most upsetting part of our stay was the final day & night that we were there, we did not receive any towels, despite numerous calls and visits to the front desk. We were not advised what the problem was (finding out much later by e-mail that they had had problems with their laundry service supplier) and were provided with robes to use for drying ourselves after our evening and morning showers.
Not quite what one would expect from a boutique hotel.

Church Stretton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2010

The usual suspicions arose when the decor was all downhill beyond the reception area.

"Boutique" is a well-worn adjective used to mask any number of flawed or hapless attempts at integrating comfort with architecture on the cheap.
Whatever the reason our room was just above hostel standard, the marshmallow single mattresses dubiously harnessed into an attempted double bed with a very tactile acryllic sheet.

This was small-time bed and breakfast standards at big ticket prices, proximity to the main square comes with an opportunity to avoid sleep in cramped malodourous surroundings which confirm the received wisdom of only booking such establishments on the strength of personal recommendation. But not this one.

1 Thank Northumbriaus
hotelstallinn, Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2010
Dear Sir,

I am firstly concerned that you have written your comments for the Merchants House Hotel, Tallinn? The Merchants House Hotel is one of the top 5 hotels in Tallinn.

I have just checked through all of the guest’s lists and the last Australian guest to stay at the Merchants House Hotel in Tallinn was 10days ago (departing on the 2nd of August) and was in room 107. This is a beautifully designed room with a backdrop limestone wall. This room is 24.7 sq metres in size, which is certainly not cramped?

The Merchants House Hotel is using the best Sleepwell hotel designed beds and mattresses and we have only had compliments regarding the hotel beds. I have checked the bed in room 107 and did not see any marks or stains in the bed. (I am personally going through all of the mattress protectors in the hotel as these change depending if the room needs to be allocated into a twin or double set-up)

The Merchants House Hotel is a non smoking hotel. Guests can smoke of course in the beautiful courtyard that the hotel has. However this does not sometimes stop some guests from smoking in their rooms? We then put the room out of order for a few days.

I would be grateful if you could contact me directly via email, so that I can understand your comments? I am not allowed to publish my email address directly on this site. But this is available on the hotels website, "A word from the Manager" the second tab down on the hotels website.

Additionally I will be speaking to trip advisor asking them if i could publish pictures of room 107, to help clear this matter up

Looking forward to straightening this matter out

With kind regards,