“Anniversary”

Savoy Boutique Hotel
Ranked #5 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We spent a very nice annoversary night with romantic add-on with bottle of cava, candles and handmade tryffels Central location and cosy room. Friendly personnel made our visit memorable I'd like to recommend Savoy to my friends.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank EJM58
TallinnHotels, Hotel manager at Savoy Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Dear EJM,

Thank you for your kind words!

It gives us a great pleasure to hear that you were happy with your stay here.
Hopefully there will be more occasions that you decide to have here, so we can continue to give you an experience you utterly deserve.

Kindly,

Reviewed 14 August 2013

This is an excellent hotel, with friendly staff, located on the edge of the old town, which is within a mile or so of the great K. park containing presidential palace & museums. My wife & I stayed for just 2 nights in a suite on 4th floor and it far exceeded our expectations -- beautiful old rooms with modern conveniences. We never made it down to breakfast but the day we flew out at 6am they made us sandwiches, an unexpected and delightful touch. Tallinn is also much less costly than Scandinavia! We definitely plan to return to Estonia.

Room Tip: 408 is a really nice corner suite
1  Thank Jonathan R
TallinnHotels, Hotel manager at Savoy Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Dear Jonathan,
Thank you for your kind words!

It was a pleasure to host you here at Savoy Boutique Hotel and we are already looking forward to the next time!

Reviewed 11 August 2013

Small boutique hotel with friendly service. Rooms are okay, but the bathrooms are the best. Ask for a room on the higher levels for during the night it can get noisy from the bars across the street. If not, take earplugs like my husband. Wifi is complimentary, but spotty and slow unless you are in the lobby or bar area.

Room Tip: Ask for room on the higher level to avoid noise from bars, etc.
2  Thank nvlinks

Dear nvlinks,
Thank very much for your post!

I am sure that this will be helpful for the other tripadvisor users as well.
Savoy Boutique Hotel is looking forward to host you in the future!

Until then I wish you all the best!

Reviewed 7 August 2013

This was our first trip to Tallinn, and we didn't know what to expect. Having read some mixed reviews on the Savoy (after booking), we were more than pleasantly surprised by the high quality of the room, the service, and the location.

Many reviewers have mentioned the location, but I will just remind readers that the hotel is one block into the Old Town, and one block from the square from which you start climbing up to the Upper Town. It is also very close to numerous haute cuisine restaurants. Yes, haute cuisine. I have to admit that after reading so much about Tallinn's preserved medieval architecture and occupation by the Soviets that I expected something much more provincial. I had no idea (shame on me) that Tallinn has world-class hotels, shopping, and restaurants. And if you have been travelling in Scandinavia, the reasonable prices are a welcome surprise.

Some people mentioned noise: we heard no noise from bars, but be forewarned that the Old Town is a popular night spot for young people in Tallinn as well as tourists, so you will hear the occasional reveler. If you keep your windows closed, you probably won't notice anything. There isn't any traffic in the late evening or through the night.

Our room was amazing, but know that we were upgraded to a corner room with a sitting area. The bathroom (marble) had a jacuzzi bathtub, lovely fixtures, a huge window that opened, and luxury amenities.

The bed was extremely comfortable (a Novotel with orthopedic topper) and the linens were silky smooth. Someone on TripAdvisor said the bedding was substandard because the duvets weren't fluffy. Keep in mind that during the summer you are likely to get cotton filled duvets rather than goosedown. This is true all over Northern Europe, even in the best hotels. These are as light but not fluffy and not as warm. You will appreciate the difference that makes in the summer. Our room had two TVs, one for the sitting area, one for the bed. There is a refrigerator (important to us because my husband takes insulin). Robes and slippers were provided as well as several large cupboards and armoires. THe sitting area has an armchair and a loveseat--both very comfortable. Room was exceptionally clean and the linens smelled nice. The staff left little treats by our bedsides. Again, keep in mind that we were upgraded, so I can't say whether any of this is standard. The corner room was great, because if we wanted to open the windows we got lots of air and light. The windows have gauze curtains and wooden shutters inside--very good for darkening the room during the summer nights.

I should also mention that the hotel takes security precautions very seriously. You need a key card to get into your hotel corridor and into your room (and as with most European hotels, you need your key card for the main energy switch in your room). There is a safe in the room. Free wi-fi as well.

The staff was terrific. Very hospitable on arrival, great with maps and directions, told us about the free candy and fruit always available, and generally made us feel very welcome. All the staff members speak very good English. When we had to leave early in the morning, they made sure we had sandwiches, fruit and juice to take with us to the airport (no charge). We didn't eat in the hotel restaurant, Mekk, but other guests told us it was very good. The bar also has an outdoor patio by the square: my husband had a local beer, which he liked, the service was excellent, but we didn't order any cocktails so I can't say how the mixologist was. Oh, the hotel called the cab for us to make sure we didn't have to worry about unscrupulous taxi drivers. (By the way, the airport is more modern than most US airports, and is only a 10 minute drive from the hotel.)

I recommend this hotel very highly. During our trip throughout Scandinavia we stayed in the best hotels (an anniversary gift from my husband), and this hotel was the equal of any of them. I do want to emphasize that Tallinn is quite sophisticated: many folks from the Nordic countries and Russia come here regularly, so the first-rank hotels have to be excellent. As do the restaurants--also fabulous!

Since I don't know if I'll be writing more reviews on Tallinn while it's fresh in my mind, I'll mention a couple of things we did that are well worth doing. 1. When you find yourself in the main square of Old Town, do go to the Estonian museum. It is in a wonderful old Guild Hall building, the exhibit is small, but you will get some sense of Estonian history, which will make the rest of your visit more interesting. Not expensive and it won't take a long time. 2. The insides of the churches are amazing, even if churches aren't your thing. Take the time to go into the Alexander Nevsky church. Also, while in the Upper Town (Toompea) go to the two overlooks--one on each side of the Toompea. These are marked on the map you will get in the hotel. The Toompea is a short climb--not strenuous. 3. Make sure you take a stroll down Katerina Kaik and stop in to Master's Courtyard. 4. The old wall is visible at the bottom of Katerina Kaik (walking down from Vene), and there are vendors selling handicrafts in between the buttresses. Across from them are some of the linen shops.

5. If you like art, museums, and parks, you should take a bus or walk (it takes about ten minutes down Narva Mnt. which starts one block from the Savoy) to Kadriorg Park where Peter the Great built a Summer Palace for his wife. The grounds of the park itself are lovely, and the Palace is being restored (the back and formal gardens are completed). You can go into the Palace for art from 17th to 20th century--you can read more about what's there online. We enjoyed seeing the building AND the art. There was a special Repin exhibit, which was quite good, during our time there.

6. THEN walk about 200 yds past the Palace to Kumu, which is a wonderful contemporary building--just great. This has Estonian art through the ages, a fabulous room filled with all kinds of busts (fun!), and this summer an Irving Penn photography exhibit (wonderful). You can also easily take a bus or tram down to the park if you don't feel like walking--Narva Park has high-end hotels up near the Old Town, but becomes shabbier as you approach the park. You will get some sense of the rest of Tallinn when you take the walk--we like that sort of thing.

7. Before or after going to Kadriorg take Lower Koidula (runs into the park from Narva Mnt.) -- just about a half block from the park you'll find Gourmet Coffee. It is a great little cafe with terrific coffees from all over the world and award-winning baristas. We liked walking on J. Poska just next to the park because there are ultra-modern homes next to 18th century wooden homes and even earlier homes. You see an interesting mix of styles.

8. We ate one night at Tchaikovsky, in a lovely courtyard accessible either through the Hotel Telegraaf or on the side street off Vene. Use the side-street entrance (just down from the main square). FABULOUS food, first-rate service, lovely place, and beautiful presentation. Many of the chefs in Tallinn have remarkable pedigrees. This one is amazing, but I can't compare to the others because we only ate out one night.

9. If you take the ferry from Helsinki, you will be on board a mini-cruise ship, complete with supermarket, restaurants, duty-free shops and about 2,000 other passengers. Get to the port early so you don't have to be in the middle of the huge herd. Great people-watching! BUT be forewarned that it is a LONG walk, about half a kilometer, down the passageway to get to the ship. If you have trouble walking, look into a wheelchair for this part of the trip. The walk out in Tallinn is a bit shorter, but not by much.

Room Tip: corner suites are large and sunny! You may want to shut your shutters before leaving in the morning...
4  Thank Molly R
TallinnHotels, Manager at Savoy Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2013

Dear Molly,
Thank you for your warm post!

These kind of letters are what motivate us here at Savoy Boutique Hotel to thrive for improvement.
I am eager to see you here again in the future to show you our gratitude with a warm welcome again.

Until the next time!

Reviewed 6 August 2013

This hotel has a lot going for it. The location is great, within a 5 minute walk to the old town central square, but also within a 2 minute walk of a large shopping center where you can buy just about anything you could need. Restaurants are all over the place. And there is a concierge parking nearby (20 euros per night).

The room was nice and comfortable. We had requested baby bed and one was actually there when we entered the room (no reminders were necessary, which is very rare). The receptionists on staff during the weekdays were quite good (though the weekend girl seemed like she had never been in Tallinn before. She told us that on Sunday evening after 10pm no restaurants would be open in the old town, but when we walked through the town, we found no shortage of restaurants).

The breakfast room was very nice, but small. The food offered was good quality but limited. However, when we asked for cappuccinos instead of the standard drip coffee, they were brought with a smile (and no extra charge).

Overall, we were more than satisfied with this hotel. The location was perfect, the price in line with the quality and the service was overall very good. I would certainly return.

Room Tip: We were on the fourth floor and were quite happy there. There is only one tiny elevator, but that pr...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Eugene E
TallinnHotels, Hotel Manager at Savoy Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Dear Americannj,
Thank you for your warm post!

Until the next time!

Reviewed 23 July 2013

Great location close to old town. Bars nearby noisy at night and when people leaving. Building construction noise opposite so could hardly open windows. Friendly reception staff and knowledgable in restaurant recommendations. No interconnecting rooms and after not providing rooms next to each other as promised, they apologised with a plate of fruit for each room. Noisy air conditioning and not cold. Room facing street is quite hot from afternoon sun. Nice bathroom but towels are worn and need replacing and very high bath is dangerous when climbing in and out of.Security poor as 1 night, despite having the door locked, someone unlocked door and entered room, only to realise they had made a mistake and shut the door. After ringing staff immediately, they apologised saying a staff member had mixed up the room ...not good. Breakfast was set in restaurant, lovely atmosphere and good selection of food. Some staff unfriendly and more interested in tidying up near kitchen rather than serving customers. Good priced rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on higher floor and not facing Main Street so not noisy and not hot
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jen1964Sydney
TallinnHotels, Hotel manager at Savoy Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2013

Dear Jen,

Thank you for the overview!

I am glad that there were many things about our hotel that you enjoyed as I am concerned about the things you found lacking in quality.
I assure you that we will thrive to improve every day as we have done up until today, too and hopefully we can deliver your dream stay when you decide to stay here again.

Reviewed 13 July 2013

Having started a 5-day stay at this hotel last night, and been impressed so far by the quality of thhe room and the standard of the establishment, I had intended to write a glowing report to Trip-Advisor at the end of our stay; However, I have just stopped in the bar after dinner this-evening and asked for a digestif. I was offered only sweet liqueurs, to which I responded "don't you have anything dry like a grappa?" A barman was called and he said "Yes - I have this grappa" - holding up a bottle which I didn't recognise, but saw the word 'Grappa' so agreed. A very small glass was served - at room temperature!! - and I drank it. It was a reasonable grappa but served far too warm. I called for the bil - 18€ !!!! - I asked "are you sure that is right?" and was assured that it was!! "I could have a meal for this price " I offered - "Yes, I know" was the giggled reply.

My advice: AVOID this hotel bar!!!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RonIngrid
TallinnHotels, Hotel manager at Savoy Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Dear Ron and Ingrid,

Thank you for your feedback!

Seeing that you enjoyed our restaurant MEKK and our service plus rooms, I assume that you were more than pleased with the quality we provided to you, overall. However I can understand your concern about the grappa-incindent.

I hope that you can find an understanding for us and can still keep a memory about your trip that is full of enjoyment.