“smart hotel”
Review of Hotel Euroopa

Hotel Euroopa
Ranked #15 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Reviewed 27 January 2012

we stayed for 4 nights, the room was on the 5th floor overlooking the town, it was huge, warm and clean with a king size bed and moder decor but not well designed and had a lot of wasted space. we had a mini bar but didn't use it as too expensive. the bathroom was a good size hot water not a problem. breakfast is buffet served in the main dining room which is very comfortable and looks out onto the water front, the food is plentifull and varied serving hot and cold dishes to suit all tastes really impressive. you can eat lunch for a reasonable charge, but the evening meals are a lot more expensive we didn't dine there for evening dinner. the reception area is pleasant, the staff helpfull and fluent in english. you can reach the old town in about 15mins slow walk or take the free mini bus operated by the hotel, and as it is situated right by the ferry terminal you can have a trip to helsinki in 2hours for about £70. there are plenty of shops located by the hotel. tallin is a great cultural experience and i would stay at this hotel again for its location

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank judith m

Reviewed 21 January 2012

The hotel is located next to the ferry terminals, which is convenient if you are planning a trip to Helsinki. We had a fantastic view on the sea with flocks of swans and ducks. The walk to the city center is only about 10 minutes and there is a hotel minibus that takes guests downtown 3 times a day.

The rooms are well-designed and decorated with natural materials, with very comfortable beds, and equipped with an iron and iron-board. Dressing gowns and slippers are also provided. Free internet is another advantage. The room rate included a morning sauna but we never got there so cannot say anything about it.

The hotel restaurant offered very good breakfast with a lot of options; lunch was available for just 15 euros or you could just have a main course for 7 euros. Very good food.

I would recommend it to anyone who wants to be closer to the sea. Tallinn is not a big town so you can easily walk to most attractions

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea view. The room on the 6th floor is I think the only one with a balcony.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank miroma
Reviewed 13 January 2012

For sure the hotel is worth the money for it. Big clean rooms, excelent breakfast (the best samon I've ever eaten ). It's close to the sea port, from which you can reach Finland in two hours. The building is a bit old Soviet style, but it's well refurbished. There is a big hypermarket just next to the hotel, so you can save some money for minibar. The location is not quite the central one, but since the city is small you can reach the Old City in 15 minutes by walk. The free internet speed is average. The gym is quite small but well equiped.The staff is very friendly. I certatainly recommend this hotel for all types of trips.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank shourique
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I stayed one reward night late December 2011 and experieced a spacious room, good beds, excellent breakfast, good location only 10 minutes walk from the old town district.

I was a little disapointed though as a Choice Club member not to be allowed a late check-out.

I will surely go back to this hotel!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 December 2011

Although it was expensive (130 euros/night booked 1 week before arrival) it was worth it. They let us check in earlier than the official check in time, it was right near the port D Terminal, close to the city as well, large rooms, wifi free without password or tokens that expire or anything like that, double king size bed, really good breakfast with everything. The best point (although it didn't look so at the beginning) was that the floor in the room was parquet and not a rug. Now, this may seam weird and unconfortable, but I appreciated it because it can be properly cleaned always ;)

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2011

We stayed here 3 nights for a citytrip Tallinn. The location is nextdoor to the ferry Terminal and busstop (bus to the airport) and a bit outside of the centre but as Tallinn isn't so big, you take a 10 minutes walk and you fidn yourself inside the city walls.
The rooms are rather large, the reception staff is great, but what could improve is the breakfast. The tables are dirty, the food is lying around, it all looks a bit unorganized... But overall we had a good stay here!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view over the Ferry, the other side is just overlooking a parking
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bonnymaster
Reviewed 1 November 2011

About two and a half years ago I watched a travel report about Tallinn. Since that moment the city dominated my city trip list. A few months ago I finally found a vacant spot in my work schedule and that of a good friend. We planned our trip from 27 till 30 October 2011.

We decided to book our trip via a touroperator, because they offer deals (free nights and such). It also meant that our choice of hotels was limited, we only had 4 hotels to choose from. After calculating the prices, checking reviews on Tripadvisor and comparing we decided that Hotel Clarion Euroopa offered the best price for the highest quality.

LOCATION
We had done our research well, so we knew in advance that Clarion is located just outside the Old Town, overlooking the ferry port and a small marina (which at the time of our visit was almost empty, but it should present a lovely view during the summer). To go to the Old Town we walked through the Rotermann quarter to Viru Gate, that stroll took about 10 minutes. To reach the Town Hall square itself, the city center, it was about 15 minutes walking from the hotel. Although it usually took us a bit longer, because of all the souvenir shops in Viru!

ROOM
Our room (FYI: 532) was very spacious. We had twin beds put together, a nightstand each, a large writing desk, well stocked minibar, a couch soft chair and low table at the window, safe, telephone, ironing board, 2 large (from floor to ceiling) closets for clothes and other stuff, a large mirror, luggage storage and a flatscreen tv. There was a very good hotel information folder, with the breakfast times, but also some background information on the hotel, a list of tv channels and some other practical information. There were no coffee and tea making facilities in the room.

I didn’t sleep well, the bed wasn’t my thing. One of the pillows was too hard, the other was soft enough but too thick. The blankets came undone each night, I had to “bike” in my bed otherwise my feet would be uncovered. It was annoying especially because my friend had 3 good nights!

The bathroom was small, with a toilet and sink on the left side and a shower (which took up half of the bathroom) on the right. There was a huge crack in the sink, some people might be annoyed by this, but hygiene is much more important to me and the bathroom was simply impeccable. I especially liked the tiles, it never took more than an hour for them to dry on their own after I took a shower. A takes all day for my shower at home to dry on its own! There are several towels, 2 glasses, some shampoo, a hair dryer, large mirror and make-up mirror.

Our room overlooked the marina and some sort of shopping center (in front of us), the ferry port (on the right) and the north part of the Old Town with the St. Olav’s Church (on the left).

And last but not least there is Sammi, the hotel mascotte. It’s a cute fluffy sheep, he welcomes you in your room. You’ll find that many souvenir shops in Tallinn sell products related to sheep and sheep’s wool, so it’s probably a very Estonian thing…… you can buy Sammi (which I did), he costs € 10.

BREAKFAST
I had read many things about breakfast (limited and crowded when there’s a group staying), so I knew not to get my hopes up for this most important meal of the day. Now, after having stayed in Clarion, I think it depends on what type of breakfast person you are! People who like or prefer English breakfast will have no problem at all. However, if you, like me, can only stomach continental then it’s indeed quite limited. The first morning the only thing I could find was a dark baguette. It improved on the next mornings during the weekend, but we didn’t change our breakfast time (we went down at 9h15 every day).

Not to worry though, as many reviews have already mentioned, there is a shopping center behind the hotel (just across the street) with a large supermarket. They have everything and many many many different sorts of bread and sandwiches.

STAFF
Check-in and check-out went very smoothly. Upon check-in we mentioned that our luggage had missed the connecting flight from Copenhagen to Tallinn and that the airport would send our luggage in the evening. We asked if the luggage could be delivered to our room and the hotel staff made sure that happened. At first I thought the staff were kind, but in a reserved manner. According to my guidebook that’s part of the culture. The last two days they (especially the male staff) were more open and we actually had a good laugh with them.

SERVICES
Even though you can easily walk to the Old Town the hotel has a shuttle service. There is a bus departing the hotel to the Old Town at 11h00, 13h00 and 18h00. The same bus returns from the Old Town at 11h10, 13h10 and 18h10. You have to register at the hotel reception. We didn’t use this service. We did use the hotel transfer service to the airport on our last day. Prices are mentioned throughout the hotel, we paid 7 euros for a 10 minute ride.
The luggage room is free to use.
You can buy postcards and small souvenirs at the hotel reception, but be aware of the prices. The same products cost – 50% in a souvenir shop!
There is a computer with internet in the lobby, it's free to use.

THE VERDICT – on the plus side
+ spacious hotel > lobby, rooms, breakfast room
+ clean bathroom, terrific shower
+ friendly staff
+ free wifi (first time for me, I just loved being able to read my morning paper on my phone)
+ location > quietly located, nice view, shopping center ATM and mailbox behind the hotel, one of the sightseeing buses stops a bit further down the road
+ enough power-points in the room (I counted 5) to charge and use all our electrical equipment

THE VERDICT – on the down side
- breakfast > too little continental options
- the décor of the rooms > to me it looks like a room from ….. (fill in the gap yourself) that could use an update, but the reception told me (I didn’t complain about the décor, it just came up in the conversation) that the décor is very Estonian.

Do I recommend Clarion?
Yes, if you don't mind being somewhat outside the Old Town.

Would I return?

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the marina and ferry port
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends