“excellent..................but beware”

Ranked #4 of 83 Hotels in Tallinn
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“excellent..................but beware”
Reviewed 3 June 2011

the hotel has an excellent location in the old town, and in a quiet area too. the decor is very smart and stylish and the rooms are large, well furnished and very comfortable. the food is really good and the staff are pleasant and responsive.

so what's the problem?

our first night was on the top floor of the new wing - 614. the rooms are a little smaller than beneath, but that is not really a problem. the problem is the window - at this level the rooms are "room in the roof" style, and there is a dormer window. as these are difficult to fit curtains to, there are blinds. but these don't keep the light out and we found it very difficult to sleep as it gets light exceptionally early!

in fairness when we asked to be moved they did arrange a different room, and it was all done in an efficient and friendly manner. however as we were checking out we noted someone else at reception complaing about the same issue!

so if you like a dark room to sleep in be careful where you are allocated, but apart from that this really is an excellent hotel.

Room Tip: try to avoid the top floor of the rear block
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ClunkNebbermorth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
California
Reviewed 30 May 2011

We loved our 3 nights at Hotel Telegraaf. The location in Tallinn couldn't be better for enjoying old town. We were able to walk from the Viking Ferry terminal, although we took a taxi to our early morning ferry on the return.

We appreciated wifi in the room. The staff was responsive to our requests. Beds were very comfortable but we didn't like the special pillows. Maybe we should have asked for others. The "pillow menu" didn't make it clear.

For 2 nights we had a small, charming room in the old wing overlooking Vene for 215E/nt (incl breakfast). For our last night we were moved to a room in the new wing overlooking an inside courtyard. We were surprised how much we preferred the newer room. It was much more spacious, with more effective blackout curtains & 30E less per night.

Breakfast in the Tchaikovsky dining room was very good. The 1st night we had dinner in the Tchaikovsky restaurant. It was one of the 2 best meals we'd had in our month of traveling.

Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 23 May 2011

My son and I arrived on 12/31/10 to spend a few days in Tallinn, especially to celebrate New Year's Eve at the opera house. The trip was magical in every way. The hotel is superb; the staff is charming and helpful. And Tallinn is delightful. Even the cold weather was friendly -- and considering that my son and I live in Brazil, that's saying something. Summing up, highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2010
4 Thank JohnBrazil
California
Reviewed 21 May 2011

We really enjoyed the Hotel Telegraaf. The staff were always extremely friendly, and the room was pretty and quiet. I enjoyed the fast, free Internet in the lobby. Even though we didn't eat dinner at the hotel (probably a mistake, since the breakfast was so good), it was fun to walk by and hear the pretty classical music in the dining room. The hotel was in a really good location for seeing the sights in old Tallinn.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 9 May 2011

The hotel is abosultely amazing - stylish, great location, great service.

Hotel is situated exactly in the middle of the Old Town which means that all the main sight are in walking distance.

The rooms are spacious and very nice decorated. Housekeeping is doing excellent job as the rooms are spotless.

The staff is very friendly and helpulf, smilling all the time. Partricular thanks belongs to Kristel from Front Office.

The breakfast was very nice as well. All the food very so fresh with great selection.

Another wonderful thing is the spa - paradise in the centre of Tallinn. Nice swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna etc. If you are there, try one of the massages - the Deep Tissue massage is one of the best.

In conclusion, the hotel is just perfect!!!!!

1 Thank JiriSimCZ
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 9 May 2011

The hotel is in a perfect location, I have always wanted to come to Tallinn, in the past I wanted to stay at Three Sisters but due to the tripadvisor reviews chose the Telegraff.  Hotel is right next to the townsquare, close by most sights and restaurants (and better location vs Three Sisters)

Drive from airport took only ten minutes to the hotel.  Check in at reception was fast and efficient.

My room was on the sixth floor.   The slice of a window was very small ( fortunately it was very sunny the days I was here, otherwise the room would have felt claustrophobic. ) Room came with twin beds ( I must have forgotten to ask for a king size beds), beds and room were also small-ish but warmly decorated.    I was fighting a cold so the lack of a kettle was not convenient.  Two bottles of water from the fridge cost  €9.00 vs the Tea delivered from the restaurant that cost 3.50€.

The bathroom was clean and modern with Elemis amenities, but I found it strange that the only way to keep the door opened was to wedge a chair in between, esp since there was no ventilation.

I was here for three days/two nights.  On my second day I left my room at 9 am for breakfast.   Came back at 2ish to realize they have not yet cleaned my room, I napped for an hour- ish, left for more sightseeing and hung up the door sign for them to clean,  came back at 6 pm pre dinner and room was still not cleaned.  Went out for dinner at 7.  Came back at 9.  Again, no housekeeping/ turndown service.  I was planning to reuse my towels etc so it was not a big deal but still strange, a five star hotel would leave a note/card, or call.  Nothing at all from this place.

On the upside, great location, good food and live music at dinner (what else? Tchaikovsky), nicely decorated room (despite small size and tiny window), fast free wifi, and a good spa (enjoyed the deep tissue massage here).  This probably is the best place in beautiful Tallinn, just definitely not a five star.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
HotelierTallinn, Manager at Hotel Telegraaf, responded to this review, 11 May 2011
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your feedback here on Tripadvisor.com – a channel that we continuously observe as we do not only want praise, but also constructive criticism like yours. We constantly use feedback from our guests in our internal meetings and trainings in order to serve our customers better in the future.

Obviously it is a drawback in our continuous affords to please our guests and to make them feel very welcome, when I read a comment like yours to which I would like to answer the following:

Unfortunately I don’t know the exact date of your stay, but I can assure you that we usually do everything in our power to find the right room for our guests. We are well aware of the fact that not every guest has the same expectations and needs. This is why we do not mind to change a room allocation after arrival – provided this is at all possible (occupancy related).

Further on it is unsatisfactory to hear that your room was not cleaned at all during your stay. This is certainly not our standard and I would like to apologize for the shortcoming.
However, we found that sometimes guests are not paying enough attention to our differently designed „Do-not-disturb“ – „Please make-up-the-room“ information cards, which can be hung outside the door. Since they are not in the usual red and green colours, perhaps they got mixed up? We experienced this problem with other guests before and your comment convinced us now to change these cards in the weeks to come. We will try to make the new ones more user-friendly.

I dislike the fact to have disappointed guests and I therefore would like to offer you to contact me directly via email michael.stenner@telegraafhotel.com if you would like to return to our hotel in the not too distant future. I promise that I will make up for our faults!

Kind regards from the European Capital of Culture – Tallinn,

Michael JJ Stenner
-General Manager-
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2011

The hotel building is beautiful and inside just gets better. The interior is stunning and the rooms and bathrooms are lovely. Very spacious, comfortable big beds and very quiet. The location is brilliant - only 2-3 minutes walk to the main square. When we checked in, our room had two single beds and we'd asked for a double room. The hotel was full so we couldn't move rooms and they were very apologetic. They sent someone to the room who pushed the beds together and put a king size mattress over the beds. They also left us a bottle of champagne which was lovely. The hotel restaurant (Tchaikovsky) is lovely and the buffet breakfast was served in a beautiful room with a glass ceiling. The buffet was excellent and the fresh scrambled egg was divine. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel on every level.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple