“Surprise menu will be the highlight of your fancy evening out!”

Restaurant Hermitage
Ranked #54 of 955 Restaurants in Tallinn
Price range: US$5 - US$23
Cuisines: European, French, Russian
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: At the Hermitage - one of the finest of Tallinn restaurants - visitors get carried away by Russian culture. Located in the oldest operating hotel in Estonia, in hotel St.Petersburg - the traditional meals of these two nations (Estonian and Russian) have been modernised. The restaurant's menu offers a large variety of snacks which you can enjoy with other delicatesses of Russian cuisine. Not to mention, the menu includes classics like Russian borsch, chicken Kiev and beef stroganoff.
Hollola, Finland
“Surprise menu will be the highlight of your fancy evening out!”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

This is maybe the best restaurant visit I've had in Tallinn, and Tallinn has many great restaurants to offer. The decor of the restaurant is classy, yet comfortable. My husband and I had six course surprise menu. They were totally ok with my request that I do not want to have any "herring surprises, anything else goes". All six courses were very good - if you can, take the wine package too to complement the food (the combinations were truly surprising, interesting and tasty). The price of the food and wine were really affordable considering the quality of the food and service. Service was excellent, professional and friendly! I can say nothing but great things about this place.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Touhula

• Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Greenville, South Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food and service”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We had a lunch in Tallin and we wanted to avoid the main market place and the restaurants around it. Bu browsing we found this Hermitage-restaurant. The apertizer delicious bread was served with a selction of different butters, and the main course of venaison was great. Servings were well placed on the plate so it gave something to eat for the eyes as well. Staff was very friendly and nice in the restarant. Great place to visit a little bit aside from the market place rush.

1 Thank HANNIIR
Tampere, Finland
“Excellent experience with a suprise menu”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

This is the restaurant you must visit, when being in Tallinn. Very near the main square you can find it by passing Restaurant Kuldse Notsu Kõrts (Restaurant Golden Piglet Inn serving Estonian food) and Restoran Beer House (one of the best beers in Tallinn) along Dunkri up to the Rataskaevu and there it is on your right. The only regret I have is that the weather was so nice that we with my wife decided to stay on the terrace and didn't see the nice interior (found it afterwards ;-().

The restaurant has a strong Russian flavor with the taste of pleasures. The Hermitage Restaurant is located in the oldest operating hotel. Chef Heimar Kuuskler has brought modern ideas to the traditional Russian cuisine. We were really positively suprised with the chef's menu we order on a hot July evening. 6-course menu with selected wines were a nice combination of tradition and modern cooking. Served dishes were tasteful but also really beautiful. Selection of wines was ... suprising (go and see, you will not guess!) but just to the point!

Warm recommendations and enjoy!

--but remember to visit the interior, too. Next time we will.

1 Thank HVHakala
Turku, Finland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“High quality food with excellent service”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We had a quick visit in Tallinn, but we wanted to eat well. On Friday evening, the crowd was a lot of traffic, and many options to think about in advance were already full, so we end up with it just so happens that the restaurant. The restaurant is located in a lovely location in the heart of the old city.
But, fortunately, this restaurant was absolutely wonderful and the food was perfect. Each mouthful tasted new flavors and the food was well-prepared, the presentation was amazing and precisely thought out.
The menu was a little limited, but varied enough.
I chose the main course of chicken Kiev, which was just incredibly juicy and the best chicken I've ever eaten. And I've eaten a lot of chicken! Appetizer, main course, dessert and water for a total value of less than EUR 30, which I think is cheap so good and tasty, as well as a high quality meal. Fresh, warm bread and three different types of butter were a wonderful surprise!
Waiter was very knowledgeable, natural, stunning and professional.
I recommend restaurants for anyone who wants a stylish restaurants with low price and a delicious new taste experience of the Baltic countries.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank MMariMM
San Francisco, California
“Superb nouvelle Russian cuisine by a dedicated and talented chef”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This restaurant, which is connected to a hotel, is really extraordinary. For the prices charged, and the sidewalk cafe ambience, the food being served is of the highest possible calibre. I am quite honestly surprised that this restaurant is not Michelin starred. The food is exquisite, superb. Nominally Russian, it is very subtle, expertly prepared, and beautifully presented. Amazingly, you can pretty much wander off the street to eat here (we got reservations just to be sure) and you won't at all bankrupt yourself or overly damage your travel pocketbook. There are many, many –– almost too many, frankly –– restaurants in overly-touristy Tallinn. (How I wish I came here ten years ago, but that's another story.) For starters, my wife had the blinis with smoked salmon. I had the sous-vide (basically, quickly poached salmon) salad. We were both in heaven. For mains, she had the pike-perch with celery/apple puree; I had the duck breast with pureed potatoes, false morel sauce, and roasted heart of duck. Both were everything one could want. Everything was served by our hard-working waiter, who managed to serve all the tables indoor and outdoor all by himself. Apparently, they were understaffed the night we went. But you wouldn't notice it, so good was the service.
We are seriously considering going back for our last dinner in Tallinn, despite the competition in this overly-restaurant heavy town. Whether or not we do, I can say this: this place is REALLY GREAT. You will definitely love it.

2 Thank Rick049