“I am usually fussy and picky, but it's just PERFECT”

Savoy Boutique Hotel
Ranked #5 of 83 Hotels in Tallinn
Moscow
“I am usually fussy and picky, but it's just PERFECT”
Reviewed 8 November 2012

I’ve been travelling a lot across Europe for the last 17 years. This is THE BEST hotel I have ever stayed in. In all respects! I stayed there for NY 2012. While outside is cold and snowy, it is VERY welcoming, warm and light. It has its unique atmosphere of a building in the OLD TALLINN, I believe they are proud of the architectural and design background of the building constructed in, I guess, the 19th century, but I did not go into much detail. We were given a room in the highest (6th) floor (there are only 4 rooms on this floor).
This was the QUIETEST room I have ever stayed it.
I slept there as I had done only as a child.
You get to your room in the old-fashioned wooden cabin of a modern lift. Each floor has a electronic door to be opened only with the room cards of the guests who stay in this floor – to avoid strangers in the corridors – and that’s good.
The problem was that the charge of our room card was always lost – either due to the frost outside or due to the proximity of the cell phone in my bag) – so whenever we reached our floor and wished to enter it, the card failed us and we needed to go down to the reception to recharge it. That was the only disadvantage and nuisance I experienced in this hotel.
Besides being quite, the room was comfortable, beautifully furnished, very clean, warm , but not hot – which it important in winter, with comfortable beds, with very good large and well-equipped bathroom, with wide-long windows having wooden blinds offering the greatest view over the tiled roofs, church domes and weathercocks of the Old Town!!!!
We were given a room upon arrival at 8 am, though the official check-in time is much later. The breakfast in the MEKK restaurant is great – large variety, all very tasty- all I could wish for breakfast.
Never dined in the MEKK restaurant, so can’t say – but I guess, the dinners are good and solid there as well.
The Town Hall square is maximum 5 minutes walk from the hotel, which is VERY convenient.
So, the hotel satisfies all the requirements we usually have – it looks beautiful from outside and inside, - I forgot to mention the great and cozy hall near the reception with a real old-style fire-place and comfortable arm-chairs and sofas; the hotel gives you a real quite rest at night , tasty and nourishing breakfast in the morning, quick way to all the sights and the atmosphere of the Old Tallinn.
I really recommend this hotel to all who travel to Tallinn. You may find something 20 Euro/a room per night cheaper – but believe me, you will have some sorts of inconveniences on place that will make you wish you had spent more but chose the true 5star-level Savoy and really enjoyed it 200%.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Pisets
TallinnHotels, Hotel Manager at Savoy Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 28 November 2012
Dear Pisets,

These comments make me feel like I have been given an early Christmas present. Thank you very much for making such an effort to share your kind thoughts with tripadvisor community!

I am absolutely excited to hear that your stay here was as perfect as you wrote. When I read your feedback it felt like you were describing my dream of the emotions we will one day manage to give to our guest. Thanks to this comment I now know that this is actually possible.

I truly hope to meet you some day to thank you personally. Maybe over dinner at MEKK.

Kind regards,
Edith Mihkelson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2012

Good size rooms, slippers and robes, very convenient location for wandering in the city, very pleasant staff, clean, great bar for drinks before heading out for the evening, oh and champagne and smoked salmon for breakfast!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amanda K
Dear Amanda,

Thank you very much for your utterly positive feedback!
I am very glad to hear that your stay here at Savoy Boutique Hotel was pleasant.
I hope the next time you come we can meet your expectations and improve to become even better hosts.

Until we meet again I wish you the best!

Vilnius
Reviewed 28 October 2012

I go to Tallinn once a year for the Tallinn fashion week and always stay at great hotels I fall in love with. This year I was given a room at the Savoy Boutique and was eager to experience the advantages of this beautiful hotel. The location is perfect (the hotel is in the old town), the room was great, the views stunned me. As a very fastidious eater, I can guarantee that you will enjoy your breakfast - everything was fresh, the MEKK restaurant was really nice and the staff was attentive. I even came back for dinner and recommend trying the Estonian dessert plate.

However, I am very disappointed by the hotel staff. On the first evening I had to rush to the fashion week venue and asked the receptionist to call me a taxi as no taxis were waiting near the hotel and I did not know any numbers. Her responded like this: 'I understand you have nice shoes on but I can't get you a taxi as it probably won't come very soon.' I know I am really young but this is a five star boutique hotel so this kind of answer shocked me.

The other disappointing thing happened this morning. I had to leave Tallinn at 7:00 AM and asked the receptionist for a wakeup call at 5:30 AM. As the time was changing tonight and I was not sure about how I should set my alarm clock, I thought that a wakeup call would be the best solution. Well, they DID NOT CALL. Thanks to some supernatural forces I woke up at 6:30 AM and could not believe my eyes and my ears. I even checked whether the phone was working. It was. Thankfully, I packed my luggage in advance but there was no time to shower, I am not even talking about doing my hair or makeup... When I rushed down to the reception to check out, they kept on repeating how sorry they were and paid for my mini bar and taxi but I almost missed my trip to Riga. Maybe I am wrong, but forgetting a wakeup call is not what 5* hotels do.

And at last, a few words about the room. I loved the interior, the bed was great, the closet was roomy, the views were beautiful. However, I had some problems with the electricity - only one power plug was working and it was in the bathroom so I had to charge my laptop and my phone there. And I do not know whether they clean the rooms daily, but I stayed at the hotel for two nights and left my room as I found it, no one changed the towels or the bed sheets.

To conclude, this is a very nice hotel with great location, restaurant and rooms but the service disappointed me. Maybe it happened because I am young and probably do not look too serious (I am 19) but I never had problems before.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
TallinnHotels, Hotel Manager at Savoy Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 15 November 2012
Dear Deimante,

Thank you for your comprehensive comments!

First of all let me say that I am very sorry about the two unfortunate coincidences that took place during your stay. I truly am sorry and I hope you can accept our apologies.

The way you wrote about your stay really shows how extraordinary person you are. Thank you for noting the positive aspects even after the disappointing events!

As for the negative part, I have now managed to talk to both of the staff members that made the mistakes you pointed out. They are both truly sorry and regretful of the turnout. An inappropriate joke is understandably disturbing but I hope you can forgive us and understand that this was meant to be as a friendly compliment on your look. And when it comes to the wake up being late there really is no excuse to it but we learned a valuable lesson and made some changes to make this system more effective. For that I also have to thank you!

Please except our sincerest regrets and be sure that the next time you visit Tallinn you have a complimentary meal at restaurant MEKK. Make sure that you contact me and I will give you the details about this offer. I hope the next time you visit us we can meet and I can tell you personally that the guests of Savoy Boutique Hotel are the priority number one in this building.

Best of luck and kind regards,

edith.mihkelson@mekk.ee
France
Reviewed 20 October 2012

This was a four night stay. A very pleasant hotel but perhaps not quite "boutique". Excellent location, but quite noisy in the early hours as there seem to be a number of nightspots nearby. Also one night the street-cleaning vehicle made several passes before dawn! The hotel restaurant serves excellent food (and wine) but it isn't a cheap option.

Room Tip: Avoid room 508? I hate wash basins that do not drain quickly. Mentioned on day 2 but not fixed. Migh...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris S
TallinnHotels, Hotel manager at Savoy Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 15 November 2012
Dear Chris,

Thank you for your post about the stay at our hotel!
Criticism and also the positive feedback is always a helpful tool for us to make your next stay even better!
We will do our best every day to make sure that the next time you arrive you will find our hotel more boutique than ever.

Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2012

I have just returned from a 3 night stay at the hotel and it really was perfect. Lovely room, stylish bar, friendly staff warm and cosy lounge.
When I go away I spend a lot of time trawling through reviews to get a good hotel in a good location and I was happy with every aspect. It is on the edge of the Old Town and you are at the main Town Hall Square within a 2 minute walk. However, it is far enough away not to suffer from the noise.
The breakfast was great and offered something for everyone.
The hotel has free wifi and if you have not taken a laptop they will lend you one which I have never known before.
I think the most impressive of all with the hotel is how spotlessly clean it was. I couldn't fault anything. Nothing was tatty or in need of repair.
We did not eat in the hotel restaurant (Mekk) except for breakfast but it looked lovely in there and was always busy.
Overall, if I were to return to Tallinn I'd stay here without doubt.
A taxi from the airport was 7.60 euros.
One slight downside (if there was one) was that the room card keys didn't always work which meant an extra journey down to reception to sort. However, in light of the amount of food and drink consumed during the trip, this extra bit of exercise did no harm whatsoever!!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
TallinnHotels, Hotel Manager at Savoy Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 11 October 2012
Dear guest,

I am thrilled about this feedback post!
I could not wish for more from a guest, this is just the kind of comment you thrive for every day!

Your sense of details and good humour ofcourse makes you just the kind of person we would like to host in our hotel every single day.

I really hope that we will meet again in Savoy Boutique Hotel the next time you decide to visit Tallinn!

With best wishes,
Devon, England
Reviewed 2 October 2012

As a regular visitor to Tallinn I really enjoy the city and like trying out the various hotel options. The Savoy is perfectly functional and in a good location, however I am not sure it really is a 'boutique' hotel in the sense that I, at least, expected.

My room was comfortable, but the bathroom was small. Overall the rooms lacked the extra something that you expect from a boutique hotel with this rating.

The breakfast was good, and service in the hotel bar was friendly,

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank earlycheckin
Dear guest,

Thank you for the honest feedback!

A savvy traveler like you is a great opportunity for every hotel to manage with the highest expectations. I am sure your comments come with the best intentions to help us become an even better host. Certainly we will take notes of your post and try to make your expectations become reality next time.

Savoy Boutique Hotel's doors will be open for you when you decide to visit Tallinn again!

Kind regards,
U.K.
Reviewed 21 September 2012 via mobile

A very central location ideal for a tourist, everything within easy reach.
We had a first floor room overlooking the square, which although quite busy, the triple glazing coped well with & the room was quiet. It was spacious, well furnished and perfectly clean. The beds were comfortable & it had both a bath & shower.
We liked the free English news sheets available each morning. The breakfast was good & the staff attentive.
We would certainly stay again if in Tallinn.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for the kind comments!
I appreciate you for mentioning our staff, this is an employers dream come true!

Hopefully we will meet again in Sayvoy Boutique Hotel!
Best wishes,