“Great option for Tallinn, close to centre and great facilities”
Review of Hotel Braavo

Hotel Braavo
Ranked #48 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Reviewed 23 July 2012

This is a really good choice for a reasonably priced place to stay in the old town of Tallinn.
The rooms are large, clean and "bright", with lots of natural light. Yes they are yellow and orange, but they just feel warm and sunny :o) This really is not a down point. Everyone I was here with (12 of us) really liked the bright rooms.
The slightly more expensive rooms are less orange/yellow, and also have small kitchenettes.
You have free use of a well stocked gym, and there are also saunas available. There is also good, fast, free wifi in all the rooms.
The hotel is located right on the edge of the old town, just 5-10 mins walk from the main town hall square, and everything else. The ferry terminal is also only about 10 mins easy walk away.
The breakfasts are indeed a little basic, bread/toast, cheese, ham, cereal. But there are other good options nearby.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
mann700, General Manager at Hotel Braavo, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

Good Day
Thank you for finding time to write a very positive feedback about our hotel.
I am happy that enjoyed your stay and Tallinn!

Reviewed 6 July 2012

We stayed here for 5 days this July our party consisted of myself, my partner and my 15year old son. We liked this hotel on Expedia as it was reasonably priced,in the old town, had self catering and could fit all three of us in.
I had read the reviews on trip advisor before I left and decided to make up my own mind upon arrival.

So plus points.....

It is very central, cheap,functional, some UK TV channels, fab free wifi, underfloor heating in the shower room and we really enjoyed the breakfast!...oh and my son loved sleeping on the sofa!

The room was brightly coloured (think lime and orange tictacs) There was a mezzanine floor reached by a very steep open staircase with three single beds....that reminded me of army bunks.
So my partner and i had the beds upstairs and my son converted the sofa into a MASSIVE bed for himself!!!
Functional ikea type wardrobe and chest of drawers with separate toilet and shower rooms.

Needs improvement:-
- There was no ventilation at all... no windows that could be opened, and we had to prop the door open with a towel to let some air in... Now I appreciate that this is a Scandanavian country but it still gets hot in the summer!... it was in the 30s (centigrade) every day!......I asked at reception for a fan and I was offered a heater that had a cold setting that didn't work.... in the end i moved the mattress from my bed down to the front door and slept with the door open!..madness!

- We would have loved to eat in.. but there was only a microwave and a two ring electric hob. no cooking utensils, 1 frying pan and 1 saucepan.....There were no plates either!...there was only cutlery, 4 glasses and some cups and saucers...

All in all.. it was functional!.....oh and if you like to work out on your holiday.. the gym and sauna is free.

I think with a little more thought it wouldn't take much for this Hotel to be rated 4/5 in my view...just get some fans!!!!!!

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a window if travelling in the summer
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank randasgettingthere

Good Day
I appreciate Your feedback. It was very detailed. This year has been very exceptional and very cold all the time. But of course there has been some weeks when it was very warm. We have never had air-conditioning in our guest rooms and at the moment I don´t see that we will equip our rooms with that. There is though one standard room without a window where we will set on up. In the Apartments we have a small kitchenette equipped with basic kitchenware. I am happy that in general You loved your stay!

Reviewed 12 June 2012

This hotel is weird. The colours are bright orange and greens, the rooms are basic beyond belief and the TV signal is poor and the breakfasts are extremely basic.

We stayed in 3 hotels in Estonia and this was the worst by a country mile.

It does have a spa and gym but it seems to have a timetable for men and women so not much use for a couple.

On the plus, our room was quite, it had parking and it is located right outside of the walls.

However I would not stay here again and would choose the other hotel I reviewed in Tallinn.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Good Day
Thank you for your feedback!
Our rooms are bright and colourful and I am sorry that you didn´t find that beautiful. Our advantage is definetly parking in front of the hotel, location in the old town and rooms are big. We don´t have a spa here and maybe that´s why You got confused. We have a pretty big fitness center with a gym and different saunas. But yes, saunas are separately for women and men. In the spa hotels they might be together. Our new water center is opening in 2013 but still it won´t be a spa as it remains a fitness club.
Hotel Braavo

Reviewed 20 April 2012

You'll either love or hate the Braavo - as previous reviews prove. Guide books always mention the bright colours on the walls, but you need to know the hotel really plays second fiddle to Estonia's biggest gym which is part of the complex.

It's more like an upmarket hostel than a hotel. Facilities are basic but clean and adequate. The breakfast isn't very good but the prices are so reasonable, you shouldn't really complain.

Good points - free parking in a city with few and expensive facilities. Free admission to the gym and sauna. I tried the latter and it was good. Great location just a couple of steps from the old town. Families will like the Braavo. There's a big supermarket nearby if you're self-catering.

Bad points - well, it's basic. There's an unfriendly system to get into the car park, best to park somewhere near and walk to reception to arrange to get past the barrier. NB it's very busy with gym people in the early evening. Skylights in upper rooms mean you wake up early! I can well believe reports of noisy aerobics sessions although we found it quiet - until the bin lorries arrive after seven.

Would I stay there again? Yes! But it's not a luxury place - best to spend all day enjoying Tallinn instead of lurking about the hotel.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms near the gym if you want to sleep in
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Farehamvoyager
mann700, Manager at Hotel Braavo, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2012

Good Day

Thank you for bringing out the things that You liked and the as well things You didn´t find so good. True, our biggest values are location in the old town, free parking and a good value of money. As You said we are not a luxury hotel but if You are looking for a good accommodation in the old town then that is what we are offering. Our staff is friendly and always there for You. We give a parking card for each client so they wouldn´t have to come here every time they need to leave the parking place. To me it seems that You didn´t have it. I am sorry that You had come to the reception every time You needed someone to open the gate. I hope to see You on Your next visit to Tallinn!

Reviewed 13 April 2012

location was great! shower was excellent!price was good! breakfast was ok! but......room was right about aerobics studio with classes starting every hour from bout 7am! music blaring nearly caused the whole room to shake! all well and good if you're an early riser but not so good when you've sampled the local beer the night before-also housekeeping didn't change our towels on the first day and phone to reception didn't work! overall 2/5

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank nomadnicky
mann700, Manager at Hotel Braavo, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2012

Good Day

Thank you for Your honest feedback. I read that from many places that there are some rooms which are below the aerobic class and people can not sleep in the morning. This is a problem that we need to deal with. In summer time it is not a problem since the sport club is not working that actively. But yes in winter time it is not so pleasant. Today I can only promise You that we will try to work it out this summer that in future nobody would have to suffer about it. Still I hope that You enjoyed Your stay and Tallinn.
Sincerely Yours

Reviewed 4 March 2012

We have just returned from Tallinn, where we stopped at the Bravvo Hotel.
If the reception, try to put you into rooms 301 to 309, refuse them !
These rooms are directly over the gym, where the aerobic classes begin at 08:00am.
The sound of pulsating disco music, coupled with the instructor shouting out commands, at this time in the morning is intolerable.
The rooms are very basic, and the breakfast, is poor.

Room Tip: find quiet rooms
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
mann700, Manager at Hotel Braavo, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2012

Good Day

Thank You for choosing our hotel for stay in Tallinn. As I wrote in my response I am fully aware of this problem and can just tell You that in the summer time we don´t have any aerobic lessons and it is not interrupting our customers. In winter time I know that twice a week we had a morning class and sometimes the music might have been too loud. At the breakfast we serve boiled eggs, porridge, warm sausages, cereals, yogurth, 2 different juice, water, milk, coffee, tea, toast bread, cheese, ham, fruits, tomatoes, cucumbers. I am so sorry if some items were ran out because the variety itself is good.

Reviewed 17 February 2012

Booked hotel through an online booking website that I have used numerous times with no problems and also use in work so am aware of its capabilities.
When the group arrived at the hotel, the numbers had dropped but on explaining this to the hotel they were happy to change triple rooms to twin rooms, Then when the bill was being paid we learned that the hotel decided to still charge triple room rates and they gave a nonsense story that all rooms are the same and they just put in extra beds. They were happy to move guests to twin rooms which are always cheaper, leaving them with triple rooms free to sell but charged triple room prices. Completely unhelpful and borderline rude. Unwilling to do anything with this situation even as a good will gesture.
The food is also terrible so a disappointing trip all round. Just avoid.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Shivers2612
mann700, Manager at Hotel Braavo, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2012

Good Day
As I was trying to explain in my several letters, it was not the case. Iif You have a booking through Booking.com that means You should modify Your reservation yourself. You knew it for a long time that the number of guest is less but still expected the hotel to make the changes on the day of arrival. Our hotel was full that day and we had chosen the rooms to the guests as it was indicated in the booking form. It was impossible for us to change the rooms. We always try to help clients if they have some questions regarding their reservations and as well we do change the reservation if it is very urgent and clients don´t have any access to the internet. I completely undertsand that these things can happen and it is our duty to offer the best service. I am still sorry that our communication didn´t meet up Your expectations and hope that You won´t have the same misunderstanings in the future. Best regards, Annika Ülem