“Don't go to this hotel.”
Review of St Olav Hotel

St Olav Hotel
Ranked #73 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Reviewed 24 August 2011

I went to the hotel with my family on middle of july. It is my first time for me to be here, in Talinn. The first impression after i went down from the ferry from Helsinki that is this town is so nice. Of course , i catch a yellow taxi which is talkative and describe ( i just know later that my hotel just 800 meter aways but he charge me 15 Euros!!!) . It is typical for first time tourister to charge like this. That is my first fool. but another fool come so fast. I went to hotel ST. OLAV in old town. First thought at least, i got a nice location hotel which is easy access to square ( I can't remember the name ) . I booked two room one for my uncle and another for my family. No bell boy just that hotel come and point out to the room. they put my uncle,63 on the room with no window and no even airflow . and for my my family they put us on the room beside the street which near the hotel night club or bar and they said this is your big suit.. Oh i think of that it fool me another time estonia... OK. it 's gonna be ok. but for the first night is like a hell my dad and my mom they are 60. the night club still play their dance song and very lound all night long. I can't stand anymore and ask the hotel manager that could you please change my room, he said sorry our hotel is fully booked (After i see someone walk in and ask for the room, the room still available!!!) they said tomorrow they will do it for our family. the second day i ask hotel manager again that could you please change my room,they said that you have to wait. I can't wait anymore because lastnight the hotel pub close around 4 and they let their customer drink until morning so i can't sleep all night long and of course my parent also can't sleep. i decide to check out before 1 night . the hotel manager said ok you can go and write down on my booking that i left the hotel and stay for 1 night. My agent book a new nice hotel outside the oldtown. OK. after i get back to my country i hope to get refund one night that i have paid. Do you know what the hotel said to me is that " it is impossible to get refund" Ami wrong? I have to accept the bad condition when i have already paid. ?

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank thiti s
There are newer reviews for St Olav Hotel

Reviewed 23 August 2011

Surely the basic requirement of any hotel is a decent nights sleep. Unfortunately, it's difficult to get one at Hotel St Olav. The hotel sells itself on its historic charm, which is pleasant, until you can hear EVERY sound from the next rooms. This includes the TV, conversations and even snoring. The quieter rooms are at the back, and even then only when people aren't sitting on the courtyard. If you are unlucky enough to be on the front of the hotel, you have to contend with a pub and a night club which looks like a strip bar right next door.

We knew when we booked that there was no AC and thought it might not be a problem in the Baltic nations. How wrong we were. The weather was mild (about 20 degrees) and our room was unbearable. You can open the window, but ours opened to the courtyard meaning a) more noise and b) smoke smells coming into the room from the smokers on the courtyard. They provide a fan which - guess what - is so noisy its definitely not suitable for a bedroom!

The reception desk and service is surly at best. The breakfast is decent for free, however, I wouldn't expect too much.

The one advantage to this hotel is its location (hence why I've given it 2/5)... but I am sure you can do better in Tallinn. Don't let this place spoil your stay in a great city. Not recommended at any price.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ombro
Reviewed 22 August 2011

this is absolutely not acceptable. They wrote to me it was an emergency and they have to cancel and offered a lousy sibstitute outside the city to which we did not agree. With all tickets booked, we had to look for another hotel just 24 hours before sailing to Tallinn from Stockholm. People here in TripAdvisor shared same experience about Olevi hotel, which I guess belongs to same group as St. Olav, since they have common web-site. They say they let people make reservations for cheap well beforehand on the internet and confirm them, only to wait and see if they can get more money for same rooms closer to the dates.

BTW we passed the hotel on the street as we finally got to Tallinn, and there was no sign of any emergency situation. Whatever it was, cancellation on such shot notice is not acceptable.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank FlyingKindergarten
Reviewed 17 August 2011

We Booked this hotel through Tripsta.co.uk and when we arrived from Edinburgh we were told that the hotel was overbooked and we were getting moved to their sister hotel Olevi Residents Hotel. We were given no apology and when we asked to speak to the manager we were told that she was off for the weekend. We tried calling our travel agent Tripsta.co.uk and their office was closed and the emergency numbers we were given would not connect. We had no option but to accept the change of hotel (4 star to a 3 star) and the only room they had was a twin in the basement with no window or air conditioning. Again there was only the receptionist on at the hotel and no management available to speak to and both hotels refused to call the manager at home. The St Olav has 104 rooms and for a 4 star hotel with no manager on duty is a disgrace!

I travel a lot on business and take lots of city weekend breaks and have never experienced anything like this before especially from a 4 star rated hotel. Not once were we offered any apology from either hotel, we were just told to take the problem up with our agent which we could not contact! We even looked at booking another hotel but the town was very busy that weekend and the rooms that were available were so expensive!

I have written to both the hotel and Tripsta.co.uk and still waiting for a reply to this disaster of a weekend break.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank stevegilmour
Reviewed 16 August 2011

great hotel with friendly staff. lots of character. if your in rooms 331 332 watch out for the beam.........

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Hi, I chose this Hotel as an expert. I was born in Estonia and know Tallinn very well. Previously we stayed in Olympia which as also fab, but this time I wanted to show my English partner old chic. And there is no other Hotels as St Olav!! Knowing very well that English people like Original features and spirit of old architecture I was sure that St Olav would be the ONE. Estonian and Russian art put in one in this Castle-like bulding. Great all year around. Its NOT for a yound couple or Stag Do or Hen night crowd tho. Its more sort of romantic, stylish place. Best features:
1. It is right in the Old Town, well 1 min walk to main Square.
2. If you like long labirinths coridors and antique furniture and sqeaky floors - it is for you.
3. My daughter thought we were staying in Princess castle, it does give a feeling of living in the Palace.
4. Decent, small rooms. Not noisy if in the back of the Hotel.
5. Nice continental breakfast.
6. A Bar downstairs is VERY stylish, open till 2am and later; so guests of the Hotel had their own path to get to the Bar; fresh decent cocktails and good food were served. Not cheap, nearly London prices. It was great to sit in that cosy bar after long trips around and other bar adventures nowing - you only few floors away from you bed:).
I cannot list many bad things but still:
1. You cannot expect a modern chic in a hotel that tries to keep old original features. Yes, there was a bit of sewage smell in the bathroom as other guests noticed.
2. Two Striptease Bars right in the next in oposite buildings - well, my partner thought it was a BIG ADVANTAGE..kkk:)) Excited men leaving stripbars were very loud, so - Make sure you book the room facing the back of the hotel or in the back of it otherwise you will share all the experience! Then again, hotel is in Town Centre - so the noise will be there till 6am.
3. May be not 4-star Reception but very helpful.
Overall, it will be a great break for anyone who have not seen Tallinn yet. To get a sririt of Old ctown

Room Tip: Please book away from the front as Hotel in the centre of town, so all nightlife excitement will be...
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2011

The bedroom and bathroom in this hotel were very small and cramped,there was dust on headboard for the duration of our stay,the reception staff and diningroom staff were very stern faced,not a smile from any of them,only thing going for this place was the ample selection of food for breakfast,wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends