“Lovely for a romantic stay”
Review of Hotel Telegraaf

Hotel Telegraaf
Ranked #4 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Reviewed 6 August 2010

Excellent hotel and the breakfast in the garden was the cherry on top.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,777)

Reviewed 5 August 2010

Wonderful boutique hotel in the heart of Tallinn's old town. Nice rooms, great spa, 5 star hotel with comfortable and unobtrusive service. Very reasonable price too. Highly recommend it.

Tallinn is a fabulous little town, great for exploring on foot over a couple of days, nice spas, friendly people and tasty food (local Estonian, Russian or other cuisines).

Go see it before it loses its charm!

Reviewed 1 August 2010

I stayed here at the end of July with a friend for a long weekend. We couldn't have asked for a better location: right in the heart of the Old Town but on a quiet road away from the most busy tourist thoroughfare. The twin room was modestly sized but very well appointed with a great shower, comfortable beds and all usual md cons. Beautiful outdoor terrace, perfect for a balmy summer's evening drink. Pool and jacuzzi very welcome after a day's sightseeing. Service efficient if somewhat muted/understated - this seemed cultural and a North American would perhaps find it a little below par. Highly recommend - better location than Three Sisters.

Reviewed 15 July 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Telegraaf for two nights as part of an independent, guided and self driving combination tour of the Baltic States. We started our trip by arriving by air from Stockholm, where we had been for four days. The airport is new, modern and very easy to navigate. We were met by a previously arranged driver who took us directly into the city and to the Telegraaf. It was around noon when we arrived at the hotel. The hotel's location is superb....just a few paces away from the central square of the old town. We happened to arrive on Cruise Ship day.....at least it seemed like it. The central square was jammed with day trippers and it was also Wednesday, which happens to be "market day"....once a week vendors set up their stands and sell the usual assortment of momentos, clothing, jewelry, souveniers, etc. and there was a some-20 piece band playing (mostly) American show tunes and marches. The atmosphere was festive for sure, but a little Disneyish at that moment. One of the attractions at the central square is the "oldest continuously active pharmacy in the world" , which is quite interesting. On our way into that store a team of pickpockets tried very hard to find something in my pockets to steal......they are good.....and plentiful in that square (believe me).....so beware and protect yourself. My money belt and my actively protective not-carrying-anything-of-value in a pickable pocket policy saved me from any loss.....my wife who was behind me said there were three of them......when they saw that they wouldn't find anything on me, my wife said the leader signaled the others and they quickly melted into the crowd and the crowd being a big one, melting away wasn't that difficult. As for the Telegraaf, it is a very up-market property. We booked a superior room, priced appropriately for the neighborhood. I don't know what the Standard Rooms are like but our room was cool and comfortable.....not overly spacious, but everything worked fine. The room safe would prove invaluable as you have just read above. I would say the staff are correct and efficient in their behavior but not at all warm; the young baggage porters are quite eager and tend to be more friendly than the others. Getting from the street into the reception area requires climbing several fairly steep steps, which will necessitate help with bags....which is readily available. The Dining Room is very formal and beautifully done......the breakfast is good but not great. They advertised that you get an omelet to order so I decided to try out the "chef". Clearly the cook who was making omelets that day didn't know how to make one.....what I received was more like a very salty pancake.....it was amusing......there was plenty else to eat, so it was not an issue. What I infer from that experience is that they aren't thoroughly familiar with western tastes. The hotel is also just steps from the Town Museum, which offers some very useful insights into the city's history...and includes a very helpful scale model of the city. Prices in the museums and restaurants are pre-tourism......reasonable. I believe that to really SEE and understand Tallinn and Estonia one should invest in a good guide. We did so and found that it turned our trip from a good one into an unforgettable one. You can read about our guide in the Tallinn Traveler Article on TripAdvisor entitled " Tallinn - Hire a Guide". The Telegraaf is a very good venue and I would recommend it to anyone.

2  Thank Roy P
Reviewed 9 July 2010

Tallinn, Estonia, is a wonderful, two-hour ferry ride across the Baltic Sea from Helsinki. The most wonderful surprise in that, also wonderful, medieval (old) town is/are the fortress walls ringing the town. You'll be amazed and awed by the enormity and massiveness of them, and, even more, by contemplating their construction at the time they and their turreted towers were built.

The second greatest surprise was the Hotel Telegraaf. I live in New York City, home to outstanding hotels. Furthermore, I'm somewhat well traveled, at least to the capitals of Europe. I don't know that I've more enjoyed a stay in a hotel or an experience in one. This converted post office/telegraph office is CLASS...in every respect: service, personnel, cuisine-dining, design, amenities, location—everything. If my writing this sounds gushing, well, it is. But it is not fulsome praise; the praise for the entirety of that hotel is warranted. And to think all this sits quite quietly in a medieval town.

2  Thank bikeadman
Reviewed 6 July 2010

A fabulous hotel in a superb location. Easy access to everything in Old Town but very quiet (even during a summer festival). The staff are helpful and courteous and the complimentary breakfast is excellent. A winner!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lizlubee
Reviewed 22 June 2010

We loved this hotel and were lucky enough to have a Junior Suite which was both stunning and comfortable. The staff were so sweet - nothing too much trouble. Good breakfasts - cannot comment on dinner as we did not eat there although the restaurant looked lovely . We chose to go to other places to eat as Russian food is not to our taste. Only complaint was the bathroom. Does anyone who designs bathrooms actually use them? It was so beautiful to look at but the individual shower had very poor pressure and the one in the (otherwise deep) bath was a joke. It was on a spring-loaded system to use and you had to be a very strong and determined person to carry on washing your hair!!
The courtyard was very pleasant and hard to leave when only 10 steps away was the "touristy" but nevertheless very pretty town square.When the cruise ships came in there was a huge influx of people and the streets were busy and very crowded which is why this hotel provided such a unique location. Quiet and peaceful, but then, I'm getting old!!
The Spa was nothing short of excellent - we both have had many treatments around the world but these therapists were fantastic and used lovely Elemis products. The pool is small but perfectly adequate. Highly recommended.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple