“good location poor breakfast”

Kalev Spa Hotel & Waterpark
Ranked #23 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Riga, Latvia
“good location poor breakfast”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed there this summer, the location is perfect, pools and sauna are great as well, but the breakfast is kinda not enyoable, no choice, lack of vegetables and fruits just one bowl with apples and pears and thats all, as a desert there were just one kind of not so fresh sweet cake..... And we had very small rooms, with very thin wall, so we could here everything what happend next door....

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank zaneji

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This review is for the spa and water park only, not the hotel. My friends and I booked a spa package which included 1.5 hours in the water park, a 30 minute massage, 40 minutes in the salt chamber, and dinner, for only 36 euro. It was a fantastic decision, well worth the money.

When you check in, you are led into a small locker room where you’re provided a bathrobe, towel, and slippers, and a locker and lock for your stuff. I highly recommend you bring your own flip-flops, because they slippers they provide get soggy very easily.

The waterpark includes use of the swimming pool lanes, various hot tubs (none of which are all that hot, btw — they range from like 35-45 celsius), sauna, and crazy water slides. Note that there are invariably lot of children running around, people having swim team practice, old folks bathing, etc. We went on a weekday afternoon, so it might be a bit calmer in the morning.

The Swedish massage was incredibly relaxing, but the salt chamber was a bit strange as I’d never heard of it before. The room is like a cross between a beach and an igloo — salt was on the floor, walls, and ceiling. There were beach chairs to sit on, and muzak was pumped into the room. We weren’t too sure what to do in there except sit. Nevertheless, it was an interesting experience.

We then went back to the locker room to shower and change for dinner. There’s a basic soap dispenser in the showers, so bring your own toiletries if you prefer.

Dinner was delicious, but don’t come expecting gourmet food. We had a choice between beef and salmon; we all chose salmon. It came with a mushroom cream sauce, sauteed veggies, and mashed potato. We were also given coffee and tea with our dessert — an overly sweet chocolate cake with rasperry and peach (?) coulis.

This is not a fancy spa, but it was still a great value. I would highly recommend this based on the price.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Melissa P
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Hotel location is great. Short walk to the old city and about 10 mins to the harbour. At the arrival, hotel didn’t have my reservation on their system but it was fixed quickly. Room is quite small and basic but with comfortable bed.
Bathroom has been missing soap and shower had an empty bottle for gel. Room wasn’t clean. Would be good if housekeeping service can be improved. Good value for money because of location. Next time would try another place in Tallinn.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Molodaya
St. Petersburg, Russia
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Great hotel, and central location. The staff was friendly and helpful, although if you speak English, you'll have to listen attentively. The hotel is close to the Old Town and other attractions. We had a wonderful time at the spa, swimming pool and massage. We will return in August of 2014.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reykjavik, Iceland
Reviewed 27 May 2014

The Kalev Hotel and Spa is very well located, within the old city and close to the main shopping centre of Tallin. Being the water animal I am, I thoroughly enjoyed having access to the swimming pool, hot pools, jacuzzis and saunas. In my opinion, there should be a spa in every hotel :)
My room was on the second floor, and there was a nice clean smell from the pool that I liked. I was on a business visit, but used every opportunity to go to the pool. As for the room, it was nice and the bed was good. I loved the big window, as I have lately been staying in too many hotels with locked windows. The bathroom was nice, but it the in-tub shower inevitably got the whole floor wet. The wifi was way too weak and unreliable. Excellent staff and good service.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Porvoo, Finland
Reviewed 17 May 2014

The hotel was ok. Except I could hear when my friend went to the bathroom in the other room and what music my other friends listened to across the hall. And the wi-fi was like a teenage girl PMSing. On-off, works here and there, yes and no, hot and cold...

Back to topic. Beds were sweet, rooms were clean and breakfast was... edible. I prefer my croissants big and fluffy, not small and sticky. But the coffee was drinkable what is a lot said from me, since I'm real picky about my black java.

Now to the most important part: the spa. As you can read from the heading, this spa had one fatal flaw. Not that it was the only one, but this one was the killing blow. Now, there were pools with bubbling water, and one ~20cm "deep" pool with what I describe as exploding bath(pearl bath they say), but there was no normal honest-to-what-ever-deity-you-believe-in Jacuzzi.

After an evening of running up and down the streets of Tallinn I reallly need a good old fashioned bath in peace. I mean no offence, some of these pools were really nice, but what spa doesn't have a normal Jacuzzi? They had like three slides, but no Jacuzzi.

That ruined my morning pretty bad.

The sauna was cold (I'm from Finland, I like my sauna hot), the showers were ridiculous and the architect of the place obliviously thought making the spa a freaking maze would be a good idea. It was not. I couldn't find back to the showers. I swear I'm not that bad at directions.

As previously mentioned I might have stayed out a bit late the previous night. This might have had an effect on my mood and so I might be a bit more critical than this place deserves. I just happen to like writing bad reviews. This place wasn't the worst I've been in, but knowing the hellholes I've been trough that doesn't make me too happy. It shouldn't make you too happy either.

Tallinn is really cheap. With the amount of money I put into the place I can get better. So I say put your money somewhere else. To somewhere with a freaking Jacuzzi. You deserve it.

Room Tip: Ask if they are going to have a big group of students and if you can get as far away from them as po...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Pomeliiina
KalevSpa, Manager at Kalev Spa Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Hello, Pomeliina !

I have to say that your review is a bit surprising. I somehow understand the rest, but how is it possible that you didn´t find any jaccuzzies, because we have several, also one big that definetely the biggest in Tallinn. We used to have small ones in the very beginning but then clients had to go in and out to try different massage jets and we built in one huge jaccuzzy that is divided into different sections - there is now about 20 m long hot tub with a variety of functions and massage jets. Additionaly we have next to the saunas and 50 m pool a large "lower-shaped"- pool. So your review does not characterize the real options we have. The pearl bath is actually very popular also. But I also understand what you mean by the old-fashion jaccuzy.

Our regular quests love the hotel because of the water park and for the many options there are for quests in every age-group. Water slides are very popular- of course they are harmless, kids and adults use them every day, in spite the black one is very fast. It is important to follow the instructions though as always.
Wi-fi can be hectic in few rooms, apparently because of the thousands of litres of water and amount of concrete we have in the building but just in case we also have cables to give from reception, just in case the wi-fi is not properly working. In lobby area it definetely works and it is free throughout the house. Most of the rooms have concrete walls between them, not cyproc, so there is not much noise problem heard from clients, also the property is located in the quiet part- just at the edge of old town, being surrounded by park from one side.
I thank you for the feedback and also for the positive remarks, we always appreciate the comments and any kind of feedback in order to make our services even better. You are welcome back to visit Kalev Spa and hopefully get better impressions next time.

Piret Betlem
Hotel manager
Porvoo, Finland
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We had a studying trip with my classmates and a couple of teachers. We stayed one night in Kalev Spa and the hotel was a very good choice for us. It is a nice hotel in a good location and it is close to the harbor and the old city center. Some of us used wellness services and spa and they were brilliant. Unfortunately one room wasn't cleaned properly because they hadn't emptied the bin. Generally speaking we liked the hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends