“beautiful location”

Merchant's House Hotel
Ranked #24 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Reviewed 22 December 2010

this hotel pretty much proved to be exactly what we expected The proximity to the town square and Christmas market made it second to none. The girl on the desk on arrival was outstanding...our flight had been delayed and we arrived after 11 o'clock starving.....she took the time to check the websites of local restaurants to find us something suitable still serving at that time of night. Breakfast far surpassed what we expected too!

My only complaint is.....we requested two rooms together since we were traveling with children but we were given one in the courtyard and one on the third floor! far from ideal but since my eldest is in her teens we accepted the rooms. In hindsight I realize I should have requested another straight away but I'm not much of a complainer and it didn't cause us any major problems. Our room was clean and adequate and I'd have been more than happy with it had I not seen the kids room which I thought was beautiful! So Request one of the downstairs Courtyard rooms!!

Also during the Xmas period taxi's don't drive down this street but will drop you about a hundred yards away at the top of the hill.....not a problem but make sure you know what the front of the hotel looks like, we walked straight past it!! and had to ask 3 people for directions!

On the whole I would recommend this hotel to family members and I would use it again if I ever return to Tallinn!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 December 2010

In the middle of November this year I did some business travel that included some time in London and an overnight in Tallinn. My secretary looked after hotel booking and came across the Merchants House on the internet. I was delighted when I arrived. THe hotel is in a super location - in the Old Town right beside the beautiful town square. The staff couldn't have been more helpful. The room was great, it was clean, warm, really nicely furnished with traditional stone walls and a big ensuite. Compared to the hotel in London that cost 3 times the price it was fantastic!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank JD185
Reviewed 30 November 2010

I have been staying at this hotel for more than 5.5 years on business and pleasure. This hotel is in the heart of the old town and right in the middle of all the restaurants and bars. The hotel is very luxurious and has a quirky old medieval feel to it, to keep in with Tallinn's Old Town tradition. The Merchants house has many different types of room ranging from double rooms to luxurious suites, and the piece de resistance of the Presidential suite. All rooms are extremely comfortable and spacious. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful, and nothing is too much trouble for them in order to make sure your stay is relaxing and enjoyable. The General Manager is also an extremely friendly English guy, who always takes the time to talk to the guests to ensure everything is ok with your stay. During a stay over a weekend my fiancée and I got engaged in Tallinn and I asked the GM if he could decorate the room in rose petals etc. They went the extra mile by building a fire for us and putting on the in room sauna and really did an excellent job of making the room look romantic.

As the title of the review says I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone. The Merchants House is definitely a top hotel and it is a pleasure to stay there.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank powellinho
Reviewed 16 September 2010

Superb location - right in town. Staff all very friendly and helpful - breakfast delightful.
Bedrooms and en-suites fitted to a very high standard. Excellent standard for relaxation and treatments. Our family stayed there when attending a great wedding........ and the atmosphere in the Merchant's House just kept the festivities going.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Mussa23
Reviewed 15 September 2010

At he heart of the old town within easy reach of some of the finest restaurants and bars in Europe the Merchnats House Hotel provides first class accomodation. I love the styling of each room with its clean and sophisticated decor! The staff are extremely helpful and catered for all our needs. We had a problem with presentational plaque that we had brought from home for a business presentation lunch. Without any hesitation the staff contacted a local shop and rectified our problem. We also had a private function in the ice bar which provided the ideal situation for friends and colleagues to catch up - it maybe went on a bit late as too much fun and cocktails were enjoyed by all. I wouldn't stay in any other hotel in my future visits to Tallinn as the personlised service and accommdation is the best in town!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank EntrepreneurEcossse
Reviewed 15 September 2010

Hi, I have been going to Tallinn for many years now and have stayed in every main hotel in the old town.

The Merchant House Hotel is frankly the best of the bunch by quite a long way, it has amazing management for whom "nothing" is a problem, on my last trip I had to get emergency dental treatment and these guys arranged that having a private dentist stay late etc etc.

I really could go on for hours about just how god this hotel is , the staff and management cannot do enough for you.

That's before we mention that the location is 2 seconds off the main town hall square.

If you are going to Tallinn on business or pleasure do yourself a huge favour and stay in this absolute gem of a hotel !!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 September 2010

My friend and I travel abroad every year and use trip advisor for all of hotels. This, as usual, ended up being a great suggestion. I agree with previous reviews that the lack of air conditioning can be a problem but we were lucky to be there the first week of cooler weather. If you are planning to stay in July or August, I would definitely make sure you have a room with air conditioning. The walls were a bit thin but the staff was friendly and spoke great English. The breakfast was nice and the rooms clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends