“Daugavpils, accommodation”

Ranked #5 of 17 Daugavpils B&B and Inns
Helsinki
“Daugavpils, accommodation”
Reviewed 7 October 2011

I think there is also several other nice possibilities to spend a night(s) in this quite nice Town, actually. There´s that obscure ´fragrance´ of a certain more or less ´slavish touch´ in the air in this corner of Europe of which I like ´mi manera´, but with N-O political connotations. Location of the Hotel "Duets" which is about 1,5-2 kms from the Centrum reminded me from the childhood when our family once lived near the Railways. There´s something nostalgic in that and I wasn´t disturbed about the noises - those public announcements from the loudspeakers by strange language in the evening lights.... In fact, it was rather nice to WALK back into the Hotel in the evening after a nice Italian or - if you prefer for example a Georgian meal. Without trying to paint too romantic picture here about the conditions there, I have to honestly say that I have only rarely - if ever- spent few nights in such a Nice Hotel with so economical price. And this view holds, subjectively. Room big enough for one person, nice wooden furnitures for the different items and clothes, dimming lights, colour -TV with remote control, refrigerator, remote-controlled air-cooler, renewed window-frames with no wind coming in unless one wants to -easily openable, bathroom like a new shining clean with a shower, papers, soaps, towels and some sort of hygienic paper if I remember correctly. Suburbian countryside neighbourhood view from the wood. What more I could hope, I mean reasonably? Anyway, Restaurant in the downstairs - through the fireplace-room - where the breakfast was served (included). I think also meals are available, though I for some reason ate mostly at the Town restaurants. I should have eat at the Hotel too - perhaps it had something to do with lot of walking, spending time every here and there plus certain ´timing´ of doing some things (like eating, for example). In the underground floor there´s infrared- sauna with about 10 euros/hour - interesting, but in some cases it might need little bit of ´adjusting´, depending who´s in charge in turn. But that´s human! And, all this was -believe it or not - in August for about 20 euros per night (below 25) for one person in a single room (large enough, big bed, tables, reading-lamps etc.). So I wasn´t sure should I laugh or cry for the extremely good price/quality-relation! Please notice that this is J-U-S-T my view, subjectively.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank dalzia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2011

This hotel is not in the city centre, but not far from it (perhaps 10-15 minutes walk). It is located in a new building. I'd stay there again but had some minor issues, read on!
I stayed in a lux/business class double bedroom which was spacious and nicely decorated in a Northern European style. Despite the hotel being full, I was not disturbed by other guests. The bed was very, very wide. Breakfast was basic Northern European; bread, veg, meat, cheeze, fried egg, cereal, juice and coffee. Bathroom with shower. They can probably make porridge etc if you ask. The staff was extremely pleasant, friendly and helpful. They speak mainly Russian and Latvian but enough English that international customers can can be accommodated. Free Wifi works fine.

I had some minor issues that I would like to warn other travellers about: Firstly, you will not be able to sleep with the windows open because there are announcements on some nearby rail depot throughout the night. You will also be able to feel the sensation as heavy goods trains pass on the railway line nearby, the floor is ever so slightly vibrating. This did not disturb me while I was sleeping though. Although there was an air conditioning unit mounted to the wall but I was not able to understand how to operate it with the remote control. If you want to use this, ask the staff before you are already in bed. No lift, but you will get help carrying heavy luggage up the stairs. Sheet not large enough for the truly massive bed in my room - the sheets were all over the place in the morning. I'd stay there again despite these minor issues and I recommend the hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo