“Not quite the five star hotel you could expect”
Review of Swissotel Tallinn

Swissotel Tallinn
Ranked #3 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Our association booked facilities from the Swissotel Tallinn for five days for our annual European seminar. The booking for the facilities was done through Livonia traveld Ltd. (excellent service) and the hotel provided us with modern and very satisfying facilities for the seminar. Food was very good, pool and gym were spacious and technically everything in our room and at the conference facility worked smoothly.

The hotel is located within an easy walking distance (3 blocks) from the Old town of Tallinn and if you do not wish to walk there are always taxis available at the front of the hotel.

Business lounge on top floor is very nice and the staff at the lounge were extremely helpful and flexible.

But unfortunately the management of breakfast room staff and pent house bar did not meet our expectations. Our conference guests (60 people) often commented how difficult it was to get breakfast before the seminar. People are free to walk in as they please, so the management for breakfast staff do not know how many tables are free, should the extra rooms be opened to facilitate the hotel guests and many items were finished constantly. The staff was running around and obvisouly not knowing what to do, no management.

Also, we experienced a minor problem on our opening evening at the penthouse bar. Our reservation was not found (after two separate confirmations), the bar was supposed to be reserved for our guests only (which was not the case) and a small chaos was created 10 minutes before our official opening due to this. At the bar though, management worked actively to provide us the 5-star service we were hoping for.

Overall, decent location, great facilities, excellent business lounge, but some very unpleasant and big problems with the management of restaurant staff - something you would not expect in a five star hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Totti K
There are newer reviews for Swissotel Tallinn

Reviewed 10 June 2011

My partner and I decided to stay here for 1 night to enjoy a little luxury and relax in the spa during our hectic mini tour of the Baltic states.

THE VERY GOOD-

Check in was quick and the receptionist was friendly and spoke with fluent English, we were given the option to stay on upper or lower floors. We opted for upper and were offered a room on the 25th floor. You are requested to give a credit/debit card details as a deposit.

The room was stylish and spacious with king size bed and nice soft bedding, well stocked mini bar and in room expresso maker (I don't drink coffee so can not comment on the quality of coffee it produces)

Complimentary slippers, sewing kit, shampoo, soap, shower gel, body lotion and bath robes were available in the bathroom.

The bathroom itself is huge in comparison to many other hotels I have stayed in and had good size free standing bath, large rain shower all tastefully decorated.

The climate control was perfect at maintaining a comfortable temperature (no waking up freezing cold in the middle of the night like happens in so many other hotels).

All staff we met were friendly and attentive.

The view of the Harbour from our room.

The bloody mary's in the bar.

Breakfast plenty of choice for all tastes.

The spa which is complementary was very nice, we didn't have time for a treatment but enjoyed the pool, sauna and steam room which wasn't busy, we had sole use of the facilities for most of our time there. A well a equipped gym is also available.

Free Wifi in room was fast.

THE VERY BAD-

We often treat ourselves to a champagne Sunday brunch buffet or similar at a 5 star hotel whilst on our travels so we booked into the Sunday brunch at Cafe Swiss having read mixed reviews on previous posts we thought we would go with an open mind. Upon reflection I wish we didn't bother as this was by far the worst brunch we have ever had and really put a downer on what would have been a perfect stay.

We were greeted by the staff and shown to our table and given a welcome glass of champagne and given a bottle of water for the table after enjoying the welcome drink we realised we had not been given glasses for the water or no napkins had been laid on our table so we had to borrow some from neighbouring table. Ok this not a big issue but not expected at 5 star hotel.

Whilst helping ourselves to starters from the buffet we were besieged by approx 20+ (no exaggeration) children (approx age 5-14) stampeding towards us and scrambling at the buffet, I gave up instantly with the few pieces of food I had put on my plate opting to wait for the feeding time at the Zoo to finish (there appeared to be a children's party at the other end of the restaurant). Once they had finished we returned to the buffet which had been decimated so we returned to are table to wait for the buffet to be replenished. Once we were able to get our starters and managed to get back to our table without are plates being knocked from our hands by running children they were tasty and enjoyable, fresh tuna, tortilla wraps stuffed with chicken, cold meat selection, spring rolls, salads to name a few.

For main course there was a selection of 'Asian' dishes labelled as such things as chow mein, chop suey, stir fry, fried rice etc I took a small spoon of each. What a disappointment they were all vile the worst Asian food I have ever had the misfortune of eating, I can only assume it was an appalling attempt at Asian food by European trained chef(s) that should stick to what they are good at i.e European food. For example the fish/seafood noodle dish made with smoked fish I guess you could liken it to kedgeree but with noodles rather then rice just bizzare, the other stews etc had equally bizzare mix match of ingredients resulting in car crash flavours and textures.

There were also breakfast items available but we had already eaten breakfast so didn't fancy sausages and bacon again I was happy to see they had eggs Benedict which is one of my favourite breakfast items but as I suspected this dish is something that really needs to be cooked and served fresh so the hollandaise doesn't have time to congeal or the poached egg yolk to go hard as was the experience here.

We gave up on mains and just had more starters/salad which were tasty.

Our waiter was good and promptly cleared our plates and topped up our wine when necessary.

The aforementioned children again had decimated the dessert buffet which inspired me to try creme brulee as was one of the only desserts left which I usually hate but was pleasantly surprised it was really tasty. No sooner were the desserts topped up they were snapped up again by the mob of children having seconds, thirds and fourths.

The final straw was when I saw some of them eating directly out of the ice cream tubs and dipping fingers in other desserts well that completely turned my stomach I don't want to eat other peoples saliva and germs thank you very much!

I feel the hotel/restaurant staff should have done more to supervise the children or to ensure that adults/parents were supervising them.

In future they should consider setting up their own private buffet for such parties so they are not inflicted on other guests, if this is not possible then why not escort the children to the buffet in small manageable groups rather then one large mob all at once?

I do not not feel it is acceptable for 20 + children to be allowed to sprint through a busy restaurant when people are trying to carry plates of food and am shocked not one member of staff chastised them or spoke to their parents about it.

As for the food being grossly contaminated by dirty fingers and people eating directly from bowls that is just unacceptable by any standard.

If we wanted to be subjected to such behaviour we would have gone to Mcdonald's and probably would have had a better experience.

So in summary stay here for a relaxing stay but avoid the Sunday brunch at all costs!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FunkyJameseo
Reviewed 31 May 2011

I stayed here recently for one night whilst on business. The hotel is located an easily walkable distance to the old town and only about 10 minutes by taxi from the airport. I was very pleased with the size of the room, cleanliness and finish. Wireless Internet was also very fast (I was on the 26th Floor).

The reception staff and also the staff in the restaurant were pleasant and service was much better than I have typically experienced in other parts of the Baltics. I only ate a lunch buffet in the restaurant but this was good quality with plenty of choice.

Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 May 2011

The hotel is very stylish with great fittings throughout, the care they give their customers is also very good. But rather than write a lengthy report about style, great food in the restaurant there, fantastic views, nice quiet location, attentive staff; I will just note things that I was not pleased with - since the 'pleased with' list is too long!
1. The air-con in my room was stuck at 25oC, which is way too hot - I reported it on the first day, but it was not fixed.
2. There is no lock on the bathroom door - which is quite a nuisance when you have young kids running around. Whether you're using the toilet or having a shower, anyone can walk in!
3. The bedroom/bathroom is seperated by clouded glass panelling - it is totally see-through, especially when you have the lights on in the bathroom.
Apart from this, it's a top class hotel in every way. Would I stay there again? Yes - on a weekend, but midweek I'd opt for a hotel nearer the Old Town - since there isn't much noise there midweek. But I stress that this hotel is not much walking distance from the Old Town - circa 8 minutes.

Room Tip: ask for a room above level 15, facing the Old Town
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Philip6974
Reviewed 4 May 2011

Stayed for conference but travelled as a family. Couldn't do 4 in a room which was annoying meaning 2 rooms had to be booked so that made it dearer. otherwise, great stay. Walking distance to shops, pharmacy, entertainment & Old Town.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 3 May 2011

First off, and easy early check-in. Room on 20th floor with bath and shower. Great modern room and decor. Great service from staff. About 15 minutes walk to Old Town, and in more unforgiving weather this might have been difficult, but was fine in terms of distance
Coffee making machine not working unfortunately, and pillows too insubstantial, but what sort of a complaint is that!
Didn't have breakfast there so can't comment. Coffee bar in lobby was very useful, again with good service. Great view from 30th floor cocktail bar

Will be back!

Room Tip: Try 2005 (but beware the coffee machine!)
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank UKtraveller
Reviewed 12 April 2011

this is the best hotel that I have stayed at. A small but intime spa topped the stay.
exellent service.....
Like to move in permentlly

Room Tip: ask for an upgrade
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple