“1st Class”
Review of Hotel Telegraaf

Hotel Telegraaf
Ranked #3 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Reviewed 3 October 2011

The entrance and staff at the desk were exceptionally cordial upon arrival.
The room was elegantly furnished. Overall the place whispered of class.
I was there but one night, wished I could stay longer.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 28 September 2011

My partner and I selected Hotel Telegraaf based on Tripadvisor reviews, the easy to navigate hotel's website, and timely communication via email with the hotel. We arrived at Tallinn by Linda LIne from Helsinki. The transfer bus from Tallinn ferry terminal took less than 10 mins and dropped us off at Viru Gate and from there, it was less than 10 mins walk to the hotel.

Check-in was fast and efficient. We arrived early and our room was ready. We had made a special request for a room on a high floor and we got it. Our Superior Room was modern and spacious. It had all the amenities you would expect. My partner went swimming in the pool which was a little small for doing lengths but nice to play around in. Breakfast was plentiful with lots of choices in a beautiful atmosphere. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2011

Earlier this month I was very fortunate to have stayed one week in Tallinn. And during my week in Tallinn I stayed at the Hotel Telegraaf. And I for one must say that the Hotel Telegraaf is well worth the splurge. I was taken by surprise on how just large my room was - an extremely comfortable double-bed, a lounge area with a sofa, chair and table, and spacious closets. I was also very surprised by how large the bathroom was. And the view of St.Olav's church and the surrounding buildings from my window, a picture perfect postcard view.

I found the internet access in my room via the flat-screen televisions - with a remote keyboard included in my desk - to be a very pleasant, and helpful, surprise.

I took advantage of the spa facilities. The pool and jacuzzi area was sublime - I was won over with the classical decor of the facilities. The sauna really did the trick (did it ever!), and the shower facilities were rather spacious. I must also acknowledge the woman who was at the front desk of the spa each time I was there - I found her to be quite helpful and friendly.

I found breakfast to be a feast each and every morning - the breakfast selection was very impressive. Despite some mornings being very busy, I found the staff at breakfast to be very helpful, friendly and kind.

Overall I found the front desk staff to be helpful. Nadja at the front desk deserves special recognition - she's very professional, helpful, kind and friendly, with a good dose of enthusiasm as well.

I can go on and on - and on and on - with praises for the Hotel Telegraaf. For my one week stay at the Hotel Telegraaf, it was an absolutely lovely and wonderful stay. Staying at the Hotel Telegraaf for one week, I treated myself to a memorable, special and wonderful splurge. I just fell in love with the Hotel Telegraaf. I have to say, the Hotel Telegraaf is one of the best hotels I've stayed in.

I found the Hotel Telegraaf to be a lovely, special, wonderful hotel. In the heart of the lovely, special, wonderful Old Town. In the lovely, special wonderful city of Tallinn. :-)

I hope to return to Tallinn - it's such a wonderful and special city. And if or when I return to Tallinn, I'll absolutely stay at the Hotel Telegraaf again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank ED44SF
Reviewed 27 September 2011

We've just got back from a 5 night stay at the Hotel Telegraaf. We would highly recommend the hotel and Tallinn and would definitely stay there again. I would say that we are quite choosy travellers and like to do lots of research before booking.

Firstly for location - the hotel is about a minutes walk from the old town square and is in the heart of the old town, but is on a quiet street so for us there was no street noise (but we were to the rear of the hotel).

The hotel itself was perfect for us. Our room was stylishly decorated, had a massive comfy bed with crisp white bedlinen (changed daily), sofa and arm chair and nice lighting options, good quality fixtures and fittings and like the hotel generally the blend of modern and traditional features worked well. The bathroom was modern and spotlessly clean with plenty of white towels and nice Elemis toiletries. There was a thoughtful attention to detail in the room/service generally - such as the bedlinen being turned down in the evening with a chocolate and bottle of mineral water provided and extra toitetries/combs/sewing kit etc. The travel cot provided for our 11 month old son had cute childrens bedlinen put on it with an extra baby blanket - which doesn't sound much but made us feel that he was actively welcomed and had been thought about.

All the communal spaces in the hotel were spotless, well maintained and stylishly decorated.

We found check in/ check out efficient and welcoming. There was plenty of room in reception and comfortable seating.

The hotel staff were all friendly, helpful and efficient.

Breakfast was delicious and set us up for the day! There was lots of choice on the buffet and on the menu. Again our son was made very welcome by staff (but for most of our stay was the only baby/child at breakfast and I did try and stop him grabbing the white linen table cloths, so not the most relaxing time for me!). It is served light, airy and beautifully decorated room. We didn't have any evening meals in the restaurant as the menu wasn't to our taste but did enjoy listening to the live classical music as we passed.

The spa is fantastic and a great extra after exploring the town. Again our son was welcomed (he was given a rubber duck to play with by a member of staff) - but was the only child in the pool when we visited (so don't be worried about seeing lots of screaming children!).

The hotel has more of an adult focus in terms of its style even though our son was really welcomed and catered for well. This worked well for us.

I would not recommend travelling to Tallinn if you are a wheelchair user. I managed to get around with a baby buggy but it was a struggle at times. Most of the shops have at least one step at their entrance with no ramps and there are cobbles everywhere (including some which look like boulders scooped off the beach at the sides of roads). Also, the pavements have intermittent channels in them for drainage which took some manouvering around.

Room Tip: Our room was at the rear of the hotel and was lovely and quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank 998ClaudiaS
Reviewed 25 September 2011

We booked 2 nights in the Hotel Telegraaf as part of a deal (spending 2 further nights at Padaste Manor). I knew when booking that I had gone for a reasonably nice hotels, but over all just liked the idea of going somewhere a bit different (Estonia) and staying somewhere where there was a spa!

Upon arriving at Tallinn airport we were collected by one of the hotels private cars (pre arranged by our travel agent). It was a quick 10 minute journey through the new town to the Hotel Telegraaf in the old town.

From the outside the building far stands out as one of a luxury hotel. When we went inside we realised we really had booked a very swanky hotel. Check in was quick and someone brought our bags to our room and explained all of the features.

The room was really spectacular, very high ceilings made the room feel a lot larger than it was, plenty of wardrobe space. A giant bed with 2 different types of pillows and possibily the softest cashmere blanket in the world. Bathroom was also spacious and full of elemis products, big bath and very stylishly decorated.

We had huge windows looking out onto Vene Street. The tv is good with a choice to pay for extra features such as movies. It can also be used to browse the internet although I have to say this feature is a little slow and the controls can be frustrating to use. We had our own laptop and there was a desk (complete with old fashioned telephone) we connected to the free wifi the hotel offers.

There is also a service cabinet, not something we had come across before. You leave for example your ironing in there with the sheet of paper provided filled in, press a button, close the door and the cabinet is accessed from the outside, your items are taken away and returned later ironed or washed or what ever you asked for, and a light comes on inside the room to tell you its been returned. This is great as it means you do not have to be disturbed at any point but can still get things done.

Complimentary fruit was brought to us shortly after we arrived, and being tired from the flight we decided to order room service. This was a choice from the hotels very fancy restaurant. If you are looking for comfort food then head out the door to any of the restaurants right outside the hotel and save yourself £30. Although the food was very nice, it was also very small portions. Not exactly what I had in mind when starving hungry and tired. We were also told when ordering they do not do chips/fries.. it was worth a shot.

Breakfast was a buffet with a big selection and very nice, although tea drinkers beware, black tea doesnt seem to be very widely available and the tea was very weak at breakfast. Service was friendly and the waiting staff seemed to speak amazing English as well as every other language!

We visited the spa (once we worked out where it was located!) and it was really really nice. Unisex changing rooms, but seperate male and female showers. When we went it was completely empty of other guests. The pool is small but good for just relaxing in, the jacuzi was also great. There are sun loungers, lots of towels. Apparently you could order drinks but we didnt. We used the steam room, (the sauna was out of order). I attempted to book a spa treatment but had left it really last minute so they didnt have any available for that evening. Although the staff did ring my room with a cancelation and went to every length to try and fit me in.

For lunch and evening meal we went into town as we just found the restaurant at the Telegraaf was too pricey and not the kind of food we like. In town you can find some fantastic food for really cheap prices. We kept returning to a restaurant recommended by a friend just off the main square (dont eat at the main square as you can pay the tourist price of 10 euros for a gin and tonic! but just down a side street you will pay 40 euros for a 3 course meal for 2 including drinks. GO TO Von Krahli Aed or just Aed, on Rataskaevu off main square, thats where the comfort food lives and it is the most delicious food I have ever tasted! Steer clear of 'Spice' a cellar restaurant lets just say you get what you pay for..

The Telegraaf is luxury and quality and very up market!
If I was in Tallinn again I would probably stay here (if I could afford it).
Make sure to visit directly across the road from the hotel is a building full of crafts, from pottery to a lady who makes stunning leather bound books, also glass making and products made from wool, as well as paintings and art. Also visit the market stalls and if you are leaving Tallinn to go into the countryside there arent really anymore shopping oppertunities.

Room Tip: Make sure to get at least a superior double for the stunning high ceilings and views get a room that...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2011

Great location in the heart of the old town. Luxurý all the way through, excellent breakfast, helpfull staff. Quiet rooms

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Just got back from 3 night stay at Telegraff - yes I would go back but its not as perfect as some reviews would have you believe.
Downside first :-
Small crushed reception - lots of arrivals at one time staff flustered, lots of rooms not ready ours was so OK
No lounge for guests to sit in and wait just small cramped area in reception - it looks elegant not sure it functions as well as it looks
Our room was on 6th floor, room fels small and cramped because of sloping ceiling made the room very dark, floor to ceiling narrow window - distant view to the sea near view not elegant but were in the centre of the old town so ...
The room only had one armchair it would have been a great room for a solo on a business trip but hotel please note if you book a twin there will be two of you and after a day of pounding the streets it would be nice to have soemwhere to sit either a chair each in your room or in a lounge that is not a corridor
Our twin room looked nothing like the ones on the web site or in the published blurb so disapointed
The floor and coffee table were dusty for the 3 nights we were there!
We only spoke to reception three times and never came away with the info we were looking for!

ON THE PLUS SIDE:
Location Location
The spa facilaties and Elemis products
Good breakfast options - but the dinning room is a bit cramped it is served in the intimate setting of theTchaikovsky restaurant which also needed a good dusting on the mouldings and bookshelves!
In short the room was adequate not great, breakfast OK, Locatoin fantastic, service average

Room Tip: Unless you are a solo try not to get the rooms along 613+
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends