“Lovely hotel but the service was lacking”
Review of Hotel Telegraaf

Hotel Telegraaf
Ranked #4 of 85 Hotels in Tallinn
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel but the service was lacking”
Reviewed 13 February 2011

Booked two rooms 508 and 608 for four nights in the month of February for a surprise getaway to celebrate my friends engagement. This was a very special occasion and wanted to make sure it went like clock work . Emailed the
reservations manager and detailed the reason for our stay and wanted to confirm whether breakfast was included within our room. All my queries were promptly answered apart from confirming whether breakfast was included, I thought maybe it was. I also booked an airport pickup and confirmed this with the reservation manager with flight number and time. The day before we were to fly I recieved an automated email from the hotel manager confirming our stay which I thought was great.
I emailed back , confirmed our stay
And again our pickup.

Arrived at Tallinn airport and to my disappointment there was no one waiting for us, I was told someone would be waiting with my name on a board . We waited for half an hour but still no show so got a local taxi, not a great start!

Arrived at hotel where the welcome was average, I informed the receptionist that our taxi did not pick us up, he appologised and told me he would look into it for me, I have heard nothing since.

Checkin was relatively smooth and I was told what time breakfast was served from and assumed it was included as nothing was said to
contrary and no response my email

Bedroom was lovely, clean and spacious. My only real complaint in the room was that there are no tea and coffee facilities, I have stayed in many 5* hotels around the world where it's standard. In the morning I phoned room service and asked how much a pot of tea would be,
I was informed that it was complimentary but there would be a tray charge of about 8 pounds, so it's not complimentary ! When I asked if I could come down and collect it the response was no. 4 pots of tea over 4 days would be about 30 pounds in tray charges, come on hotel telegraph this is not good.

On our first morning went down to breakfast but felt up to that point there was still no clear answer on whether breakfast was included. Went to reception and was told that it was not included in our room rate which was fine but no one had informed us of this not for the want of trying to get this information

All in all a lovely hotel and probably the best in Tallinn, sadly the lack of airport pick up did leave a lasting impression and considering the occasion which I was assured by the hotel that we would be looked
after did not happen.

Stephen nicholl

• Stayed February 2011
2 Thank James8896

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 11 February 2011

We've recently returned from an excellent stay at the Telegraaf hotel. We visited Tallinn for four days in february with hopes to do some serious relaxation, enjoy spa treatment and experience some of the city's cultural sights. After browsing throught most of the available hotels we decided to treat ourselfes to some luxury at the Telegraaf.

The hotel is situated right in the heart of the old town and hence has a location few other hotels can offer. Since Tallinn is a small city everything is within walking distance. We even walked to the Kadrioru Loss (the tsar`s summer palace) which took us about 30 minutes. The hotel immediately gave a positive impression and the staff was very helpfull and attentive. Even though we had an executive room which is the cheapest choice available, our room was elegantly decorated and spacious. The bed was huge and extremely comfortable, and we slept "like a baby" in it.

Included in the price was also a nice buffet-breakfast. In addition they offer a free breakfast menu where you can order a selection of hot breakfast-dishes. The female part of meandyou especially recommends the pancakes. We also had dinner one night in the restaurant and it was a great contrast to the more medieval restaurants available.

The hotel has it's own spa department with a small pool, a jacuzy, a sauna and a steam sauna. It was a really nice way to spend the afternoon after a day out in the cold winter of Tallinn. We were quite lucky to have the area to ourselfes most of the time. As the whole spa-area isn't very big we assume that it can be crowded if there are many guests staying. We also tried some spa treatments offered and were happy with it although they probably aren't the most reasonable choice in town.

We recommend this hotel for those who want great location with a touch of luxury for a very reasonable price.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Kiev
Reviewed 30 January 2011

This hotel is an excellent choice for those who, like me, wanted to spend a few days in the city center, not being bothered to drive around and yet have a culture tour around the city.

Strong points of this hotel:
1) location: right in the city center;
2) cleanliness: my room was thoroughly cleaned every day;
3) amenities: unlike in other hotels, in this one I had everything what a 5-star hotel could offer without having to read the "If you need anything, please call us" card;
4) breakfast: simply amazing; great choice of fresh fish, fruits, coffee and delicious pastry;
5) professionalism of the staff: they genuinely were eager to help;
6) indoor facilities: pool and jacuzzi are just a great option to have when it is -10 outside.

Somewhat weak points are:
1) bed facilities: I found pillows to be somewhat soft and narrow;
2) poor choice of TV channels;
3) somewhat thin walls.

However, overall, one of the best options for a city break.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank MariyaUA
Staffordshire
Reviewed 26 January 2011

My wife and myself had a wonderful 3 nights in this hotel of immense quality. Everything was superb from the staff, restaurant and beautiful public rooms. Our room was delightful with a stunning view and fabulous decor with a splendid en-suite. The spa was also excellent for additional relaxation. The hotel is situated right in the heart of the Old Town in a quiet spot and easy access on foot too all the old towns delights. A fantastic place to stay in a fantastic city.

Vilnius
Reviewed 25 January 2011

This stylish hotel doesn't fall short on service, comfort or quality. I chose it at the recommendation of friends who live in Tallinn, and would do so again, even after visiting other top boutique hotels nearby. When my lost luggage was delivered by the airlines at midnight, the desk brought it to me as promised. Reception also held my luggage all day after I checked out, happily accommodating my requests to bring it to me so that I could add parcels of purchases.... the staff was friendly, competent and served with a warm smile. One of the most pleasant hotel stays I've had in a long time.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
toensberg
Reviewed 24 January 2011

Me and my husband had four days in Tallinn in January celebrating our 10years aniversary (marriage).
We had read abut the Telegraaf hotel at Trip Advisor,and every positive words about this
small luxury hotel is true! Great and friendly service.
Spacious classy room,really nice bathroom and very clean. The large doublebed was extremely comfortable. The breakfast was great,and with sparkling wine included in the buffet. The breakfast is served in the splendid restaurant "Tchaikovsky".
Unfortunately we did not try dinner here,but we will do that next time we stay at this hotel.
We also tried Elemis deep tissue massage in the hotel spa. A really fine experience.
The spa area was delicate. We definitely will return to this lovely hote when in Tallinl!

Woolstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2011

Hotel Telegraaf sits in the most perfect spot for visiting the Old Town*, the staff are friendly and polite we found nothing was too much trouble and the room was spacious with a very good bathroom, very clean and had a very large bed that was so fantastically comfortable that we didn’t want to get out of it. Tchaikovsky’s restaurant is quite small beautifully decorated and peaceful, the service is perfect you have as much or as little attention as you wish, with enough theatre thrown in to make it a very pleasant experience.
Breakfast was a delight and went on until 10.30, it is a comfortable experience with a buffet of everything continental and scrambled egg, bacon, sausage, tomatoes, mushrooms (cooked properly) and a great range of breads, toast and cereals and if that’s not enough there is an are A la carte menu of such things as Eggs Benedict, Pancakes with bacon or maple syrup, Eggs Royal, fried eggs and bacon, all cooked to order and included in the price of the room, Caroline said the Eggs Benedict was as good as the ones I make! The coffee was good and the water from Ty Nant in Wales it just doesn’t get any better.
We believe that the Telegraaf is a 5 star hotel with 3 star prices, we have stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Huston Texas, the Palace Vendome in Paris and holidayed at Sandals in the Bahamas and whilst some of the other rooms where slightly larger the over all experience at the Telegraaf was as good if not better.
The only thing we should say was that in the room waiting for us was a bowl of fruit and a half bottle of red wine together with a miniature of cognac, we assumed that these were complimentary as they were left out! however the wine and cognac were added to our bill as they had been left out to get up to room temperature! As we had thought them to be complimentary we consumed most of them and thought what a lovely gesture as they were replaced every day. This was a misunderstanding not a criticism and as soon as I pointed out that we had no way of telling that they were not complimentary they were removed from our bill.
We cannot imagine staying anywhere else in Tallinn and would recommend it to anyone.
*Old Town Tallinn, we have been to Disney on both coasts of the States and to the Keys (Disney for grownups) Tobago, Bahamas etc. Etc. but Disney couldn’t do it like Old Town Tallinn for plastic and paint at Disney, read real and medieval, beautiful, wonderful, Quiet peaceful, freezing and in January covered in exactly the right amount of snow.
You will not be disappointed
Phil & Caroline Evans