“Compare Swissotel with Radisson Blu next door”
Review of Swissotel Tallinn

Swissotel Tallinn
Ranked #3 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Dublin, Ireland
“Compare Swissotel with Radisson Blu next door”
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Just back from a trip to Estonia. We stayed at the Swissotel for 4 nights and the Radisson Blu for one night (stayed with friends in Parnu in between). I am putting the same review on the site for Swissotel and the Radisson Blu because they are right next door to one another and are very similar in style. It is walking distance to old town with 2 shopping centres within a stone’s throw. We had a lovely stay in both hotels. It really depends on what type of break you want as to which hotel is better. So the comparisons are:
Price – I booked the Swiss in May. It was slightly dearer than R.Blu., but it had higher reviews and it has an extra star. I looked at prices for the extra night in Tallinn after our Parnu trip. The Swissotel was 30 euro dearer online than R.Blu (Swiss was 110, R.Blu was 80). I asked at reception in the Swiss if they would be willing to give me a room at the same rate as I could get the R.Blu. They said the best they could do was €185 - €75 higher than the online price. I am always baffled as to why hotels do this. You can use their wifi to book a room much cheaper online than they will give you at reception! I’d been there 4 nights and had spent at least €100, over and above the room rate in the bar and spa. They would have had my custom for an extra night, but they weren’t willing to bend from €185. So I booked the Radisson Blu.
Breakfast was great at both hotels, but I think R.Blu has the edge for both choice and service. We didn’t eat dinner in either one, so can’t comment on that.
Roof level lounge in both hotels have fabulous views. Swiss isn’t open air – R.Blu has better views and the open roof area made it for me. That said my husband preferred the decor in the lounge of the Swiss. The SEB Bank ruins the views of the old town in the Swiss so the view is only of the Port from most rooms (I was on 21st floor). In the R.Blu I was on the 14th floor and had a great view of both the port and the old town.
Spa: The Swiss has a fabulous gym and spa with pool. R.Blu doesn’t have a pool - I didn’t get to see their gym so can’t comment.
Rooms – Both hotels have lovely rooms. The coffee machine in the Swiss is a really nice bonus. The mini-bar prices are dearer in the R.Blu, but it has more choice. The Swiss had bathrobes in the room. R.Blu have this at extra cost. I preferred the layout of the room in R.Blu, and I think it was bigger. Very odd bed linen though. We had a single and a double duvet for a king size bed.
Service We asked for extra pillows in R.Blu, they arrived within 5 minutes. Have no complaints about staff in either hotel, but I felt the staff were more attentive in the R.Blu. I suppose the episode about the extra night booking left a bad taste with the Swiss, a lesson they should learn from.
Overall, there are only minor differences between the two hotels. If a pool is important, I’d recommend the Swiss otherwise, my advice is go for the cheapest, which will probably be the R.Blu.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ideb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I enjoyed my stay at the Tallinn Swissotel.

The staff here is extremely nice and very helpful. The rooms are nice and the views are good. The location is about a 10 minute walk from the town square. The bed is good, but perhaps not as comfortable as I would have expected. The breakfast buffet was very nice! Wifi seemed to work in both the room and lobby.

I wasn't able to use the sauna (it's mixed gender and I had forgotten my swim suit), but I got a massage and the therapist did a great job. The staff at the SPA are also very nice and helpful.

I would highly recommend this hotel for business or pleasure if you're in Tallinn.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 29 July 2011

The hotel rooms are spacious and all having rather great views of the cities. The bathtub is really nice and the overall design of the rooms acceptable.The bed is very comfortable (this comes from a person who cannot sleep on just anything). The breakfast in the hotel is very tasty and the options numerous. However the price of this experience is rather questionable for estonian standards. Have been staying at the hotel numerous times and skip the breakfast option because the price is astonishing for Estonia. The Spa has a relaxing feel to it - however the temperature of the water is not suited for recreational bathing - only cardio swimming :/ LACK of a jaccuzi in the hotel is a big minus. The service is good, but some of the clientele needs manners. Especially when quarreling with the staff... but then again that's what happens all aorund.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 29 July 2011

the best city hotel ever and very2 great service.........

Room Tip: room are perfect and have own coffee machine.....
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank niinanordstrom
Mitcham, Vic
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We recently stayed at the Swissotel in Tallinn for a Conference. It was a long way to go from Melbourne, Australia but worth the trip.
Hotel is within walking distance to the Old Town and next to Hotel there is a big Stockman Store to shop and also has a Supermarket type store and liquor store. I was surprised at the quality of the food in Tallinn. Shopping also good with reasonable prices. Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful and the Horisont Bar was a great place to unwind with a cocktail or two with a great view.
Business Centre was up to our standards but AV could be improved.
Wi Fi Internet access is a plus as we were able to access our work emails and other info "free of charge" which is a big plus overseas!
The square in the Old Town is a great spot to have a cup of coffee and watch the World go by. They even provided a blanket to put over your legs to keep you warm whilst sipping your coffee.
Prices may go up when the word is out what a great place to visit.

The Old Town is a must see.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Narva, Estonia
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Stayed here for some 10 times and every time I liked it very much. Room is spacious, very nicely decorated, the bathroom is just awesome. There is a Nespresso coffee machine in the room with the selection of coffees and teas, and window views are all great. They have a nice swimming pool area with two saunas and this is complimentary for the guests. Breakfast is good, although it deteriorated since I was there for the first time. Quality of food is not the one it used to be. Also, in summer time, you might expect to stay in line to be seated for breakfast for quite a time. Oh yes, one bad thing: last time I needed extra bed for my child, I made a note of this when making a reservation, and reminded about it to the recepcionist during the check in. But quess what, I had to ask for this additional bed for three times, and they brought it to me at 21.30, when my child was almost asleep already.
However, it is a nice hotel, and perhaps the best in Tallinn.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Dog_in_the_fog
Reviewed 26 July 2011

The Staffs in the hotel are very helpful and professional. I left my passport & money in the safe after check out. The manager is very professional, efficient and helpful to accompany with me to go back to our room and find back all my belongings within 5 mins. The manager is very professional and efficient. The price of the room may be a bit expensive, but it is value for money, no matter on its service, spa and room's facility.
Here, I want to say thank you for the manager. She is really professional.

• Stayed July 2011