“World-Class Modern Luxury in Tallinn”
Review of Swissotel Tallinn

Swissotel Tallinn
Ranked #3 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Dallas, Texas
“World-Class Modern Luxury in Tallinn”
Reviewed 25 September 2009

For this trip, I was torn between the Telegraaf and Swissotel, and decided to go Swissotel because the Telegraaf was twice as expensive due to a great promotion on the Swissotel website.

The hotel far exceeded my expectations in virtually every way. The rooms are large, stylish, immaculate, and comfortable, with large and excellent baths. Noise supression was excellent, both in terms of interior and exterior noise.

As others have mentioned, the pool and spa areas are beautifully done and carefully maintained. The spa area was actually better than most I've experienced in Europe, even compared to more expensive brands like Regent and Kempinski, so fit it in your schedule if you can.

It is true that Tallinn is compact, so much so that I was wanting a little exercise and walked off the ferry and over to the hotel. It takes about 10 minutes to walk into Old Town if you are clicking along pretty well, so the short distance is no issue in pleasant weather. However, if I were there in the biting cold, I would very seriously consider the Telegraaf just to actually be right in the Old Town.

As others have mentioned, the staffers generally are very young, but they took excellent care of me, were helpful and informative, and I appreciated their energy and charisma.

For some reason, I anticipated I would see the Old Town from my upper floor room, but a tall building immediately adjacent blocked that view. The view to the harbor was unobstructed from my room and was very nice, but I somehow expected an Old Town view. Given the size of the building next door, I would think very few if any of the rooms would actually provide the Old Town view most people paying a bit extra would hope for.

Tallinn is an extremely beautiful city and worth a weekend trip or a stop on a longer itinerary.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2009

I'm lucky enough stay in the Swissotel frequently for business and am always delighted by the standards set by the hotel. The rooms and decor - especially the bathrooms - are amongst the largest and most impressive I've stayed in. (I've been upgraded to suites in Asian properties that aren't as big as the standard rooms at the Swissotel.)

The breakfast selection is phenomenal and I'm always pleased to find that they'll cater for those with dietary restrictions; they always have soy milk if I ask for it, for example. The fitness center is well equipped too, and the spa and pool are quite stunning.

If I were to pick a couple of minor faults (and I do mean, minor), is that the room service food is a little bit hit and miss and there's a general sense that all the employees in the hotel are quite young and thus junior. The only time that this is ever a problem is if something goes a little bit awry and they don't have the experience to deal with it. Fortunately, it's rare that you'll have any cause for complaint.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
Johnson City, Tennessee
Reviewed 31 August 2009

We stayed in this hotel for a couple of nights. Very good rooms, nice an friendly staff. The have a very good breakafst with all sorts of food. A pool and sauna. The only problem we had, was that the A/C didn't work, but they changed our room right away. The bar in the lobby serves pretty good drinks. The 2 rooms we saw had both a fantastic view all over Tallinn.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
San Diego
Reviewed 22 August 2009

If you can afford to stay here then do. Its about a five minute cab ride from the port and a five minute walk to old town. The staff was super friendly and helpful. The room was one of the best that I have stayed in. The breakfast is also one of the best in Europe. Madonna's tour people stayed in the hotel at the same time we did. The views from the room are great. If you can stay here than do so...you wont regret it.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 17 August 2009

Great views, great staff. Everything worked just fine. Beautiful big rooms with huge beds and a bathroom with a fancy rain shower. Nice and quiet pool and saunas with a city view. And the best thing? It costs under 100 euros..!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dlfl
Hertfordshire, England
Reviewed 16 July 2009

We stayed at the Swissotel Tallinn for 4 nights in July. It's the first time we've stayed at a Swissotel and we'd definitely use this hotel chain again. The hotel was spotlessly clean and very stylish in design.
We had a corner room on the 14th floor which had floor to ceiling windows on 2 sides with excellent views across to the port and out towards the airport. The room was well appointed and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was beautifully decorated with small mosaic tiles in shades of copper and dark brown.
We had buffet breakfast in Cafe Swiss each morning and it was delicious; the choice of hot and cold food was very good and the quality couldn't be faulted. We also had a cocktail in the bar on the 30th floor one evening.
We used the pool, sauna and steam room a few times during our stay, although the pool was pretty cold for our British tastes! The whole spa area was again very clean and very stylishly decorated. It was also interesting to have such a great view of the city from the sauna!
The hotel is in a good location, less than 10 minutes by taxi from the airport and the ferry port (the taxi fare from each of these places to the hotel was equivalent to about €4). It is also roughly a 10 minute walk through the pleasant shopping area to Tallinn Old Town.
The Old Town was beautiful and had plenty of character. We would defintely recommend Olde Hansa restaurant just off the Town Hall Square for a delicious medieval style meal and Hell Hunt bar for drinks.
We also had a day trip to Helsinki with the Viking Line ferry company. The ferry was modern and comfortable and took 2.5 hours to cross the Gulf of Finland. Helsinki was a lovely place although extemely expensive. While we were there we also spent time at the former sea fortress of Suomenlinna, which is also well worth a visit.
We would definitely recommend the Swissotel for a stay in Tallinn and also a day trip to Helsinki time permitting.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WelshFee
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2009

Stayed here for 4 nights to celebrate my husband's birthday. We got a fantastic deal at 85 pounds per night for an executive room on the 29th floor with access to the executive lounge. The room was spacious with a good view towards the edge of the old town. Unfortunately it was overcast for the duration of our stay so the pics aren't great. The bathroom was lovely, tub deep and inviting, heated floor very comforting and the toiletries were good. The shower was large enough for two but we weren't too keen on the rain shower head, preferring a power shower.

The executive lounge was nice, open for lunch from 12-2 and dinner from 6-9 I think. Food was nice with daily soup and bread and a selection of salads and pates. There was a choice of 2 meat dishes and one veggie, with veg and potato sides and a selection of desserts. Drinks consisted of bottled spirits and red wine which were set out so you could help yourself and bottles of mixers, beers and white wine were available from the fridges. My only grumble was the repetitive muzak cd which was played on loop all day and night. The lounge was shut on Sundays when vouchers were given for the hotel bar and the Cafe Swiss restaurant on the 6th floor. Neither myself nor my husband particularly enjoyed our meals in the Cafe Swiss, believing that the chefs had chosen style over substance as the taste did not match the presentation. Breakfast in the Cafe Swiss was excellent though and a chef was on hand to cook eggs and omelettes to order.

Staff were friendly and helpful, however could not tell us of any bars open on a Sunday night - we went out for a walk thinking everything might be shut in Feb but managed to find two late night bars, neither of which I would recommend as both seemed a bit dodgy. On the last night, I sat on the bed and it seemed to sink under me. I lifted the mattress to see that several of the slats were not in place and had fallen down. I reported this to the lounge assistant and I was promised it would be repaired. On returning to our room hours later, the bed had been made but it has not been fixed, however I managed to sleep in it and reported it again when we checked out.

The location of the hotel is good, on a straight road from the airport which can clearly be seen from the west facing rooms. I would stay here again although I got bad vertigo even whilst lying down, obviously the high life is not for me!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple