“Brilliant”
Review of Swissotel Tallinn

Swissotel Tallinn
Ranked #4 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Reviewed 14 November 2008

Stayed here for 4 nights including the weekend. Was given a high floor as I think requested it when booking on their website. The view looked towards the old town and included a nice view of the Nevsky Cathedral. The old town itself is a 10 min walk away, but this is a decent walk through the newer part of town including a large shopping centre.

Check-in was efficient and friendly, overall all the staff was excellent; always having a smile on their face and providing a polite greeting regardless of time (including 5am after staying out all night!)

The room itself was fantastic; very spacious although oddly shaped, with modern scandinavian furniture. The bathroom was large as well, with separate bathtub and shower with a decent amount of amenities. The bed was very comfortable, although the LCD TV could have been slightly larger.

Room cleaning was efficient, especially considering this was done upon request in the late afternoon on most occasions as I slept in very late.

Tried the restaurant on the top floor 'Horisont' for dinner one night. The food can be best described as modern European. It was decent fare although very pricey - more than anything else you're paying for the fantastic views of Tallinn from the city's highest vantage point. To get this without paying for the food, you can try the adjacent bar which has a reasonable atmosphere with prices that match any other bar in Western Europe.

Overall the Swissotel is a fantastic place to stay - I managed 4 nights and don't have a single complaint which is extremely rare for me. The well appointed rooms, the excellent staff and service, as well as location all combined with reasonable price makes this a top choice in my opinion.

• Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank liveforever

Reviewed 13 November 2008

Fantastic hotel with a good location. You can walk to the Old Town in 10 minutes. Spacious, modern and elegant rooms and public areas. Friendly and smiling staff. Breakfast is fantastic with a large choice of food. Nice touch with a chef to cook your eggs to order.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 October 2008

We recently stayed in Swissotel for two nights. We booked two rooms for our family; the childrens (10 & 13 yrs) room was connected to our room. They offer nice packages for families - the price for the two rooms was very affordable (considering that it is about the same, that we have previously elsewhere payed for a mini suite, where the kids sleep in a sofa bed).

The rooms very extremely stylish (≈ art deco, but not that decorative) and comfortable. Particularly the bathrooms were stunning, with black stone & italian glass mosaics (see the picture). Views over the town were magnificient. The rooms were very quiet - no noise from street or the corridor or the neighboring rooms.

The breakfast was excellent. The choice is not very wide, but I would say it is carefully chosen. We also tried the Cafe in the lobby. Their selection of cakes is mouth-watering. The restaurant in the top floor, however, is not open for children (at least in the evening), so we did not visit the restaurant. Instead, we ordered some "night food" from the room service. It was excellent, and the selection is good.

The swimming pool is in the 11th floor. It is a nice idea, as the views from the sauna are great (certainly different from the lakeviews in our own cottage sauna)!

The staff was perfect. They also gave us a good restaurant recommendation. We dined at an italian restaurant called Gianni and had an excellent dinner, enjoying beautiful environment and attentive service. (They flambeed the Crepe Suzette beside our table, when requested.)

I would say that Swissotel is great value for money! And luxurious experience!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 October 2008

Just come back from three days at this hotel and I can't rate it highly enough. We were collected at the airport by their driver and arrived to excellent service and an amazing room which had a stunning view across the bay from where you could see the ferries arriving, over to the red rooftops of the old town area. The rooms are luxurious and the bathrooms outstanding in their stylish design.
After selecting from the pillow menu (always the sign of a good hotel methinks) we tried the lobby cafe which was also an excellent standard.
The hotel is about a 10 minute walk to the old town but is well-worth this exercise and it's an easy route.
All the staff we met were extremely friendly and professional and they were always helpful.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2008

Booked 1 night for a birthday treat in Business Executive class, which includes free breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks and beverages at Executive Lounge in 28th floor. Our room was with harbour view in 29th, spotless of course and with good treats like Toblerone and apples. Food at the Lounge was delicious and the atmosphere was very relaxed. The service in the lounge was good, but could have been better, if you want to be picky - they should check more often that there is enough everything, like hot food, wine glasses etc. We were the only guests at Amrita Spa, 11th, and enjoyed sauna, steamroom and swimming pool. I think of the whole experience, I liked most the food lounge offered. If you book via hotel website and get a good deal, check your bill because we were overcharged. I think that is common in Tallinn hotels - the staff is a little, what would I say, careless.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank annemary
Reviewed 1 October 2008

I spent 4 nights at the Swissotel and for me, I'm happy to rate this hotel very highly.

The location is about a 10 minute walk to the Old Town but this takes you throught the main shopping area of Tallinn and about a 20 minute walk to the ferry port. The hotel is in a fairly quiet area but that's no bad thing as it's nice to be slightly away from all the goings on of the Old Town.

The hotel itself is modern and the staff extremely helpful, offering any advice or help you require ( the concierge will give you an excellent pocket map of Tallinn so need to buy one). The modernity of the hotel may be not be for everyone but I couldn't fault the style, service or my stay in any way

The rooms, though it's not what everyone wants from a hotel , are very up to date, bright and spacious. LCD TV, huge bed, floor to ceiling windows, (offering great views form the 25th floor which I was on), coffee maker and mini bar- the bathroom was superb with all the little touches you'd expect from a quality hotel ( bath robes, toiletries, etc) and the shower was just huge. It also had both a standard and power shower. Another nice touch is the under floor heating in the bathroom.

The hotel has 2 restaurants, one of which I ate in one evening - the Cafe Swiss. Food was fine and reasonably priced. This restaurant is open most of the day for breakfast, lunch or evening meal and offers a decent selction of dishes. On the ground floor is also a small snack bar where you can have coffee, light bites or pastries - there's also a small bar if you fancy something a bit stronger.

The hotel also has a small gym, swimming pool and a steam room and sauna - after a day out and about it was actually nice to come back and use these facilities. For those wanting a bit more pampering, you can book various spa treatments.

Having seen quite a few of the other hotels I was considering from reviews on here I'm very pleased I chose the Swissotel. I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find fault with the Swissotel but I genuinely had an excellent stay and will certainly look to stay at other Swissotels from now on in. This hotel certainly gets a big thumbs up from me

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank BeanoSurrey
Reviewed 13 September 2008

Using past reviews as a guide I booked four nights for my wife and I and we can only endorse all the positive things already written about this hotel let alone Tallinn itself. Rather than repeat superlatives I will note that we treated ourselves to dinner one night in the top (30th) floor restaurant and although pricey by local standards it was worth it for the views, service and not the least food. We paid £84 a night but during a day trip to Helsinki I saw the hotel advertised on a promotion at just 84 euros, good luck with finding that deal! One other thing; local taxis whilst metered set their own rates, do not grab the ones that lurk near the entrance on the main road, they are generally older model Mercs, the desk will call a cab for you and it will come right up to to the door and despite being a nice new shiny black Mercedes the going rate will be about a third to a half of the unofficial competition and yes we found out the hard way.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple