“Cheap hotel at the best location”

Kalev Spa Hotel & Waterpark
Ranked #20 of 82 Hotels in Tallinn
Pori, Finland
“Cheap hotel at the best location”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

Went there for mini-spa holiday with friends. Room was ok, not the cleanest one, but I've been in worse. But the waterpark... Unfortunately it was dirty and when we went for a morning swim, the smell of mold in the showering area was obvious.

The buffet restaurant wasn't that good experience either. Bad food and worn out dining room didn't really invite to go and eat there on the second day. Breakfast wasn't the best one, everything looked like it had been on the plates a bit too long...

Spa treatments were nice, and affordable, so just for the treatments and sleeping in the room the hotel is nice.

Location is excellent, though. The hotel is right next to the old city, where you can find great cafes and restaurants with nice food and drinks.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank IceQueen82

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

Stayed here 2 nights with my wife and our 2 kids (4 years and ½ year old). We made booking through hotels.com, we paid 85€/night in bigger Spa Class room. Not a bad deal at all considering the location which is right next to old town + free access to spa.

Rooms were basic, nothing extra but on the other hand no disappointments either. Based on what kind of economic rooms (cheapest rooms they have) I saw, economic room is same as Spa class room except that there is big corridor leading into the inner room at Spa class rooms. We stored our trollers in that corridor but otherwise I recommend staying in economic class rooms, they are the same but little bit cheaper. During our stay some rooms were being renovated which disturbed us a little bit, but maybe the rooms will look nicer in the future...

Breakfast was good, normal selection of youghurt, cerials, porridge, bread, eggs, sausages and so one. The "spa" in this place is actually big indoor swimming area, there is huge 50m long big swimming pool + two kids pool and 3 bubble baths. Our children loved the place and we went to swim 5 times in 3 days :)

I could not find slippers, so if you plan to do swimming I reccomend taking your own flip-lops or similar. In the hotel there is also beaty salong, my wife went and liked a lot. Prices were quite okay, only a little bit more expensive than smaller salongs nearby.

We had a car with us, parking outside the hotel was 12€/24h.

Great stay, we will definitely come back next time when we visit Tallin.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Silver Spring, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

We did not stay overnight here, but we went to the spa several times. The saunas were fine, but the best thing is the spa treatments at great prices. Massages are 30 euro per hour here, and they're quite good. The staff are not very good at explaining things, but they are nice.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Heather D
Ankara, Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

This hotel is a great value. I stayed there for three nights with my family. The spa and swimming pool were awesome in winter time. The room was clean. The breakfast was delicious and rich. The staff was warm. The location was on the edge of the Old Town, just a few minutes from the town square. What else can I request?.. It was excellent.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Elland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

I had arranged to take my daughter to this hotel to celebrate her birthday, We had planned a relaxing spa break, However when we arrived at the hotel we found out that they had no record of our booking. The reception staff offered drinks whilst they attempted to find out what the problem was. It transpired that the company we had booked through had gone into liquidation so our prepaid voucher was not valid. I had got what I thought was a good deal through an online web site and the hotel agreed to honour the price and also upgraded our rooms.The facilities were every bit as good as advertised, breakfast was a help yourself buffet The room where it was served was basic but the food was of a good quality and the scrambled eggs were excellent. My daughter and I had dinner one night in the hotel and we both enjoyed the food. All the staff we had dealings with throughout the stay were friendly and efficient.

Room Tip: We had 2 5th floor balcony room. The views were fabulous with the port to one side and old town the...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Turku, Western Finland, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

Breakfest was ok but food at dinner was quite poor. Good service at the beauty center. The hotel could do with a bit of renovation and the pools were quite modest. The location is good though, it is near the harbor and the old town of Tallinn.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

Stayed here travelling alone last week, arrived on a very damp day to find out that my room had been double booked but they'd 'upgraded' me to the 5th floor. The room was dark and small, with a balcony (though it was raining so didn't use it). Clean enough but the TV had bad reception and the bed was very springy. However, the staff were lovely, the waterpark good, pool great and not crowded and I loved my pedicure that I had in the salon. Breakfast average, nice breads, and a good selection but the room small and had to wait to sit. The best thing about the hotel was the friendly reception staff! I whiled away a good couple of hours there drinking tea and reading with no pressure while I waited for the rain to stop.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business