“Clean, modern, great amenities and amazing service.”
Review of Swissotel Tallinn

Swissotel Tallinn
Ranked #4 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Reviewed 15 October 2012 via mobile

We booked the basic rate room and it had great extras like a coffee machine, stand alone bath and bath robes. The rooms are clean and modern and quiet. Reception has a great peaceful vibe and the spa is luxurious. It's only 10 euros in a quick taxi from the airport and only 5-10 minutes walk to the old town. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012

Reviewed 12 October 2012

This hotel looks great, stylish, expensive and chic. But the outer wrapper doesn't match the substance - the staff are more interested in looking chic than in helping guests, the complicated lift system several times left me going up and down at random as my door pass failed to register in the slot and the bathroom was pretty unergonomic (shower water all over floor etc) even though it looked glamorous. I stay in hotels a lot and this is one I would avoid..

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Pardos
Reviewed 10 October 2012

About a ten minute walk from Tallinn old town this hotel has fantastic views from the high floors we were on floor 26 and there is a great bar on the 30th floor. expensive but worth it for the night views. Lovely cocktails about eight euros each. Rooms a great size everything you could need and excellent pod coffee maker. Great breakfasts full buffet style and a fantastic pool gym and spa. massages so relaxing. Would go to a swissotel again.

Room Tip: Go for a high floor for the views.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 October 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights and although the hotel in general is very nice, it definitely needs improvement if it wants to charge the rate it does.
The first night, I dropped a hairband underneath the table. When I went to pick it up, it was covered in dust. I started looking around and realized the maids here clean with their eyes and clearly don't spend the time cleaning areas that are not easily seen.
The first morning, we were rudely awoken at 730 am by a maid walking straight into our room. When we said "hello" she quickly apologized and retreated out of the room. I was confused by the fact that she was even able to come in because I know I had locked the door from the inside. I re-locked the door and as I turned around, I tripped on an iron that was full of water. Clearly she had come in to iron something because I know neither my boyfriend nor I had taken the iron out. We tested the lock out later. I stayed inside the room, my boyfriend went outside the room with the key card. I locked the door from the inside and sure enough, my boyfriend was able to walk right in after inserting the key card. As soon as he pushed down on the handle from the outside of the room, the lock came undone. I am not sure, but I think the people at this hotel have not quite understood the concept of having a lock on the inside of the room.
Not being able to go back to sleep after this, I took a shower. After a 15 minute shower, the bathroom floor was pretty wet and had completely made the bath mat useless because it was soaked through from the water that had leaked out of the shower.
The breakfast did not make anything better. The scrambled eggs were a complete soggy, mushy mess. The potatoes were dry and tasteless. The sausages tasted like plastic. I will say that the store bought danishes tasted pretty decent, especially compared to the rotten fruit they served. The coffee was to be expected if one was staying at a motel. This was the same breakfast we were greeted with every morning.
We had booked a massage for the last full day we were there. We didn't make much use of the rest of the spa amenities, so I can not say how they were. However, we were in the steam sauna for about 5 minutes before the massage, which was nice and relaxing, albeit small. My boyfriend and I booked a couples massage, which meant both of us in the same room received a de-stress massage. Because it was a de-stress massage, I won't complain about how weak the massuese was, even though I have ALWAYS been asked how the pressure was in every other hundreds of massages I have had. The complaint I will make though is that my masseuse had such long nails that she was scratching me more than she was rubbing my back. I couldn't relax and ended up more tense in both my shoulders and lower back by the time it was done.
When we checked out, I brought these issues up to the woman that was checking us out and seemed to dismiss all of the issues we had. Mind you, this was after we paid. I was not looking for a discount on our bill. I can see dismiss the shower and the breakfast and even the massage because the spa and hotel seem to be somewhat independent of eachother. However, to dimiss that their doors do not lock from the inside of the room and anyone with a key card can just walk in is a little disturbing.
The positive: The guy that brought up our room service was very professional and the food was incredible. The look and feel of the hotel is very nice and aside from the issues we had, you do feel like you are staying in a luxurious hotel. We had lunch at the cafe on the first floor and both the food and coffee were very good, although the massive brownie was very dry and tasted old. The espresso machine in the room was a nice touch. There is a Stockmann department store right next store with a grocery store, which was highly convenient.
I can dismiss the shower issue, I can dismiss the breakfast (next time I would just go to the grocery store) and I can dismiss the terrible massage (there are plenty of spas to choose from in this city), but I cannot dismiss the non-functioning lock on the door and the fact that I got the impression that this was not a big issue to them and therefore, I will never stay at this hotel again and I cannot recommend it. Tallinn, however, I will be returning to because it is a lovely city with a lot of charm.

Room Tip: The lock in room 1608 can be unlocked from the outside of the room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Krisable
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Clean and nice lobby. The staff was very professional, courteous and attentive. The room was by nice. Clean, modern and great view. The bad thing that I can say about the room was the shower design. Difficult to open door with towel and water would leak out. They put on a pretty good breakfast and staff is attentive. Same with lobby bar staff and food. Will have to try the spa and restaurant at top of hotel next time. Good location within walking distance to old town.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 October 2012

Staying here now (October 5-8) - great service, great breakfast, great location, just a chic, clean hotel with top-notch service and people. Highly recommended. Good value, too.

Only downside - bathroom is laid out in a very funky manner, and the toilet is wedged up against the shower. If you're over 6 foot/1.80m, you're going to have problems getting onto and off of the toilet.

Only complaint. Rest of the place is excellent!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2012

I had the pleasure of staying here as well as Hotel Telegraaf. I can safely say that this hotel is about as good as Hotel Telegraaf. In fact, the rooms are bigger here, the bathroom nicer, and the spa bigger. It perhaps lacks a bit of the uniqueness that Hotel Telegraaf has, but Swissotel makes up for this by offering an all round positive experience. It's located about a ten minute walk outside of the Old Town. I would highly recommend this place. Breakfast was lovely.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple