“A lovely, friendly place to stay in a beautiful old town”
Review of Hotel Telegraaf

Hotel Telegraaf
Ranked #4 of 85 Hotels in Tallinn
California
“A lovely, friendly place to stay in a beautiful old town”
Reviewed 21 May 2011

We really enjoyed the Hotel Telegraaf. The staff were always extremely friendly, and the room was pretty and quiet. I enjoyed the fast, free Internet in the lobby. Even though we didn't eat dinner at the hotel (probably a mistake, since the breakfast was so good), it was fun to walk by and hear the pretty classical music in the dining room. The hotel was in a really good location for seeing the sights in old Tallinn.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 9 May 2011

The hotel is abosultely amazing - stylish, great location, great service.

Hotel is situated exactly in the middle of the Old Town which means that all the main sight are in walking distance.

The rooms are spacious and very nice decorated. Housekeeping is doing excellent job as the rooms are spotless.

The staff is very friendly and helpulf, smilling all the time. Partricular thanks belongs to Kristel from Front Office.

The breakfast was very nice as well. All the food very so fresh with great selection.

Another wonderful thing is the spa - paradise in the centre of Tallinn. Nice swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna etc. If you are there, try one of the massages - the Deep Tissue massage is one of the best.

In conclusion, the hotel is just perfect!!!!!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JiriSimCZ
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 9 May 2011

The hotel is in a perfect location, I have always wanted to come to Tallinn, in the past I wanted to stay at Three Sisters but due to the tripadvisor reviews chose the Telegraff.  Hotel is right next to the townsquare, close by most sights and restaurants (and better location vs Three Sisters)

Drive from airport took only ten minutes to the hotel.  Check in at reception was fast and efficient.

My room was on the sixth floor.   The slice of a window was very small ( fortunately it was very sunny the days I was here, otherwise the room would have felt claustrophobic. ) Room came with twin beds ( I must have forgotten to ask for a king size beds), beds and room were also small-ish but warmly decorated.    I was fighting a cold so the lack of a kettle was not convenient.  Two bottles of water from the fridge cost  €9.00 vs the Tea delivered from the restaurant that cost 3.50€.

The bathroom was clean and modern with Elemis amenities, but I found it strange that the only way to keep the door opened was to wedge a chair in between, esp since there was no ventilation.

I was here for three days/two nights.  On my second day I left my room at 9 am for breakfast.   Came back at 2ish to realize they have not yet cleaned my room, I napped for an hour- ish, left for more sightseeing and hung up the door sign for them to clean,  came back at 6 pm pre dinner and room was still not cleaned.  Went out for dinner at 7.  Came back at 9.  Again, no housekeeping/ turndown service.  I was planning to reuse my towels etc so it was not a big deal but still strange, a five star hotel would leave a note/card, or call.  Nothing at all from this place.

On the upside, great location, good food and live music at dinner (what else? Tchaikovsky), nicely decorated room (despite small size and tiny window), fast free wifi, and a good spa (enjoyed the deep tissue massage here).  This probably is the best place in beautiful Tallinn, just definitely not a five star.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
HotelierTallinn, Manager at Hotel Telegraaf, responded to this review, 11 May 2011
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your feedback here on Tripadvisor.com – a channel that we continuously observe as we do not only want praise, but also constructive criticism like yours. We constantly use feedback from our guests in our internal meetings and trainings in order to serve our customers better in the future.

Obviously it is a drawback in our continuous affords to please our guests and to make them feel very welcome, when I read a comment like yours to which I would like to answer the following:

Unfortunately I don’t know the exact date of your stay, but I can assure you that we usually do everything in our power to find the right room for our guests. We are well aware of the fact that not every guest has the same expectations and needs. This is why we do not mind to change a room allocation after arrival – provided this is at all possible (occupancy related).

Further on it is unsatisfactory to hear that your room was not cleaned at all during your stay. This is certainly not our standard and I would like to apologize for the shortcoming.
However, we found that sometimes guests are not paying enough attention to our differently designed „Do-not-disturb“ – „Please make-up-the-room“ information cards, which can be hung outside the door. Since they are not in the usual red and green colours, perhaps they got mixed up? We experienced this problem with other guests before and your comment convinced us now to change these cards in the weeks to come. We will try to make the new ones more user-friendly.

I dislike the fact to have disappointed guests and I therefore would like to offer you to contact me directly via email michael.stenner@telegraafhotel.com if you would like to return to our hotel in the not too distant future. I promise that I will make up for our faults!

Kind regards from the European Capital of Culture – Tallinn,

Michael JJ Stenner
-General Manager-
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2011

The hotel building is beautiful and inside just gets better. The interior is stunning and the rooms and bathrooms are lovely. Very spacious, comfortable big beds and very quiet. The location is brilliant - only 2-3 minutes walk to the main square. When we checked in, our room had two single beds and we'd asked for a double room. The hotel was full so we couldn't move rooms and they were very apologetic. They sent someone to the room who pushed the beds together and put a king size mattress over the beds. They also left us a bottle of champagne which was lovely. The hotel restaurant (Tchaikovsky) is lovely and the buffet breakfast was served in a beautiful room with a glass ceiling. The buffet was excellent and the fresh scrambled egg was divine. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel on every level.

1 Thank GrooveArmada58
UK
Reviewed 3 May 2011

Just come back from a 4 day trip to Tallinn.
Chose this hotel because of the great reviews and they were spot on.
Couldn't get a better location, friendly service and lovely room - we even made it to the steam room and jacuzzi.
Would highly recommend!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2011

Absolutely amazing hotel in the middle of the old town. A combination of modern and traditional. Friendly staff, a small but indeed delightful indoors swimming pool with glass ceiling, spa facilities. Excellent breakfast. The Symphony lounge, where you can have a drink in quiet next to a fireplace (when it is not booked for private functions) was fabulous.
We went there for our wedding anniversary and we loved every minute of it!
Strongly recommended!

1 Thank Lexi77
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2011

We stayed at the Telegraaf hotel over the Easter period. We found the hotel excellent in every way. The location, rooms. breakfast and Spa were all superb. Our room was on the 6th floor and lacked some light but when we contacted the desk staff we were moved to a brighter room on the 5th floor. We found the staff very helpful and polite, especially Helen who looked after us at breakfast time with lots of lovely coffee! She was so pleasant and charming as were all the staff. The breakfasts were fantastic and really set us up for the day. Ask for the pancakes with bacon and syrup. The main square was a 2 minute walk and everything else was close at hand. One of the previous reviews mentioned that the pillows were not up to standard. We found this to be at variance with the facts- the pillows were absolutely fine and the bed was extremely comfortable. The spa was brilliant at the end of a day spent walking for miles and it was a great place to relax and read. We would definately stay here again and would like to return to see Tallinn in the snow.

1 Thank JustJames88